GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Blatant GAD attempt: All about cartriges..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/01/02 at 13:55
Regular
People say that Nintendo's biggest mistake with the N64 was to use cartriges instead of CD media.

I disagree.
I think that it was the best decision they ever made.

Some say it discouraged the third party support, but I think that it was more because Nintendo discouraged it through high liscence fees and restrictions.
Others say that it stopped bigger games coming onto the system. Bar Final Fantasy (which wasn't going to happen anyway with Nintendo's feud with Square...) I think that most Playstation games (including Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid) could have been squeezed onto a cartrige with a slightly lower quality in music.

Whats more, smoe say, it made the N64 look even MORE like a kiddies toy.

So what, I say, it was all for the best.

Firstly, unlike CD's, you don't have to worry about dropping and scratching them...

But there is an even bigger reason.

What makes the Playstation look really old and outdated?

No, it's not the giant pixels so much as those horrible loading time. I know that with the N64 being released later, the CD player MIGHT have been a little bit faster, but not much.

Would it be a worth trade of for bigger games and better music quality?
Well you tell me!

I thought that the likes of Zelda, DK64, Mario and Perfect Dark were more or less big enough, often bigger than most Playstation games. Size wasn't a huge problem.

The music suffered in one or two third party games, but as you can see from Conker and Zelda, anyone who put the effort in got top quality out.

Now let me remind you how much you should appreciate the lack of loading times.

Do nothing for thirty seconds. Time it with a watch.

That was a real drag, wasn't it?

Now imagine having to wait that long before EVERY Goldeneye or Perfect Dark deathmatch, or before every Mario Kart and F-zero race.

Yes, it would get VERY tiresome and multiplayer wouldn't be half as fun. THAT would what you'd have to put up with CD's.
Imagine Zelda. Everytime you go into a new area, shop or mini game, you might have to wait up to 10 seconds.

(Do nothing for 8 seconds).

Dull isn't it.
And imagine that EVERY time you went into a new area.

I don't think that cartriges are appreciated the way they should be.

Now, though, technology has progressed. Optical media is now faster and the PS2, Dreamcast both have little loading times. The Gamecube will have even less.

Some games are even said to seem seamless.

So cartriges are now obselete, but contrary to the opinion of most, they did they N64 proud.
Fri 11/01/02 at 13:55
Regular
People say that Nintendo's biggest mistake with the N64 was to use cartriges instead of CD media.

I disagree.
I think that it was the best decision they ever made.

Some say it discouraged the third party support, but I think that it was more because Nintendo discouraged it through high liscence fees and restrictions.
Others say that it stopped bigger games coming onto the system. Bar Final Fantasy (which wasn't going to happen anyway with Nintendo's feud with Square...) I think that most Playstation games (including Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid) could have been squeezed onto a cartrige with a slightly lower quality in music.

Whats more, smoe say, it made the N64 look even MORE like a kiddies toy.

So what, I say, it was all for the best.

Firstly, unlike CD's, you don't have to worry about dropping and scratching them...

But there is an even bigger reason.

What makes the Playstation look really old and outdated?

No, it's not the giant pixels so much as those horrible loading time. I know that with the N64 being released later, the CD player MIGHT have been a little bit faster, but not much.

Would it be a worth trade of for bigger games and better music quality?
Well you tell me!

I thought that the likes of Zelda, DK64, Mario and Perfect Dark were more or less big enough, often bigger than most Playstation games. Size wasn't a huge problem.

The music suffered in one or two third party games, but as you can see from Conker and Zelda, anyone who put the effort in got top quality out.

Now let me remind you how much you should appreciate the lack of loading times.

Do nothing for thirty seconds. Time it with a watch.

That was a real drag, wasn't it?

Now imagine having to wait that long before EVERY Goldeneye or Perfect Dark deathmatch, or before every Mario Kart and F-zero race.

Yes, it would get VERY tiresome and multiplayer wouldn't be half as fun. THAT would what you'd have to put up with CD's.
Imagine Zelda. Everytime you go into a new area, shop or mini game, you might have to wait up to 10 seconds.

(Do nothing for 8 seconds).

Dull isn't it.
And imagine that EVERY time you went into a new area.

I don't think that cartriges are appreciated the way they should be.

Now, though, technology has progressed. Optical media is now faster and the PS2, Dreamcast both have little loading times. The Gamecube will have even less.

Some games are even said to seem seamless.

So cartriges are now obselete, but contrary to the opinion of most, they did they N64 proud.
Fri 11/01/02 at 15:36
Regular
Although it IS a blatant GAD attempt, you all have my permission to read and reply to it making a discussion out of it.

Thank you.
Fri 11/01/02 at 16:41
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I think that Nintendo made a very good and sensible descision in sticking with cartridges for one last time. They didn't rush into the latest technology like Sony, and showed that with their 'know it all' carts can still be used for great gaming! Can you honestly say that you preffered Crash Bandicoot to Zelda: Ocarina of Time??? No. Sony could've waited to use the CD's but didn't even make an attempt with the cartridge system! Then they found that they're loosing money by piracy where as Nintendo weren't. And what about the GameBoy series, can you honestly call it 'un-successfull' because it uses cartridges?? No. But if yes, then why is it the world's no.1 all-time selling console???

When I say 'can you' I am not aiming it at you Starfex, just people in general. Good post, even if it is a blatant GAD attempt, like many people's.
Fri 11/01/02 at 17:32
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Cartridges are pretty cool
Fri 11/01/02 at 18:26
Regular
A gad attempt? In the ninty forum?

What were you thinking?!

Good post though. I hate loading times, but cartridges just aren't as competetive as disks these days.
Fri 11/01/02 at 21:51
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Feed a PSX CD and a N64 cart to your dog... once dog has spat out the Cart and Cd, once it has realised they taste pretty disgusting, see which one works (you should probably wipe off the drool first...)

I think we have a winner...
Sat 12/01/02 at 01:10
Regular
Give a cart user and a cd user each one cart, one cd and one dog.

See what still works:

Cd user - cd and cart still work.
Cart user - cart works, but is covered in slobber, cd is broken and dog has choked to death when a bit of disk got stuck in its throat.

I think we have a winner.
: )
Sat 12/01/02 at 01:43
Regular
Loading times was the main reason i stayed away from the Playstation.

I complete disgrace in my view. Driver 2 (Good game mind)..Smackdown 2...well, thats all i can think of (as i said, i wasnt a huge Playstation fan).

But why did i see the same problem on the PS2? Red faction anyone?

Loading times, as you said, lead to frustation. Especially on a game like Driver 2. On driver 2 it was very rare to do some of the levels on your first few goes. Some of them took me 10+ goes! Anyway, everytime you wanna do the level again...yep..gotta wait for it to load. ANd its damn annoying. Aside from the fact that you missed the target time by one second, you know gotta wait for the CD to spin round and round loading some stupid cut scene that you have already seen a thousand times! It makes you wanna chuck the thing outta the window!

Its Why N64 was the ultimate Multiplayer machine. Instant fun. Instant set up. Instant gameplay. We want everything now!
Sat 12/01/02 at 02:21
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I was playing ISS 64 with a mate today and I realised why it's a good thing that Nintendo have scrapped carts for cd's. Cos the size was very limited on the carts, not much speech could be stored on the carts. This lead to some really bad commentry for the games. Hopefully in ISS 2002 on Gamecube the commentry will be a tad better!

:)
Sat 12/01/02 at 02:30
Regular
heh lol, they didnt have player names on N64 carts with any football game.

NExt gen commentry still crap though. Have u played Pro evo soccer on PS2? great game, commentry has completly lost the plot though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.