GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Terrorism? Did a simple game cause sep 11"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/02/03 at 00:12
Regular
Britain and America or on the verge of war, Britain is in process of trying to get France to back its forces. But why is there need to go to war, what’s sparked it all off. What posed the east as a big threat? All I can say is never under estimate the power of other countries, we know how powerful America is these days, we’ve seen the films with all the jets and bombs filmed in America but we have never seen this in Iraq so I warn you all. Never say that Iraq is weak because its not just forces needed in a war, its intelligence. World war one saw the loss of thousands of soldiers in one day just because it was planned awfully. And most people today said that the leader who controlled the forces at the time was a murdered for sending troops in the way he did. Anyway back to the report.
A year and a half ago, September the 11th 2001, we all remember it. I was off that day sick, I turned on my TV to find a tower on smoke then 5 minutes later I saw the 2nd plane hit the tower live, at the time they all said it was an accident till the second plane hit. But where does the training to high jack a plane come from.
The training and courage to get a gun, go up to a pilot and say im in control, were was the security, where they too busy looking at the cabin crew walk past or in the local coffee bar eating anything they could.
I come back to the point of the gun going to the pilot. The plane was in trouble, under threat yet the pilot did nothing, now I’m not saying he should of said to air traffic some one has a gun to my head at the moment what do I do as he would of been dead within the second but what I do say is why dint he use the transponder to and set it to 7700. The transponder is a unit on aircraft which when set to the right frequency tell air traffic control where the plane is exactly on radar. By setting the frequency to 7700(I think that’s the code) he would of sent a distress call to airtrafic control telling them in code using no voice at all that the plane was under attack, now I know having a gun to your head isn’t easy to do anything with courage but he could of simply made it look like it was part of flying.
Before you say ,but the terrorists had control of the plane, I cant agree more but the pilots must of had a chance to do this, and to be onset even though they didn’t I wouldn’t blame them, I cant see them been able to do anything with a gun to their head
But how did the pilots know what they were doing, I mean they couldn’t of had a simulating machine that cost around 1 billion dollars but they probably had a pc with flight simulator 2000 on it. And no joke at all was this what trained the pilots to control the planes. Ive played the game my self for hours on end and I know how simple it makes flying a plane and once you’ve played the game your self you will think the same I’m sure of it. One week in October last year I played the game a lot , on the following weekend I went on holiday to Italy during the flight I asked the cabin if I could see the cockpit and they said yes when I arrived I was kindly greeted by the pilots. I looked out the windows and down at the controls and there it was, Flight simulator, the exact look alike of it anyway. I said to the pilot is that a vor meter, is that your generator switch, is that your hsi indicator etc and the pilot said to yes to all of them. he said to me how do you know all this, have u trained or something your self, are you training to be a pilot of some sort and I said no, I learnt it all from one game that Microsoft distrubes very cheaply (compared to a real simulator)
Now I’m not being a show off here but lets say that if the pilots all of a sudden died and someone had to control the plane I would feel confident enough to do it, I know the controls my self and with a tiny bit of assistance from air traffic control id be able to land it with one big hit to the ground. But the terrorists of September the 11th only had to turn it and go straight in to a building.
The game its self is 10 out of 10 in my eyes but should it be banned for sale as we approach war, now I realise its too late to this as probably 3 million copies are out everywhere in the world probably more but should there be a ban on future games like this. I know my self that Microsoft have comenced work on the 2004 edition but would you be surprised if George bush said to Microsoft you cant sell it due to the war problems. I know I wouldn’t.
Each edition of the game gets more realistic, 2002 edition is more advanced that 2000 edition ,such things as gps more advanced, more flight planning, more scenery in large cities and ATC and interactive flying. So if 2004 was released it would obviously be more realistic and there fore teach more to those who are planning on crashing planes in to buildings.

So the over all questions are

Was it a game that caused them to crash a plane?
Should flight simulator be banned?
Did the game influence terrorists to use this method to attack America?

War isn’t everything you think it is. Sounds cool getting a gun and going in a shooting anything you see. Why does it sound cool thought. Is it because we have played the game and looks good to do in real life as someone else pointed out in a “Do games create violence” topic Are games like GTA III what make war look fun, shooting someone in a game is addictive but would you ever play your game again if someone came in your house and shot your family for fun just because the got the mix of “games” with “real life” this brings my next question of

Why do games mix so well with becoming real?

