GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MGS2 - A bit disappointing"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/01/02 at 17:16
Regular
I finally gave in and bought a US import copy of MGS2 on Saturday from my local CEX and I’ve gotta' be honest, I can't remember being so disappointed in a game for ages!

After all the damn build-up it isn't all that! The story is so convoluted its unbelievable, it makes one of those lame American soap operas seem like a work of genius! Cut scenes can last up to 10 minutes (and that’s not exaggerating!) and in some cases cut scenes actually has it’s own cut scenes – go figure that one out! And just to clarify, I like a good cut scene as much as the next man, they help add tension to the game and build the story line, but in MGS2 the story line is soooo weak you end up not caring!

Add to this the fact that in many places it's very similar to MGS, here are two examples. In MGS2 there is a torture scene (sound familiar ?) and guess what, your character has a codec romance with a fellow operative – how original? After so long in development I really through Konami could come up with something a little better! It not like they’ve been rushed on this project!

Before I actually played the game I really couldn’t understand how a couple of the PS2 magazines had only given MGS2 7/10 or 72% but now I’ve finally played it I totally agree. It’s an 80% game maximum – and to be honest that is being generous!

I know that most of you will have played the MGS2 demo and were probably blow away – hell I was when I played it. But I gotta’ say the bit you played in the demo is by far the best bit of the entire game – no joke, in fact I wish it was, but it true!

I know everyone is still going to buy the game, and rightly so as you have gotta’ make up your own mind, but for me I actually prefer MGS on PSone! Maybe it was because of the huge amount of hype, maybe my expectations were raised to high but I can’t shake the feeling that Konami have wasted a huge opportunity here.

I know that I’m probably going to get people flaming me for saying what I just have but it’s only my opinion. All I can say is don’t get carries away by the hype and wait until you’ve actually played the game yourself before proclaiming it to be the ‘greatest game of all time’ tm!

I just hope the next Metal Gear game makes up for the disappointment!
Tue 15/01/02 at 20:48
Regular
The_King
"The one and only!"
Newbie stats
Yesterday at 7.12PM adrian wrote:
> I have it on pre-order, and am looking forward to playing it. Should still be
> pretty good, and probably better than most other PS2 games.

Have you
> completed it yet?

No not yet. I will complete it just to get the most out of whats on offer but to be honest i'm not really bothered.
It's like waiting for an Xmas present that you've wanted for months, only to find that when you finally get it you actually perfer the little surprise gift you got from your aunt!
It just doens't make me wanna' go back and play some more.
When i get hoem from work i'll prolly have a go on GT3 or Pro Evo - at least im playing those games because i genuinly like them, not becuase i 'should' like the game!

A sad day :-(
Tue 15/01/02 at 20:45
Tue 15/01/02 at 20:42
Regular
Tue 15/01/02 at 20:23
I couldn't be bothered reading all that bad stuff you wrote about MGS2, but I'll take your word.
Tue 15/01/02 at 17:43
Regular
"Bah"
weve waited so long we expect to be blown away and although i cant wait for the game to come out, FFX is looking more appealing at the moment as i can only afford one so GAd may help me! :)
MM
Tue 15/01/02 at 16:50
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I think I'll enjoy MGS2 cause I'm just a big fan of the series. Thing is I don't think all this months of hype has helped it. At times, even though I haven't played the game, I feel like I've completed it cause every mag gradually ruins every surprise each month and reveals all the stuff about it (which yes of course is their job).

Cause I'm really interested in the game, I watch and read about it, but sometimes they show stuff that I really don't wanna know about and it seems that key moments have been ruined for me cause I know whats gonna happen. I won't go into detail, but I think its the latest PSW mags DVD shows what happens to a harrier your pitted against at some point in the game - sorry, but I was so annoyed when they showed that cause for me that would have been a great moment to see in the game as I play, not on a damn mag DVD.

I mean a lot of it early on was down to Konami and it wasn't so bad at first, you had the bit taking place on the ship and then gradually you heard news of a new character and all different questions came along which was good cause it left you in suspense. But from there every little bit of speech has been stuffed into mags DVD's and now that the game is out overseas, mags are just printing out EVERYTHING and if you rearrange the info your getting and stuff, it pretty much feels like you know the whole story.

I think all this hype and news grabbing has just really let down a lot of people. When the first MGS came out, I wasn't buying too many mags at the time, the day it was released, it caught my eye and I thought "wow, I remember that on the nes !". I bought the box set and I loved the game. This time theres been month after month of spoilers and its just really too much.

As I said, I'll probably really like the game cause I'm a fan of MGS, but at the same time it feels like all the surprises have been spoilt for me.
Tue 15/01/02 at 13:55
Goatboy wrote:

It's the same as
> clapping your hands over your ears and shouting "CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

Thats exactly what I thought when reading theses responses.

When will people learn, denial just doesn't work.

On the flip side, it could still be mint. Look at Devil May Cry, "Dav1d" thought this game sucked big time ans an over hyped lemon of a title, whereas I though it to be one of the best games I ever did play.

Different strokes and all that.....
Tue 15/01/02 at 13:12
Regular
Longy:0) wrote:
> This game is going to be the best of the best of the best SIR!

I hope you are right, but I am sure The King is not the first one to have played and say it is naff, I am sure Beserker has also played it and he was disappointed. I think the poblem is the hype, we have heard about this game for over 18 months and so our expectations are very high. Will it deliver, or will a very good game disappoint because it is not so much better than everything else we have seen before.
Tue 15/01/02 at 13:11
Yes it will be
Tue 15/01/02 at 13:07
Regular
"WWJD"
This game is going to be the best of the best of the best SIR!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.