GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Blatant GAD attempt: All about cartriges..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/01/02 at 13:55
Regular
People say that Nintendo's biggest mistake with the N64 was to use cartriges instead of CD media.

I disagree.
I think that it was the best decision they ever made.

Some say it discouraged the third party support, but I think that it was more because Nintendo discouraged it through high liscence fees and restrictions.
Others say that it stopped bigger games coming onto the system. Bar Final Fantasy (which wasn't going to happen anyway with Nintendo's feud with Square...) I think that most Playstation games (including Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid) could have been squeezed onto a cartrige with a slightly lower quality in music.

Whats more, smoe say, it made the N64 look even MORE like a kiddies toy.

So what, I say, it was all for the best.

Firstly, unlike CD's, you don't have to worry about dropping and scratching them...

But there is an even bigger reason.

What makes the Playstation look really old and outdated?

No, it's not the giant pixels so much as those horrible loading time. I know that with the N64 being released later, the CD player MIGHT have been a little bit faster, but not much.

Would it be a worth trade of for bigger games and better music quality?
Well you tell me!

I thought that the likes of Zelda, DK64, Mario and Perfect Dark were more or less big enough, often bigger than most Playstation games. Size wasn't a huge problem.

The music suffered in one or two third party games, but as you can see from Conker and Zelda, anyone who put the effort in got top quality out.

Now let me remind you how much you should appreciate the lack of loading times.

Do nothing for thirty seconds. Time it with a watch.

That was a real drag, wasn't it?

Now imagine having to wait that long before EVERY Goldeneye or Perfect Dark deathmatch, or before every Mario Kart and F-zero race.

Yes, it would get VERY tiresome and multiplayer wouldn't be half as fun. THAT would what you'd have to put up with CD's.
Imagine Zelda. Everytime you go into a new area, shop or mini game, you might have to wait up to 10 seconds.

(Do nothing for 8 seconds).

Dull isn't it.
And imagine that EVERY time you went into a new area.

I don't think that cartriges are appreciated the way they should be.

Now, though, technology has progressed. Optical media is now faster and the PS2, Dreamcast both have little loading times. The Gamecube will have even less.

Some games are even said to seem seamless.

So cartriges are now obselete, but contrary to the opinion of most, they did they N64 proud.
Sun 13/01/02 at 12:28
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
*chuckles at his own immensely witty comments*
Sun 13/01/02 at 12:27
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
ResÆvilfan wrote:
> It is a kiddie game (good one mind) but apart from the first loadup there's no
> loading times whatsoever, I just hope others follow in it's footsteps :-)

what? You want more kiddies games? But I thought they were only for silly little kids who weren't old enough to buy Playstations, so they had to stick with kiddie N64s and play kiddie games like Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie... and Conker...
;-)
Sun 13/01/02 at 12:19
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Or†ega wrote:
> I never went near FIFA 64 man. Heard too many bad things about it! It had
> player names in it? Ironic that the worst football game on the N64 had player
> names...Fifa 98 and World cup 98 didnt.

Yep, I played FIFA 64 and it's the worst footie game i've ever played! Even worse than the PS FIFA's!! They must have focused too much on the comentary, and not howit plays. I also have FIFA '98: RTtWC. I hate it and i'm gunna trade it in soon. ISS is much better!!
Sun 13/01/02 at 12:04
Regular
"Back For Good"
It is a kiddie game (good one mind) but apart from the first loadup there's no loading times whatsoever, I just hope others follow in it's footsteps :-)
Sun 13/01/02 at 11:58
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
ResÆvilfan wrote:

Jak and Daxter, so there :-)

Isn't Jak and Daxter just a kiddie game for 5 year olds? It looks all cartoony, so it must be rubbish and kiddie, not a good realistic game like Resi Evil (irony eh?) or Eternal Darkness.

;-)
Sat 12/01/02 at 23:46
Regular
"Back For Good"
Sibs wrote:
> ResEvilFan, I doubt the PS2 is faster loading than the GC... on certain games
> (Eternal Darkness I have heard) the developers actually had to increase the
> loading time (time with just a blank screen) between opening a door and seeing
> the next room, simply because the change was so quick (faster than on carts
> apparently) that it 'didn't feel right' or something like that.
>so there :p

Jak and Daxter, so there :-)
Sat 12/01/02 at 21:23
Regular
I heard that aswell Sibs
Sat 12/01/02 at 21:19
Regular
I never went near FIFA 64 man. Heard too many bad things about it! It had player names in it? Ironic that the worst football game on the N64 had player names...Fifa 98 and World cup 98 didnt.
Sat 12/01/02 at 21:13
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
ResEvilFan, I doubt the PS2 is faster loading than the GC... on certain games (Eternal Darkness I have heard) the developers actually had to increase the loading time (time with just a blank screen) between opening a door and seeing the next room, simply because the change was so quick (faster than on carts apparently) that it 'didn't feel right' or something like that.

so there

:p
Sat 12/01/02 at 19:05
Regular
This is a really good post and i agrre with you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.