GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MGS2 - A bit disappointing"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/01/02 at 17:16
Regular
I finally gave in and bought a US import copy of MGS2 on Saturday from my local CEX and I’ve gotta' be honest, I can't remember being so disappointed in a game for ages!

After all the damn build-up it isn't all that! The story is so convoluted its unbelievable, it makes one of those lame American soap operas seem like a work of genius! Cut scenes can last up to 10 minutes (and that’s not exaggerating!) and in some cases cut scenes actually has it’s own cut scenes – go figure that one out! And just to clarify, I like a good cut scene as much as the next man, they help add tension to the game and build the story line, but in MGS2 the story line is soooo weak you end up not caring!

Add to this the fact that in many places it's very similar to MGS, here are two examples. In MGS2 there is a torture scene (sound familiar ?) and guess what, your character has a codec romance with a fellow operative – how original? After so long in development I really through Konami could come up with something a little better! It not like they’ve been rushed on this project!

Before I actually played the game I really couldn’t understand how a couple of the PS2 magazines had only given MGS2 7/10 or 72% but now I’ve finally played it I totally agree. It’s an 80% game maximum – and to be honest that is being generous!

I know that most of you will have played the MGS2 demo and were probably blow away – hell I was when I played it. But I gotta’ say the bit you played in the demo is by far the best bit of the entire game – no joke, in fact I wish it was, but it true!

I know everyone is still going to buy the game, and rightly so as you have gotta’ make up your own mind, but for me I actually prefer MGS on PSone! Maybe it was because of the huge amount of hype, maybe my expectations were raised to high but I can’t shake the feeling that Konami have wasted a huge opportunity here.

I know that I’m probably going to get people flaming me for saying what I just have but it’s only my opinion. All I can say is don’t get carries away by the hype and wait until you’ve actually played the game yourself before proclaiming it to be the ‘greatest game of all time’ tm!

I just hope the next Metal Gear game makes up for the disappointment!
Tue 15/01/02 at 13:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The King said, in his opinion, it wasn't the best game ever for him.

He's not saying he is right, or that he is the sole voice on games.

Make up your own minds.
Just because someone says something is disappointing, doesn't make that any less valid than someone who says it's excellent.

It's the same as clapping your hands over your ears and shouting "CAN'T HEAR YOU!"
Tue 15/01/02 at 12:56
I know that it will be wicked because i am saton and i know everyting
Tue 15/01/02 at 12:44
Regular
Nik wrote:
> I think that the game will be wicked and can't wait to play it. It will be much
> better than the first one aswell

how do you know? it could be crap we will have to wait and see
Tue 15/01/02 at 12:41
I think that the game will be wicked and can't wait to play it. It will be much better than the first one aswell
Tue 15/01/02 at 12:35
Regular
We are all entitled to are opinions. if he dont think it is "the best game ever" then just wait until you have played the whole game and prove him wrong. There is no point trying to win an argument when one of you aint even played the game yet.
KR
Tue 15/01/02 at 12:15
"You love us!"
Kni9h£ wrote:
> The_King wrote:
> Kni9h£ wrote:
> U LIE!!!!!!!!!

No sadley i'm
> not lying! However,
> what i've said about Metal gear 2 is only my opinion,
> you may think it's the
> best thing since time began. But for me it's just a
> huge disapointment.

And
> as i said, don't judge a game you haven't
> played - just because you're told a
> game is going to kick butt, doesn't
> always mean that it will. Wait until you've
> actually played the full game
> - then come back and tell me what you think about

Well acctually sorry your
> wrong as u say 'don't judge a game you haven't played it' Well that where u r
> wrong m8 i got the game far be4 u did coz my dad works for konami europe and he
> got me a copy ASAP and ,nobody should listen 2 u coz,it is astoundingly good
> ,gameplay is best ever,flowing movements of dead bodys dragged across the floor
> leaving trails of blood is amazing,to put it frankly to ya u dont have a clue
> what u r talking about.

How can my OPINION be wrong - it's mine, not yours!

Yes the game looks really good, as you say the animation is excellent, but to be honest I kinda' expect a second generation PS2 game to have top notch graphics - it almost goes without saying these days. I was commenting on the story and the overall feel of the game, which TO ME isn’t up to much.

If you really like the game then good for you, I hope you really enjoying playing it. But you've got to appreciate that is just your opinion; other people (me included) may not be so blown away.

To be honest posts like yours really drag the forum down to such a juvenile level it bores me - everyone is entitled to an opinion, just grow up and accept the fact that video games, and whether or not a game is good or bad, is totally subjective! No one, not even a games mag, can decide if YOU like a game – only the individual can!

Oh and by the way, when you've worked in the video games business and on games mags for 10 years, come back and THEN tell me I don't havea clue what I’m talking about. I was prolly writing games features/reviews/news before you knew what a joypad looked like - m8!
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:55
Regular
oh well if it is bad then at least i wont have payed for it =)
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:54
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Kni9h£ wrote:
> i dont like baby universe

Never heard of that. But some people may like it and tell you that your wrong for hating it, If anyone actually likes it that is.
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:52
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
how could konami stab all the fans in the back by releasing a crap mgs2 (i still have to try it my self first) but that would be a very big opertunity missed. (excuse the bad spelling)
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:50
Regular
"round the outside"
i dont like baby universe

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.