GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help needed"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/01/02 at 20:24
Regular
Hi

I want to play Quake 3 and Counter-Strike against my brother on his computer by connecting my computer to his computer with a cable so we can play Quake 3 or Counter-Strike.

Can you tell me what cable I need to buy from Special Reserve to play head-to-head in Quake 3 and Counter-Strike?

I don’t want to buy any network cards, I just want a cable so we can play head-to-head in Quake 3. Does head-to-head gaming require a network card?, or can you make do with a cable connecting the 2 computers together?

How would you access the multiplayer head-to-head games in Quake 3 and Counter-Strike with 2 computers connected together by a cable?

Thanks if you can answer some or all of my questions.

Andy
Thu 10/01/02 at 09:49
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> USB 1 has a max transfer rate of 12 mega bits per second and 2 netwrok card
> using a cossover cable is only a max of 10 mega bits per second so you might
> have slightly better performance on the usb network but order it quickly as it
> will not be in the next mag.

AMD

You can get 100 Mega Bit per second Network cards. Most network cards are 100MB. SR do a 100MB network card for £14.99, a 10 metre cable is £9.99 or get a 2 metre one for £5.99.

So all in all you will need to spend about £40 to get 2 network cards and some cable.
Thu 10/01/02 at 08:58
Regular
Hi

I didn't finish the question below properly:

Will I be able to transfer data between two computers with a USB network? like a normal network, and will I be able to share an Internet connection, printer and files like a normal network.

Thanks again if you can help
Thu 10/01/02 at 08:54
Regular
Hi

Before I order the USB network can you answer two more questions please.

What are the pros and cons for a USB network and PCI network cards?

Will I be able to transfer data between the two computers?

Thanks if you can help
Thu 10/01/02 at 08:47
Regular
Hi

I will order the USB network today.
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:19
funkygamer wrote:
> Cross-Over RJ45? Is that what they call a null-modem cable?

Null-modem is usually plain RS232, aka serial-to-serial port cable. Works great for my 486 laptop with no harddisk but for anything serious it's essentially useless these days. Com port style serial maxes out at 115kbps.. if you had a PPP daemon on both ends you could probably play games over it.. but it might feel modem-ish. Latency is generally good though, so the lag wouldn't be as noticable unless you hit the top of that 115kbps bandwidth cap.
Wed 09/01/02 at 15:36
Regular
USB 1 has a max transfer rate of 12 mega bits per second and 2 netwrok card using a cossover cable is only a max of 10 mega bits per second so you might have slightly better performance on the usb network but order it quickly as it will not be in the next mag.

AMD
Wed 09/01/02 at 13:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The USB is well fast enough. However, I would consider network cards. It would be much cheaper and better, and they're really easy to install. All you need to do is turn off your PC, plonk the card in, screw it in and Robert's your Mother's brother. You might have to follow some setup instructions with the stuff but it's no probs.

After all, the guys in places like PC World are just monkeys with some training on how not to break a computer.
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:37
networking in windows me and 98 is easy enough, you shouldnt have to much trouble, the usb network kit will be enough to network for gameing, personally i would go for a 10/100 network this uses a hub and 2 10/100 network card and also 2 rj45 cables but this is more expensive so stick with the usb network.

C.b.
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:02
Regular
Hi

My brother's computer is just across from my computer so I could buy a Unex USB network kit.

Would I be able to network a Windows ME computer to a Windows 98SE computer with the USB network?

Would the USB network be fast enough for Quake 3 and Counter-Strike?

Thanks if you can help
Wed 09/01/02 at 10:45
hi
if you don't want to use 2 network cards and a crossover cable special reserve do a unex USB network kit for 2 pc's for 34.99 but only has a 4 metre cable, your bst option would be to get 2 network cards and a crossover cable or a netwrok kit for 2 pc's from spec res at 10 mbps you should be able to game comfortably without much lag on the line.

c.b.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.