GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is PS2 dead already? to be honest, i wouldn't care"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/01/02 at 20:36
Regular
With the XBOX and the GAMECUBE coming to the market in Japan and America, could the PS2 be dying? This has probably been discussed before, but i don't care.

The biggest problem with the PS2 is graphics. When it was released we were promised graphics to wet our pants/knickers over. When i saw the opening video for Smackdwon 3, that was exactly what i did (only joking). But if any one has been bothered to watch the opening vid to Smackdown 3 they will know what i mean. The graphics are stunning! they look almost real. When i pressed start and was greated by a very tacky Michael Cole introduction i started to cry. The graphics in game where OK, but nothing compared to the video.

I know that game developers struggle to make the in game graphics as good as the opening and in game vids, but why bother? Why not just concentrate more on the in game graphics and less on the vids.

Don't get me wrong. I admire the great work that is involved in game making, and i feel that the PS2 has made a great improvement on game systems in the European market. With consoles such as N64 and Dreamcast leaving me lying awake at night wondering why anyone would release such...t**d consoles.

Max Payne is a game that i have played on the PC and loved. Now it is coming to the PS2 in a week. Hail to the lord!!! or should i? from what i've heard the PS2 version of Max Payne does the PC and XBOX versions great injustice. Obviously i will buy it any way (Nothing beats the Matrix/John Woo style game play. I get to be Chow Yun Fat and Neo at the same time, YIPPEE!!) but if the game is as bad as every one says, i will be very disheartened.

With games such as MGS2 and Stuntman making an apperance on the market soon, perhaps the PS2 still has chance. But if Sony don't pull their fingers out, then i can see a certain company having to re-think the whole console thing.

If any one has anything to say, good or bad, please feel free to reply to my post.

Tah! Brad
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:54
I respect what you are saying Ant and Berfkhbdk(what ever). But i just feel that if the PS" has sooooo much to offer graphics wise, then why are the games programmers not using it.

MG2 does look very promising! but why did Smackdown 3's programmers waste such a promising prospect with poopy graphics. The idea of the 3rd SD installment on the PS2 with its "great graphics" promised to be a great looking game with all our fave wrestlers looking their best. The opening video was this and more. But the game looked only half decent.

Maybe i am expecting too much, but then someone must have given me the idea that PS2 was going to be the best :) Damn those marketing geniuses!!!
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:01
Regular
"I like cheese"
To be honest, Smackdown JBI was disappointing in every way. From match types to graphics.

However, I thought the graphics were good, even if the intro sequence's looked better-after all, they always do.

And I think they're not using the full capability yet because they actually can't...they need to get 'used' to it, if you know what I mean.

Look at the PlayStation, from Ridge Racer all the way to Gran Turismo 2. Big difference, on the same console.
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:03
Any who! i think that we can all agree that Sony still have not gave us a truely astounding game yet. They promised us the best but so far they have only delivered above average.

With games such as Tarzan and Mummy Returns shaming the console, i can only see a small future for the PS2 at the moment. Hopefully games such as MGS2 will save it. I hope so, because i have spent quite alot on the PS2 so far and have yet to be pleased.

GTA3 was a step in the right direction, but like many PS2 games at the moment. It only has a life of about 2 months for most people.

Please Sony! Give us an ultimate game!! (something that is a combination of MAX PAYNE, MGS, GTA3 and the original Tony Hawk)
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:04
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Not sure this question has been properly formed. Judging on the current situation you'd be more justified if the Xbox/Gamecube are dead already?

Sony have already got a very large fan-base and it's unlikely that either of the rival consoles, despite their capabilities, can attract enough people to make Microsoft or Nintendo overcome the mountain that is Sony Computer Entertainment.

I don't necessarily agree with this, but it's definately a war that relies heavily on pre-established audience's and marketing campaigns, and, everyone knows how successful the first PS1 was.
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:06
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
> situation you'd be more justified if the Xbox/Gamecube are dead already?
successful the first PS1 was.

Should have read, MORE JUSTIFIED ASKING IF...
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:07
hi ad! its Brad from college!

so are you for or against the PS2 graphics at the mo?
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:10
I think that XBOX will make an impact cos it is microsoft. And Bill Gates seems to always make a business out of nothing. After all Windows is only a collection of programmes.

GAMECUBE have to prove themselves, but i think that this might be the next N64 i.e. last for a while then die.
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:10
Regular
"I like cheese"
BradW wrote:
GTA3 was a step in the right
> direction, but like many PS2 games at the moment. It only has a life of about 2
> months for most people.

Personally, 2 months is long enough for me. I'll have a new game by then (hopefully) which I'll want to play.

Although, games like Red Faction and Smackdown JBI I keep coming back to, mainly because of the mutliplayer. Surely that means Red Faction has lasted months?

And to be honest, I fail to see much that Nintendo can offer that will last for over 2 months. I wouldn't touch Star Fox with a barge pole, Luigi's Mansion is suposedly repetitive and...well, there's not all that much else at the moment.
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:14
I agree that Nintendo is a dying breed. They have yet to get their next Goldeneye. But the worry for me is that PS2 has made a promise that they have yet to keep; great graphics
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:17
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
BradW wrote:
> I agree that Nintendo is a dying breed. They have yet to get their next
> Goldeneye. But the worry for me is that PS2 has made a promise that they have
> yet to keep; great graphics

Oh and your an authority on games huh? As if you know ANYTHING about Sony's promises.

No-one guarenteed the very best from the console immediately, now get lost and go back to your bloody films!

(ps, how the hell'd ya' know that was me?)

[no-one flame me for this, it's not meant to be taken seriously!]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.