GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graphics aren't important at all......"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/02/03 at 18:28
Regular
Not really! Graphics are very important, read on…

What makes a good game, obviously gameplay really, because if a game isn’t fun no-one is going to want to play it, but everyone says graphics aren’t important, is this strictly true?

If you came across two games in a shop that you had never ever heard of, and they were the only two whose descriptions appealed to you, after looking at the pictures which would you get, just because one has better graphics than the other definitely does not mean it will be the better game, but who is to say the other one does not have terrible graphics AND gameplay. (this is a completely theoretical situation, don’t come out with “I wouldn’t buy a game I’ve never heard of” please…)

The truth is the graphics would influence your decision, whether you like it or not, and in situations where people say graphics aren’t important that isn’t strictly true either, however much you like a series of game you don’t want to see horrible frame rates, or single-textured characters.

Graphics ARE important, can you imagine playing a fast paced game with very basic textures, or clashing colours, with loads of bright reds and the like, graphics are the fourth dimension of a game, the atmosphere, the tension and the communication between the game and the player are controlled by the graphics.

Graphics are an integral part of every game, and this is undeniable – as important as gameplay is, graphics cannot be discounted as unimportant.

Look at Resident Evil on the gamecube, as good as it was on the playstation, the gameplay itself remains almost unchanged, yet it is a vastly superior game, because of the atmosphere created by the sublime graphics.

Thoughts?
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:28
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
You do have some valid points there Memo(I know how much you hate that)

:)

Graphics can add a certain atmosphere to a game, like your example, Resident Evil. Would you be as scared if the zombies were just little purple pixlated thingies, there would be no brains or nasty bits to scare you. Severely reducing the scary atmosphere, which have made the Resident Evil games popular.

Also, Splinter Cell for the X-Box has amazing graphics and fantastic gameplay, but all of the shadows provided by the detailed lighting effects add a lot more life to the game. I wonder if the PS2 version will be as good since I doubt the PS2 will be able to provide the same kind of atmosphere as the X-Box version.

But some games are acceptable, mainly the GTA games, but even they have now tried to improve the graphics, because lets face it, they dont need to do much about gameplay.
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:24
Regular
"Thats Me!!!"
you do need graphics or games would be rubbish you wouldnt go out and spend 40quid on one would you!
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:05
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
But seriously, graphics do influence opinions of games, no-one wants to play FIFA at 5 frames per second, wait, this already happens (bad example)

No-one wants to play Mario at 5fps, do they, or have big purple blobs everywhere.
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:03
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Blast. I hate it when childish remarks backfire. Which is all the time.
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:01
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
A small purple marmot from Turkey that has an infected foot and so is hobbling gently down the road.
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:00
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
BEARDS. wrote:
> But we already know you're an idiot, maybe you're a masochist as well.

I know you are but what am I?

:P
Fri 14/02/03 at 18:59
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
BEARDS. wrote:
> But we already know you're an idiot, maybe you're a masochist as well.

Heh.
Told...
Fri 14/02/03 at 18:55
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Memorandum wrote:
> Then suppose you were a rich idiot, and they were the only two games
> left in the world ever, and there were no reviews, just the pictures
> and descriptions on the box....

That will never happen. Not to me at any rate.....
Fri 14/02/03 at 18:54
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
But we already know you're an idiot, maybe you're a masochist as well.
Fri 14/02/03 at 18:53
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Then suppose you were a rich idiot, and they were the only two games left in the world ever, and there were no reviews, just the pictures and descriptions on the box....

You are not likely to choose the graphically horrendous one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.