GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MGS2 - A bit disappointing"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/01/02 at 17:16
Regular
I finally gave in and bought a US import copy of MGS2 on Saturday from my local CEX and I’ve gotta' be honest, I can't remember being so disappointed in a game for ages!

After all the damn build-up it isn't all that! The story is so convoluted its unbelievable, it makes one of those lame American soap operas seem like a work of genius! Cut scenes can last up to 10 minutes (and that’s not exaggerating!) and in some cases cut scenes actually has it’s own cut scenes – go figure that one out! And just to clarify, I like a good cut scene as much as the next man, they help add tension to the game and build the story line, but in MGS2 the story line is soooo weak you end up not caring!

Add to this the fact that in many places it's very similar to MGS, here are two examples. In MGS2 there is a torture scene (sound familiar ?) and guess what, your character has a codec romance with a fellow operative – how original? After so long in development I really through Konami could come up with something a little better! It not like they’ve been rushed on this project!

Before I actually played the game I really couldn’t understand how a couple of the PS2 magazines had only given MGS2 7/10 or 72% but now I’ve finally played it I totally agree. It’s an 80% game maximum – and to be honest that is being generous!

I know that most of you will have played the MGS2 demo and were probably blow away – hell I was when I played it. But I gotta’ say the bit you played in the demo is by far the best bit of the entire game – no joke, in fact I wish it was, but it true!

I know everyone is still going to buy the game, and rightly so as you have gotta’ make up your own mind, but for me I actually prefer MGS on PSone! Maybe it was because of the huge amount of hype, maybe my expectations were raised to high but I can’t shake the feeling that Konami have wasted a huge opportunity here.

I know that I’m probably going to get people flaming me for saying what I just have but it’s only my opinion. All I can say is don’t get carries away by the hype and wait until you’ve actually played the game yourself before proclaiming it to be the ‘greatest game of all time’ tm!

I just hope the next Metal Gear game makes up for the disappointment!
Mon 14/01/02 at 17:16
"You love us!"
I finally gave in and bought a US import copy of MGS2 on Saturday from my local CEX and I’ve gotta' be honest, I can't remember being so disappointed in a game for ages!

After all the damn build-up it isn't all that! The story is so convoluted its unbelievable, it makes one of those lame American soap operas seem like a work of genius! Cut scenes can last up to 10 minutes (and that’s not exaggerating!) and in some cases cut scenes actually has it’s own cut scenes – go figure that one out! And just to clarify, I like a good cut scene as much as the next man, they help add tension to the game and build the story line, but in MGS2 the story line is soooo weak you end up not caring!

Add to this the fact that in many places it's very similar to MGS, here are two examples. In MGS2 there is a torture scene (sound familiar ?) and guess what, your character has a codec romance with a fellow operative – how original? After so long in development I really through Konami could come up with something a little better! It not like they’ve been rushed on this project!

Before I actually played the game I really couldn’t understand how a couple of the PS2 magazines had only given MGS2 7/10 or 72% but now I’ve finally played it I totally agree. It’s an 80% game maximum – and to be honest that is being generous!

I know that most of you will have played the MGS2 demo and were probably blow away – hell I was when I played it. But I gotta’ say the bit you played in the demo is by far the best bit of the entire game – no joke, in fact I wish it was, but it true!

I know everyone is still going to buy the game, and rightly so as you have gotta’ make up your own mind, but for me I actually prefer MGS on PSone! Maybe it was because of the huge amount of hype, maybe my expectations were raised to high but I can’t shake the feeling that Konami have wasted a huge opportunity here.

I know that I’m probably going to get people flaming me for saying what I just have but it’s only my opinion. All I can say is don’t get carries away by the hype and wait until you’ve actually played the game yourself before proclaiming it to be the ‘greatest game of all time’ tm!

I just hope the next Metal Gear game makes up for the disappointment!
Mon 14/01/02 at 17:19
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I have it on pre-order, and am looking forward to playing it. Should still be pretty good, and probably better than most other PS2 games.

Have you completed it yet?
Mon 14/01/02 at 17:44
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Finally got round to pre-ordering it, hey Adrian? I must say I'm starting to get a little worried by all these negative comments about it. Oh well, I'll always have my Gamecube to fall back on (hopefully)!!
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:09
Regular
"round the outside"
in sam s head strange things happen ........(gamecube PAH rubbish)........WH-WH-WH-WHAT

P.S. im a regular now!
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:12
"You love us!"
adrian wrote:
> I have it on pre-order, and am looking forward to playing it. Should still be
> pretty good, and probably better than most other PS2 games.

Have you
> completed it yet?

No not yet. I will complete it just to get the most out of whats on offer but to be honest i'm not really bothered.
It's like waiting for an Xmas present that you've wanted for months, only to find that when you finally get it you actually perfer the little surprise gift you got from your aunt!
It just doens't make me wanna' go back and play some more.
When i get hoem from work i'll prolly have a go on GT3 or Pro Evo - at least im playing those games because i genuinly like them, not becuase i 'should' like the game!

A sad day :-(
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:14
Regular
"round the outside"
U LIE!!!!!!!!!
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:27
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Uncle Albert wrote:
> Finally got round to pre-ordering it, hey Adrian?

Yep, normally I order the game a week or two in advance, so that I know what the games going to be like from reviews. But MGS2 will be a sell out, so pre-ordered it. I also had to renew my membership so I got a free gift aswell.
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:28
"You love us!"
Kni9hŁ wrote:
> U LIE!!!!!!!!!

No sadley i'm not lying! However, what i've said about Metal gear 2 is only my opinion, you may think it's the best thing since time began. But for me it's just a huge disapointment.

And as i said, don't judge a game you haven't played - just because you're told a game is going to kick butt, doesn't always mean that it will. Wait until you've actually played the full game - then come back and tell me what you think about it.

One mans meat is another mans poison - as the saying goes!
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:30
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Too me MGS2 has too much hyped surrounding it. GTA3 popped up with out too much fuss aswell as other games. MGS2 has been on everbodies tongue's ever since the PS2 was launched.

I've seen the screen shots and movies of when you are out in the sunlight. Every thing looks weird colours, and its too bright for the game. The ship looks good, as its all dark.

I think I will judge the game after I play it, as some people have different views about games.
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:33
"You love us!"
Couldn't agree with you more Adrian. liking or disliking a video game is totally subjective. Everyone should buy MGS2, play it and then decide for themselves - as i;m sure most people will!

After all i was only expersing my opinion.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.