GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wiping my Hard drive, Help please....."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/01/02 at 02:44
Regular
I want to wipe the C drive on one of my old computers. Can anybody tell me how to do this? Thanks.

Darkreaper
Wed 16/01/02 at 08:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah, you need to ghet your BIOS to read the CD-ROM. The order should be:

Floppy
CD-ROM
Hard disks (hda specifically)

But, the Windows disk MUST contain a formatter?!
Wed 16/01/02 at 00:12
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Isn't this where that catch 22 arises, that you've got a machine that's got nice squeaky clean hard drives, and therefore won't boot, let alone read the CD in the first place? Or is a Win CD bootable? In which case, I'd need to change my BIOS settings, cos it only looks on the A drive and the hard drives.

But maybe you can get the machine up and running from the Windows Startup disk that you created (didnt you?) and then you can use the CD once you've got the DOS prompt.
Tue 15/01/02 at 23:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It comes on CDs doesn't it? That's how you install Win98 and Linux Mandrake/Debian.

Loading kernels off a floppy takes forever, and even Windows needs a kernel. Use the CD, my friend!
Tue 15/01/02 at 19:48
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Switch off the machine. Insert the Windows floppy disk, then boot up. When the computer checks for an A:\ drive, it will also read the disk in it.

Then follow the on-screen instructions.
Tue 15/01/02 at 16:59
Thanks for the Help.

Errr, just one more question. Once i've uninstalled Windows, how do i install it?
Sun 13/01/02 at 03:54
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh, cheers.
Sun 13/01/02 at 03:48
Which isn't biased. At all. Of course.

Well, it was remarkably good, actually..
Sun 13/01/02 at 00:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Aww... I was just joking! You know I was!

On the subject of Win vs Lin, I wasn't going to write a straight out-and-out comparison, but I am going to do a questionnaire that is based around OSs. It's to gauge your experience with computers.
Sat 12/01/02 at 23:51
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Rob, drop it, you're a zealot and it's just annoying now. If people ask, tell them, don't just shout about linux to us lot - it has several large flaws and windows does beat in various areas.

And if you consider starting windows VS linux you will SO get flamed..
Sat 12/01/02 at 22:06
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Aye!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.