GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"REZ"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/02/03 at 14:57
Regular
Today I recieved a parcel through my door, I opened it with excitement and inside was a mint copy of Rez. I had been expecting as I won a bid for it online. The waiting was over, but it was worth the wait.

Many people have said that Rez is a game that is a bit like Marmite, you either 'Love it' or 'Hate it'. I can clearly say, that I LOVE it. As soon as I put the disk into my Dreamcast, a huge breath of fresh air hit me. Rez is unlike ANY game I have played in my life. It is addictive yet fairly challenging at the same time. It is so hard to describe this game, but it is one which I immediately fell in love with. What is even more strange, is that after 5 minutes of playing this game, a smile was on my face, I was loving every minute of this remarkable original game. It has been a long time since I have felt this content and happy about a game. To put it bluntly, it strikes emotions you never knew where inside you. There is an undescribable feeling you have whilst playing this game (apart from feeling as if you are on a high).

Many of you, will look at screenshots of it on the internet, or read reviews of it, and shrug it off. I was the same, I saw the 'boring' wireframe graphics and read the reviews of it, 'not working quite as well as it should'. Thats rubbish, as soon as the game starts on the first stage, the whole room is filled with vibrant colours and massive spheres glowing, whilst enemies flash past you as you desperately try to target them to create a chain reaction of hits, which creates a tune that plays. Combining this tune wih the background sound adds to the unique experience even more! In my view, nothing in a game is more important that originality, and Sega have done it again. This is without doubt one of the most original games ever made. Some call it a musical shooter, other call it adventure. I call it all of those, take all the descriptions, wrap them up in one and slap them on a Dreamcast disk and that is Rez.

Rez might not sell millions, in fact not many people have heard of it. But I dont want this game to go without being heard first. It is a shame few copies where made, but I recommend everyone to play this game, and to experience the delights of Rez, a unique, vibrant, addictive game that just screams for you to play it. So if you ever do come across a little known title, by the name of Rez. Dont walk by ignorant, give it a try. It might not be for everyone, but I can gauarante that it will get respect, because in a world of sequels and ports Rez really is a 'breath of fresh air.'

Thanx.
C_K
Sun 16/02/03 at 13:34
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Nomad $oul wrote:
> Hey, glad you like it C_K! Cool game. I'm praying for a sequel with
> more levels and perhaps a surreal storyline.

--Thanx Nomad, Im glad you liked the post.

I hope there will be a sequel. But I don't think it sold that well. I think the PS2 version had a story mode and a few unlockable things. As for the Dreamcast version, all that had was 'Travelling' and 'Game', which is very short, but very addictive.

It is one of my favourite Sega games, probably because its sooo original and refreshing. At the moment, I have got to the third boss. Pretty hard, but Im going to keep trying. I definitely owe Sega by completing the game. After all, it aparently took 3 years to make Rez!!!

New levels would be amazing. Just think of how great they could make Rez look on a more powerful console.
Sun 16/02/03 at 11:30
Regular
Hey, glad you like it C_K! Cool game. I'm praying for a sequel with more levels and perhaps a surreal storyline.
Sun 16/02/03 at 10:47
"Uzi Lover"
I was going to pick this up for £14.99 on the PS2 as it was in the bargain bin at Choices round the corner. I had heard it was great and all but at the time didn't have the money.

I wonder if it's still there...
Sun 16/02/03 at 00:28
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
DreamWarBird wrote:
> Console_kid wrote:
> What are peoples views of Rez?
>
> I need a copy first! But i aint paying over the odds for it!!

--Such a shame, cos it really is a game that everyone should try. It really is something so different, it will gain respect as I said. When you say over the odds, how much is it? I got mine for £30.
Sat 15/02/03 at 17:14
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Console_kid wrote:
> What are peoples views of Rez?

I need a copy first! But i aint paying over the odds for it!!
Sat 15/02/03 at 16:30
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Oh, I have seen Frequency before. I dont think its better though. The continuous pumping on the DC vibration pack feels really great in my view. Though I have only seen Frequency running, I have not played it.

Going back to Rez... Im on the third level (3 of 4... its almost insanely short), I still cant get past the boss on the third level. But its addictivness makes you want to come back. Any tips for the third boss?

What are peoples views of Rez?
Sat 15/02/03 at 15:57
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Its kinda the same as Rez but youre not shooting things. Youre just making up a tune like in Rez but pressing buttons at certain times like Parapa the Rapper.

Go have a look.
Sat 15/02/03 at 15:10
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Hercules! wrote:
> Frequency is better.

--What is frequency about?

....Phew, just stopped playing Rez, and I really do feel as if I have been on something. hehe
Sat 15/02/03 at 15:00
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Frequency is better.

;)
Sat 15/02/03 at 14:57
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Today I recieved a parcel through my door, I opened it with excitement and inside was a mint copy of Rez. I had been expecting as I won a bid for it online. The waiting was over, but it was worth the wait.

Many people have said that Rez is a game that is a bit like Marmite, you either 'Love it' or 'Hate it'. I can clearly say, that I LOVE it. As soon as I put the disk into my Dreamcast, a huge breath of fresh air hit me. Rez is unlike ANY game I have played in my life. It is addictive yet fairly challenging at the same time. It is so hard to describe this game, but it is one which I immediately fell in love with. What is even more strange, is that after 5 minutes of playing this game, a smile was on my face, I was loving every minute of this remarkable original game. It has been a long time since I have felt this content and happy about a game. To put it bluntly, it strikes emotions you never knew where inside you. There is an undescribable feeling you have whilst playing this game (apart from feeling as if you are on a high).

Many of you, will look at screenshots of it on the internet, or read reviews of it, and shrug it off. I was the same, I saw the 'boring' wireframe graphics and read the reviews of it, 'not working quite as well as it should'. Thats rubbish, as soon as the game starts on the first stage, the whole room is filled with vibrant colours and massive spheres glowing, whilst enemies flash past you as you desperately try to target them to create a chain reaction of hits, which creates a tune that plays. Combining this tune wih the background sound adds to the unique experience even more! In my view, nothing in a game is more important that originality, and Sega have done it again. This is without doubt one of the most original games ever made. Some call it a musical shooter, other call it adventure. I call it all of those, take all the descriptions, wrap them up in one and slap them on a Dreamcast disk and that is Rez.

Rez might not sell millions, in fact not many people have heard of it. But I dont want this game to go without being heard first. It is a shame few copies where made, but I recommend everyone to play this game, and to experience the delights of Rez, a unique, vibrant, addictive game that just screams for you to play it. So if you ever do come across a little known title, by the name of Rez. Dont walk by ignorant, give it a try. It might not be for everyone, but I can gauarante that it will get respect, because in a world of sequels and ports Rez really is a 'breath of fresh air.'

Thanx.
C_K

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.