GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube coming sooner than expected?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/01/02 at 12:08
Regular
Look at www.tendobox.com.

The European announcement is coming on the 5th a february, apparently only a "few weeks" before the machine launches.

Secondly, there was a conference transcript where Peter Main said "All we can confirm is that it's set for early Spring".

Space World 2000 - Gamecube announce with short demo's.

Everything goes quiet. Nintendo threatens to axe the Gamecube.

Leading up to EŁ, details are leaked on games like Rogue Leader and Smash Brothers.
E3 comes and the Gamecube lets out all its games in one go, and blows EVERYONE (apart from a few hardened anti-Nintendo Zealots) away.

More publicity with Spaceworld and odd announcements like the Resident Evil announcement but since then it's been realtively quiet for six months...

Do you think that Nintendo are planning to drop their bombshell in one big go?

Think of it as R-type.

Microsoft fires every single shot the moment it gets it.
Nintendo fires nothing for ages but charges up and releases the biggest blast ever, which gets forgotten within a few months.

Sony seem to have the balance right, firing regularly but still sending the odd bombshell in.

Congratulations for your marketing Sony.
It's clearly the work of a genius as you didn't have other factors helping your success!
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:08
Regular
Look at www.tendobox.com.

The European announcement is coming on the 5th a february, apparently only a "few weeks" before the machine launches.

Secondly, there was a conference transcript where Peter Main said "All we can confirm is that it's set for early Spring".

Space World 2000 - Gamecube announce with short demo's.

Everything goes quiet. Nintendo threatens to axe the Gamecube.

Leading up to EŁ, details are leaked on games like Rogue Leader and Smash Brothers.
E3 comes and the Gamecube lets out all its games in one go, and blows EVERYONE (apart from a few hardened anti-Nintendo Zealots) away.

More publicity with Spaceworld and odd announcements like the Resident Evil announcement but since then it's been realtively quiet for six months...

Do you think that Nintendo are planning to drop their bombshell in one big go?

Think of it as R-type.

Microsoft fires every single shot the moment it gets it.
Nintendo fires nothing for ages but charges up and releases the biggest blast ever, which gets forgotten within a few months.

Sony seem to have the balance right, firing regularly but still sending the odd bombshell in.

Congratulations for your marketing Sony.
It's clearly the work of a genius as you didn't have other factors helping your success!
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:32
Regular
Hmmmm. Still Early Spring.

I still refuse to Believe that they will announce the Release date just a few weeks before launch though. Surely they need to give an early release date so they can calculate wha sort of demand there is going to be? Unless of course they are going for a PS2 style launch...get demand up by keeping supply low.
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:37
Regular
All its preliminary buyers will be hardcore gamers that have been waiting a year for it.

I think that the idea is to suddenly burst onto the shelves (just before the XBox) and use all the amunition they have to steal the show before Microsoft know what's going.

And if it is released in Early march, I might be able to play it for a few weeks before I have to pack it in for exams.
Wed 09/01/02 at 16:06
I'd go into shock if Nintendo really do release it in mid/late Feb... I just hope Grix get's another controller, they were damn comfortable in E3...

I can't think if he's won any multiplayer games yet, mind...

Damnit Nintendo, get the prices sorted, we need to pre-order.
Wed 09/01/02 at 17:05
Regular
Dringo sits a prays for early march, before or the same day as the x-box so i can afford a good launch... why did i spend all my money on DC????
Wed 09/01/02 at 17:59
Regular
Cus you crazy fool.

Good console mind.
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:02
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I didn't know brains had arms. Meh.

Personally I think releasing the GC in February would be suicide. Hello? Metal Gear Solid 2?
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:15
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Strafex wrote:
Microsoft
> fires every single shot the moment it gets it.
Nintendo fires nothing for ages
> but charges up and releases the biggest blast ever, which gets forgotten within
> a few months.

Sony seem to have the balance right, firing regularly but still
> sending the odd bombshell in.

Seems a bit of an odd thing to write given that neither Nintendo nor Microsofts machine have been released in Europe yet?
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:24
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I didn't know brains had arms. Meh.

Personally I think releasing the GC in
> February would be suicide. Hello? Metal Gear Solid 2?

Metal Gear Solid 2 is out: 'March 8th' to compete with X-Box a little closer to release date.
As for 'the few' weeks, don't expect the Gamecube to be out in February, a few weeks is anything from 3-4 weeks, making it sometime 'mid-March'.
From this, I wouldn't be suprised to see Sony release Final Fantasy 10 just before that date, as they are doing for MGS2 for X-Box. Sony love to get in on release dates for consoles, with their own 'Greats'.
If Mario had of been a launch title, MGS2 would have no worries upon Nintendo, or Final Fantasy 10.
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:26
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
"I didn't know brains had arms. Meh."

You're right, they don't.

"Personally I think releasing the GC in February would be suicide."

Hell yeah, if only people could think for themselves, then perhaps the Gamecube would sell...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.