GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"REZ"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/02/03 at 14:57
Regular
Today I recieved a parcel through my door, I opened it with excitement and inside was a mint copy of Rez. I had been expecting as I won a bid for it online. The waiting was over, but it was worth the wait.

Many people have said that Rez is a game that is a bit like Marmite, you either 'Love it' or 'Hate it'. I can clearly say, that I LOVE it. As soon as I put the disk into my Dreamcast, a huge breath of fresh air hit me. Rez is unlike ANY game I have played in my life. It is addictive yet fairly challenging at the same time. It is so hard to describe this game, but it is one which I immediately fell in love with. What is even more strange, is that after 5 minutes of playing this game, a smile was on my face, I was loving every minute of this remarkable original game. It has been a long time since I have felt this content and happy about a game. To put it bluntly, it strikes emotions you never knew where inside you. There is an undescribable feeling you have whilst playing this game (apart from feeling as if you are on a high).

Many of you, will look at screenshots of it on the internet, or read reviews of it, and shrug it off. I was the same, I saw the 'boring' wireframe graphics and read the reviews of it, 'not working quite as well as it should'. Thats rubbish, as soon as the game starts on the first stage, the whole room is filled with vibrant colours and massive spheres glowing, whilst enemies flash past you as you desperately try to target them to create a chain reaction of hits, which creates a tune that plays. Combining this tune wih the background sound adds to the unique experience even more! In my view, nothing in a game is more important that originality, and Sega have done it again. This is without doubt one of the most original games ever made. Some call it a musical shooter, other call it adventure. I call it all of those, take all the descriptions, wrap them up in one and slap them on a Dreamcast disk and that is Rez.

Rez might not sell millions, in fact not many people have heard of it. But I dont want this game to go without being heard first. It is a shame few copies where made, but I recommend everyone to play this game, and to experience the delights of Rez, a unique, vibrant, addictive game that just screams for you to play it. So if you ever do come across a little known title, by the name of Rez. Dont walk by ignorant, give it a try. It might not be for everyone, but I can gauarante that it will get respect, because in a world of sequels and ports Rez really is a 'breath of fresh air.'

Thanx.
C_K
Thu 03/07/03 at 14:32
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
It seems I am now also repeatedly hearing that the Dreamcast version is better! I can assure you in all honesty (and with no bias) however that it's not. At least I can say I have both, unlike you lot who are just reading about it!

It's like people are arguing that black is white around here.
Thu 03/07/03 at 02:12
"I love yo... lamp."
I havn't heard of it. Try Ebay.
Thu 03/07/03 at 02:08
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Rez is a fantastically original game, but there are still plenty that Sega didn't incorporate into the game. For example, although the beat and backgrounds DO change, the actuall gameplay DOES NOT - it's the same throughout the game. Hopefully the new game from the guy at Llamasoft (Tempest 3000 person) will do just that.

As for the graphics, I have repeatedly heard that the DC version is better. This was often the case with converted and early PS2 games - in the days before developers got used to the PS2's anti-aliasing/interlacing options. Games like Code Veronica and Dead or Alive 2 looked better on the Dreamcast version thanks to the smoother graphics.

Anyway, on a *related* point... where can I get cosmic smash from? Was it ever released on a console? Just in Japan?

Sonic
Wed 02/07/03 at 10:52
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I'm speechless...!
Wed 02/07/03 at 00:34
Regular
It will be a Sony magazine spewing crap like every official console magazine. Stupid OXM seem to stick 'Only on Xbox' on every game so with REZ being as original as it is they will say that the PS2 version runs smoother when in fact its a load of balls.
Tue 01/07/03 at 23:21
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
I agree!

I own the Dreamcast version and the frame rate runs fine!!! I wonder whether the Playstation reviews you have been reading of Rez have been wrong and not vice versa!

I wouldnt surprise me that a PS review would state loads of rubbish like 60 fps when they havnt a clue. Sony haev done anythign to prevent people buying other gamesfor other systems.

My version runs amazingly smooth. So if its not 60 fps on Dreamcast it must be pretty damn close!
Tue 01/07/03 at 12:52
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> Yes it is fine, it runs at a solid 30fps. I bought and completed the
> DC version long before I got the PS2 version, which runs at a solid
> 60fps. I say again, those reviews must be biased.

Er no...

Nothing biased about them they were pointing out the facts from both versions of REZ setup next to each other.

Don't know what DC version you had but my JAP version seems to run at 60fps solid.
Tue 01/07/03 at 12:36
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
> There are two endings. As you progress through the last level, Eden
> slowly awakens in several cut-scenes. If you complete it with a decent
> score the ending is cut short. If you complete it with a top score [or
> something] you get the "butterfly ending" which is longer
> and Eden says something.

To get the butterfly ending you have to get through the final set of bosses without getting hit once ;-) i.e stay in space-baby form.
Tue 01/07/03 at 12:35
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Yes it is fine, it runs at a solid 30fps. I bought and completed the DC version long before I got the PS2 version, which runs at a solid 60fps. I say again, those reviews must be biased.
Tue 01/07/03 at 11:38
Regular
The frame rate is fine on the Dreamcast version. Go to gamerankings.com and search for REZ and read some of the reviews. They all say the Dreamcast version runs better. Code Veronica runs and looks better on the Dreamcast as well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.