GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graphics aren't important at all......"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/02/03 at 18:28
Regular
Not really! Graphics are very important, read on…

What makes a good game, obviously gameplay really, because if a game isn’t fun no-one is going to want to play it, but everyone says graphics aren’t important, is this strictly true?

If you came across two games in a shop that you had never ever heard of, and they were the only two whose descriptions appealed to you, after looking at the pictures which would you get, just because one has better graphics than the other definitely does not mean it will be the better game, but who is to say the other one does not have terrible graphics AND gameplay. (this is a completely theoretical situation, don’t come out with “I wouldn’t buy a game I’ve never heard of” please…)

The truth is the graphics would influence your decision, whether you like it or not, and in situations where people say graphics aren’t important that isn’t strictly true either, however much you like a series of game you don’t want to see horrible frame rates, or single-textured characters.

Graphics ARE important, can you imagine playing a fast paced game with very basic textures, or clashing colours, with loads of bright reds and the like, graphics are the fourth dimension of a game, the atmosphere, the tension and the communication between the game and the player are controlled by the graphics.

Graphics are an integral part of every game, and this is undeniable – as important as gameplay is, graphics cannot be discounted as unimportant.

Look at Resident Evil on the gamecube, as good as it was on the playstation, the gameplay itself remains almost unchanged, yet it is a vastly superior game, because of the atmosphere created by the sublime graphics.

Thoughts?
Fri 14/02/03 at 21:59
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
But would you not agree that graphics enhance the atmosphere of a game.
Fri 14/02/03 at 21:56
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
I disagree. But then I'm quite happy playing FFIV-VI which only look any good on a 14" TV from about 3 metres away. And I still play the original Master Of Orion, which is 1994ish, and has huge blocky graphics, and the original Civ, and Llamatron.
Fri 14/02/03 at 21:53
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I see my post has been forgotten in the hands of time.
Fri 14/02/03 at 20:18
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
I agree entirely, I mean look at tetris!
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:58
"possibly impossible"
Memorandum wrote:
> Then suppose you were a rich idiot, and they were the only two games
> left in the world ever,

If that were the case, I'd kill myself over the fact that there were only two games in existence, what kind of life would that be?!
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:52
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I agree with you completely Lou Role, especially about GTA, the gameplay in it is unsurpassed, but by improving the graphics they make it a more attractive game, and it encourages more exploration, as if the city looks nicer, people are going to want to see it more etc.

Anyone agree?
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:34
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Heh. Nice one BEARDY.

Can I call you that??

*No*

OK, sorry....
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:31
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Nuggetandchip wrote:
> BEARDS how do you become a staff?

You answer an advertisment and go to an interview.

>do you get paid?

Yes. Just about.

> Can you still win
> games? Or do they pay you a game a week?

No.
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:30
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Don't spam up my thread. Idiot.
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:29
Regular
"Thats Me!!!"
BEARDS. wrote:
> A small purple marmot from Turkey that has an infected foot and so is
> hobbling gently down the road.

BEARDS how do you become a staff? do you get paid? Can you still win games? Or do they pay you a game a week (your choice)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.