GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Petition against use of "txt msging" in posts/replies."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/01/02 at 22:31
Regular
If we can get enough people to agree we may be able to get the kind people at SR to discourage the use of "txt msg" abbreviations etc.
What do you think ?
Mon 14/01/02 at 13:12
I agree. As time passes and technology takes steps forward, everything is geared towards speed and effectiveness. To some, using these abbreviations achieves this. Let them get on with it.
Mon 14/01/02 at 12:46
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

> That's just the point - these are common abbreviations which don't affect the reading of the text, with this exceptions of things like IMHO which even I try not to use on these forums.

Yeah, but many of these abbreviations are so commonplace now that you read them without noticing. lol, everyone knows about that one, so why not type lol instead of typing out every last character? We all know what it means, just like CD.
Mon 14/01/02 at 12:00
IMHO is In My Honest Opinion, Kid Rock. I do know what it means, I just didn't see the point in spelling it out here.

This "text" thing is just a passing fad, something that these people find "cool" right now, like shell-suits in the 80's - and thankfully, they went away in the end!

I would say we just ignore it and let them get on with it - no point in starting a whole "petition" to ban them from using it!
Sat 12/01/02 at 12:38
Regular
"Tag as above"
you have to wonder if people use txt talk because they can't spell
Sat 12/01/02 at 12:37
"High polygon count"
SteveyboyUK wrote:
> Well, isn't CD short for Compact Disc? PS2 short for
> PlayStation 2? IMHO short for.....well, you get the idea.

That's just the point - these are common abbreviations which don't affect the reading of the text, with this exceptions of things like IMHO which even I try not to use on these forums.

txt can be difficult to read, especially as punctuation is also usually omitted.
Sat 12/01/02 at 12:34
Regular
SteveyboyUK wrote:
IMHO short for.....well, you get the idea.

someone dont know what IMHO stands for LOL
Sat 12/01/02 at 12:30
"High polygon count"
SteveyboyUK wrote:
> Now, either I've missed the point somewhere all the line here, or just lost the
> plot totally, but isn't this a Forum, where people are free to express their own
> views and opinions?

Yes, but if you want to express an opinion, you should do it as clearly as possible, & not frce sum1 2 spnd hlf n hr tryn 2 undrstnd wht da hel u r sayn.

> If someone wants to use this "texting" language, then
> that's their choice - it really is simply letters arranged on a
> computer screen that represent that persons views, and I don't see how it
> matters what form they use to do that.

On a phone keypad, txt msgn is easier and quicker simply because of the keypad layout. On a computer keyboard, if you are even just a half-decent typist, it's actually easier and quicker to type the whole word. If I try to type a message on here in txt msgn format, it actuall takes me twice as long to do it! So I can't really even put it down to laziness!

I may be wrong, but I *think* most of the users who type that way on here are younger people, and I think they are under the impression that it's portrays them as 'cool' - when in fact most people seem to get the impression that they only have half a brain.

I'd love to be there on the day these people type up the CV for their first job, that's for sure.

"inglsh lan grde U - bt i cn wrk a cmptr"
Sat 12/01/02 at 11:31
Regular
"Bah"
yer i was just kidding its annoying when people use it in these forums
MM
Sat 12/01/02 at 11:26
Regular
"um..."
Proof the English language is in decline. I use txt msging on my phone only, not here its pointless. People should write properly it would make life easier.
Thu 10/01/02 at 17:33
Regular
"Bah"
prdn i dnt undrstnd wht u mn?
MM

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.