GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wiping my Hard drive, Help please....."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/01/02 at 02:44
Regular
I want to wipe the C drive on one of my old computers. Can anybody tell me how to do this? Thanks.

Darkreaper
Sat 12/01/02 at 20:59
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
S'pose I could have seen that one coming ...
Sat 12/01/02 at 20:51
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Unusable? Phft!

The PC becomes more usable WIHTOUT Windows, because then you can install Linux. Like you ARE going to do. AREN'T you. :)
Sat 12/01/02 at 20:41
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
If Windows is installed on the C drive, I can imagine it wouldnt want to you format that drive from within Windows. So, like the others have said ... Start/Shutdown/"Restart in MS DOS mode", and then type format c:/

But then the machine's going to be unusable until you reinstall Windows. But you're OK with that, I assume.
Sat 12/01/02 at 19:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
So far?
Sat 12/01/02 at 16:37
To clear things up, one of my old computers is just full of usless stuff.
Due to my parents and my brother not understanding that you have to unistall things to completly remove them from your computer, have dumped quite a few things in the bin and emptied it, thus not properly uninstalling them. The computer runs really slow and a lot of programs just refuse to work either crashing half-way throw using them or just not starting up.
I've re-formatted the other two drives (i have three hard drives in this computer) just by right clicking on them and selecting "format" from the menu, which has worked but when i try it for the C drive it says it can't format it because windows is currently running software off that drive. One of my friends did say something about running something from DOS but i can't remember what he said excatly and i will not be speacking to him until next week.
Anyway, thanks for the help so far.

Darkreaper
Sat 12/01/02 at 14:01
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
To "wipe" a drive, all you have to do is get a damp cloth and give it a once-over.
Sat 12/01/02 at 13:31
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
exit Windows into DOS and uce the format c:\ method that TN said. I had to do this not long ago, so it is definitely right.
Sat 12/01/02 at 12:08
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yes, but then it wouldn't be "wiped" though would it. It's an OLD drive, I think he wants it for storage or something.
Sat 12/01/02 at 11:44
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Well then, why doesn't he just stuff everything in the recycle bin except for windows and then delete them?

It would take a whole lot longer, but hey, it would still work afterwards without worry of losing the OS.
Sat 12/01/02 at 11:18
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I think the idea is he doesn't want his files :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.