GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube coming sooner than expected?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/01/02 at 12:08
Regular
Look at www.tendobox.com.

The European announcement is coming on the 5th a february, apparently only a "few weeks" before the machine launches.

Secondly, there was a conference transcript where Peter Main said "All we can confirm is that it's set for early Spring".

Space World 2000 - Gamecube announce with short demo's.

Everything goes quiet. Nintendo threatens to axe the Gamecube.

Leading up to EŁ, details are leaked on games like Rogue Leader and Smash Brothers.
E3 comes and the Gamecube lets out all its games in one go, and blows EVERYONE (apart from a few hardened anti-Nintendo Zealots) away.

More publicity with Spaceworld and odd announcements like the Resident Evil announcement but since then it's been realtively quiet for six months...

Do you think that Nintendo are planning to drop their bombshell in one big go?

Think of it as R-type.

Microsoft fires every single shot the moment it gets it.
Nintendo fires nothing for ages but charges up and releases the biggest blast ever, which gets forgotten within a few months.

Sony seem to have the balance right, firing regularly but still sending the odd bombshell in.

Congratulations for your marketing Sony.
It's clearly the work of a genius as you didn't have other factors helping your success!
Wed 09/01/02 at 22:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Dringo, for your own sake, I hope to God you never go to a football match.
Wed 09/01/02 at 22:32
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well I think it would. There are a HELL of a lot of people wanting to get this game, it is the Most Anticipated Game Ever and as far as the public are concerned it's the Best Game Ever. Of course it's going to affect the sales, I don't know how much but it would be quite large. Think about it, this game has been building up hype basically for 3 years. The public are ravenous for it. As for the GameCube, the public, well, aren't ravenous for it. In fact, most of the public doesn't even know it exists (yet).

MGS2 is much better than anything Nintendo can offer now or in March, as far as the public is concerned, and it's the PUBLIC that counts.

Oh, and all I've heard if February for MGS2, when was it put back?
Wed 09/01/02 at 22:11
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:

Hell yeah, if only people could think for themselves,
> then perhaps the Gamecube would sell...

Comment of the century bravo, splendid.

FM says Nintendo fans are people who havent grown up you say Playstation fans are people who don't think for themselves...

Brilliant.
Wed 09/01/02 at 21:13
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:

Seems a bit of an odd thing to write given that neither
> Nintendo nor Microsofts machine have been released in Europe yet?

I'm basing it on news and press releases.
About a year ago, Microsoft were releasing new Xbox announcements/screenshots almost every week while Nintendo remained almost silent.

Then, E3 came and Microsoft had little special left to show while Nintendo unloaded everything in one go, more or less stealing the show.

The thing is, Microsoft shouted too much too quickly, not saving anything really special for the gameshow.
Nintendo blew everyone away at the Gameshow but is otherwise rarely heard of.

Although Sony didn't exactly have much to shout about at E3, they managed to bring out a fair few surprises while keeping the publics interest between special events as well.
Wed 09/01/02 at 19:11
Regular
If Nintendo would only confirm a release date...
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:40
"You love us!"
Turbonutter wrote:

Personally I think releasing the GC in
> February would be suicide. Hello? Metal Gear Solid 2?

What, you honestly think that if someone is going to the shops to buy a GC and then get there to see MGS 2 on the shelves they'll buy a PS2 with that game instead! Come on, MGS2 is an amazing game, but i don't see it changing the mind of someone who wants a shiny new GC! Plus, i think everyone is over estimating the impact of MGS2 - its not like the pre-order level is through the roof, in fact it's quite average to be honest. PLEASE NOTE: Iam NOT saying MGS2 isn't amazing, just that i don't think it'll effect the sales of a new console.

Also MGS2 isn't released until early March. So if Nintendo got the GC out in mid/late Feb i think this'd be a very good move for them. In fact if the GC was released a couple of weeks before MGS2 (and the XBox for that matter) i'd say that it'd hurt the sales of the latter two if anything.

However, note the IF - personally i doubt Ninty will get the GC out for mid/late Feb, but thats just my opinion.
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:26
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
"I didn't know brains had arms. Meh."

You're right, they don't.

"Personally I think releasing the GC in February would be suicide."

Hell yeah, if only people could think for themselves, then perhaps the Gamecube would sell...
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:24
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I didn't know brains had arms. Meh.

Personally I think releasing the GC in
> February would be suicide. Hello? Metal Gear Solid 2?

Metal Gear Solid 2 is out: 'March 8th' to compete with X-Box a little closer to release date.
As for 'the few' weeks, don't expect the Gamecube to be out in February, a few weeks is anything from 3-4 weeks, making it sometime 'mid-March'.
From this, I wouldn't be suprised to see Sony release Final Fantasy 10 just before that date, as they are doing for MGS2 for X-Box. Sony love to get in on release dates for consoles, with their own 'Greats'.
If Mario had of been a launch title, MGS2 would have no worries upon Nintendo, or Final Fantasy 10.
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:15
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Strafex wrote:
Microsoft
> fires every single shot the moment it gets it.
Nintendo fires nothing for ages
> but charges up and releases the biggest blast ever, which gets forgotten within
> a few months.

Sony seem to have the balance right, firing regularly but still
> sending the odd bombshell in.

Seems a bit of an odd thing to write given that neither Nintendo nor Microsofts machine have been released in Europe yet?
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:02
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I didn't know brains had arms. Meh.

Personally I think releasing the GC in February would be suicide. Hello? Metal Gear Solid 2?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.