If you don’t understand that question look at it like this.
You have a crack at a Formula 1 game, you got addicted to it and played it for days on end as you do when you love one of your games, then out of look you find a formula one car on your drive (yeah rite! But let’s pretend you did) if you got in the car turned it on you would probably be able to get that car moving just because you have basic knowledge of the car from the F1 game you just played

Where are games going too far?
Or are games ok how they are?
Should they at least be a limit to how realistic they can get?

Thank you for reading my post. It’s a bit long. ( sorry about that )
Tue 11/02/03 at 08:25
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
I'm not attempting to insult you.

I am just telling you to sod off, stop popping your pathetic, pointless, stupidly biased and opinionated posts, and leave these forums alone.

Your nothing but a stupid 12 year old spammer.
GO
AWAY
Gimp....
Mon 10/02/03 at 23:01
Regular
"fabio2003.tk"
your like one of those people who do their best to try & insult but get no where.
Mon 10/02/03 at 23:00
Regular
"fabio2003.tk"
MEH whats about.
Mon 10/02/03 at 22:58
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
SHUT UP!!
GO AWAY!!

Argh, your seriously starting to do my head in....

Whatever you do, and I mean this, KEEP AWAY FROM TE LIFE FORUM!
MEH!
Stay here in the senseless asinine rambling area of which we know as FOG Chat.
It'w where you belong you gibbering fool
Mon 10/02/03 at 22:54
Regular
"fabio2003.tk"
I know its hard to imagine osama in an i.t depertment teaching the terrorisits the controls and keys. but it would teach you something.
Thu 06/02/03 at 19:29
Regular
"fabio2003.tk"
I WONDER IF IL WIN A GAD FOR THIS
Thu 06/02/03 at 16:45
Regular
"smelly boxers"
i played on flight simulater a year ago and i crashed into the ifle tower im not very good at flying
Thu 06/02/03 at 09:46
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
Smashed wrote:
. But
> where does the training to high jack a plane come from.
> The training and courage to get a gun, go up to a pilot and say im
> in control, were was the security, where they too busy looking at the
> cabin crew walk past or in the local coffee bar eating anything they
> could.

as far as I'm aware there were no guns involved in the hijacking, just an unspecified number of terrorists and I think boxcutter knives...
They recreated the flight of the final plane to go down on a television documentary using the known facts about what happened, and it would seem that the terrorists rushed the cockpit and threatened that there was a bomb on board.

> I come back to the point of the gun going to the pilot. The plane
> was in trouble, under threat yet the pilot did nothing, now I’m not
> saying he should of said to air traffic some one has a gun to my head
> at the moment what do I do as he would of been dead within the second
> but what I do say is why dint he use the transponder to and set it to
> 7700. The transponder is a unit on aircraft which when set to the
> right frequency tell air traffic control where the plane is exactly on
> radar. By setting the frequency to 7700(I think that’s the code) he
> would of sent a distress call to airtrafic control telling them in
> code using no voice at all that the plane was under attack, now I know
> having a gun to your head isn’t easy to do anything with courage but
> he could of simply made it look like it was part of flying.
> Before you say ,but the terrorists had control of the plane, I cant
> agree more but the pilots must of had a chance to do this, and to be
> onset even though they didn’t I wouldn’t blame them, I cant see them
> been able to do anything with a gun to their head

I would suspect that the pilots may have been killed or removed from the cockpit area before they could do anything as the terrorist pilots were flying the planes...

> But how did the pilots know what they were doing, I mean they
> couldn’t of had a simulating machine that cost around 1 billion
> dollars but they probably had a pc with flight simulator 2000 on it.
> And no joke at all was this what trained the pilots to control the
> planes. Ive played the game my self for hours on end and I know how
> simple it makes flying a plane and once you’ve played the game your
> self you will think the same I’m sure of it.

The terrorists took flying lessons in america, trained to be jumbo jet pilots so they could fly the jets, they however never completed the section on how to land the jets.

Simulation games are designed to do that, make the thing that its simulating seem easy like formula one games.
Take for example the tv program Faking it, where one week a person who was an 'expert' at driving games was given the chance to drive a car in a race...
He claimed to know how to drive the race lines, car set ups, the right time to change gears and an expert in overtaking... throughout the trainig and the race he was rubbish.

If it was as simple as playing a flight sim to learn to fly then some practical experience then airlines wouldn't pay huge sums of money to get pilots qualified.

I think the SAS would laugh at me if I applied for a job based on playing first person shooters and being good at them.
Thu 06/02/03 at 09:31
Regular
"EX - Staff Flirt"
Canna be influenced by something that wasn't around (or released)
Thu 06/02/03 at 09:31
"I hate that!!!"
hmm well there's a lot to argue about here.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.