GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube coming sooner than expected?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/01/02 at 12:08
Regular
Look at www.tendobox.com.

The European announcement is coming on the 5th a february, apparently only a "few weeks" before the machine launches.

Secondly, there was a conference transcript where Peter Main said "All we can confirm is that it's set for early Spring".

Space World 2000 - Gamecube announce with short demo's.

Everything goes quiet. Nintendo threatens to axe the Gamecube.

Leading up to E£, details are leaked on games like Rogue Leader and Smash Brothers.
E3 comes and the Gamecube lets out all its games in one go, and blows EVERYONE (apart from a few hardened anti-Nintendo Zealots) away.

More publicity with Spaceworld and odd announcements like the Resident Evil announcement but since then it's been realtively quiet for six months...

Do you think that Nintendo are planning to drop their bombshell in one big go?

Think of it as R-type.

Microsoft fires every single shot the moment it gets it.
Nintendo fires nothing for ages but charges up and releases the biggest blast ever, which gets forgotten within a few months.

Sony seem to have the balance right, firing regularly but still sending the odd bombshell in.

Congratulations for your marketing Sony.
It's clearly the work of a genius as you didn't have other factors helping your success!
Thu 10/01/02 at 19:04
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
People and magazines are saying that the Gamecube games are getting delayed so that they will be spaced out in release. This is not really true however as Ninty have all the "big games" in development now really. Rare have Perfect Dark, Conker BFD2 and Killer Instinct in development, Ninty themselves have 2 or 3 Mario games ready to come out plus Zelda GC and Mario Kart.

There are also some other big companies such as EA, Konami and THQ who all have their big releases ready to be, well, released.
Thu 10/01/02 at 18:51
"You love us!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Still very far fetched though.

Hmmmm, yes, but maybe not!

Stay tuned early/mid next week, things could start to happen.
Thu 10/01/02 at 18:14
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Still very far fetched though.
Thu 10/01/02 at 14:31
"You love us!"
Indeed we will....
Thu 10/01/02 at 14:29
Regular
"not dead"
Well the way I see it, the sooner the better.

Many independent game shops have had a Gamecube on display since the Japanese launch, and there is certainly a level of awareness about the Gamecube.

Anyone that had an N64, and purchased a magazine with any regularity will be aware of it.

As long as they can get units to stores, and some proper display/demo pods to the chain stores, the Game stores and EB's right after the announcement in February, I don't see why they couldn't launch late Feb, early March.

It wouldn't be the first time that something arrived from nowhere (to the uninformed) to cause a sudden rush of interest right as it hits the shelves, and peopel end up buying in a tidal wave of hype.

We'll see.
Thu 10/01/02 at 12:58
"You love us!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Well I think it would. There are a HELL of a lot of people wanting to get this
> game, it is the Most Anticipated Game Ever and as far as the public are
> concerned it's the Best Game Ever. Of course it's going to affect the sales, I
> don't know how much but it would be quite large. Think about it, this game has
> been building up hype basically for 3 years. The public are ravenous for it. As
> for the GameCube, the public, well, aren't ravenous for it. In fact, most of the
> public doesn't even know it exists (yet).

MGS2 is much better than anything
> Nintendo can offer now or in March, as far as the public is concerned, and it's
> the PUBLIC that counts.

Oh, and all I've heard if February for MGS2, when was
> it put back?

As an earlier post in this thread said, MGS2 was put back to March 8th a couple of days ago.

Oh and by the way, there ARE more Gamecube pre-order than there are for MGS2! Nuff said!
Thu 10/01/02 at 12:13
Regular
Game Network is neat for Game footage but I don't fully trust their translations, let alone their news.

I think that Nintendo are planning a sudden blast of hype around the launch.

Think of the public.

"The Xbox? We've been hearing about it constantly for a year! This Gamecube is something REALLY new!"

That's a bit of an exaduration but it'll work something along those lines.
Thu 10/01/02 at 10:05
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Not that anyone cares, likes or trusts them... but the people at game-Network say the GameCube is coming out in europe on the 12th of April - just 7 days after my prediction... not that anyone cares about that either. :D;)
Wed 09/01/02 at 23:13
Regular
Yes, that is supposed to *put back* not *out back*
Wed 09/01/02 at 23:11
Regular
Turbo, MGS2 was out back about two days ago. It was big news, all over the place. SR even have a news story on it!

Somthin about an extra disc and demand begin too high. But more than likely to compete with X-box.

This may be the reason Nintendo are keeping stum about thier release date until the last moment. We may see a few more changes between now and March...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.