GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is PS2 dead already? to be honest, i wouldn't care"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/01/02 at 20:36
Regular
With the XBOX and the GAMECUBE coming to the market in Japan and America, could the PS2 be dying? This has probably been discussed before, but i don't care.

The biggest problem with the PS2 is graphics. When it was released we were promised graphics to wet our pants/knickers over. When i saw the opening video for Smackdwon 3, that was exactly what i did (only joking). But if any one has been bothered to watch the opening vid to Smackdown 3 they will know what i mean. The graphics are stunning! they look almost real. When i pressed start and was greated by a very tacky Michael Cole introduction i started to cry. The graphics in game where OK, but nothing compared to the video.

I know that game developers struggle to make the in game graphics as good as the opening and in game vids, but why bother? Why not just concentrate more on the in game graphics and less on the vids.

Don't get me wrong. I admire the great work that is involved in game making, and i feel that the PS2 has made a great improvement on game systems in the European market. With consoles such as N64 and Dreamcast leaving me lying awake at night wondering why anyone would release such...t**d consoles.

Max Payne is a game that i have played on the PC and loved. Now it is coming to the PS2 in a week. Hail to the lord!!! or should i? from what i've heard the PS2 version of Max Payne does the PC and XBOX versions great injustice. Obviously i will buy it any way (Nothing beats the Matrix/John Woo style game play. I get to be Chow Yun Fat and Neo at the same time, YIPPEE!!) but if the game is as bad as every one says, i will be very disheartened.

With games such as MGS2 and Stuntman making an apperance on the market soon, perhaps the PS2 still has chance. But if Sony don't pull their fingers out, then i can see a certain company having to re-think the whole console thing.

If any one has anything to say, good or bad, please feel free to reply to my post.

Tah! Brad
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:06
As for AfroJoe.... To take a quote from the great film AI (notice the sarcasm in my voice)

"What do you know Joe?" by the sounds of it, absolutely nothing!!
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:09
GT3 = Dull gameplay

GTA3= I will give you that, but it starts to dull after a while.

MSG2= If you read my post you will see that i said MSG2 looks promising

PRO EVO= HAHAHAHA too easy :)
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:09
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
A lot more than you, you have a lot to learn here. *AfroJoe Goes off and laughs to himself in a corner!*
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:13
Are we ripping the PS2????

One game has restored any lost faith, not that I had any faith in the first place to actually lose, is Tony Hawk's 3. This game rules.

Best game out.

U B Da Man Mr NeverSoft!
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:15
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I respect that game... it's review my gave me my first and only GAD! :D Ah, sheer blissful game. :D
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:32
Any conflict with AfroJoe aside. I feel that Tony Hawk 3 was no different to the first two. There were a few adjustments, but nothing drasticly impressive. I loved TH1 when it came out. I had never played a game so addicting! i gave TH2 a miss and completed TH3 in a day! it got really boring, really fast after that.

Sorry, but thats how i feel
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:39
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Well Tony Hawks 3 has taken an advanced step graphic-wise and has great gameplay, I must say I didn't complete it in one day but I have now. It also has a much better multiplay and link up network play, but if that's how you feel.....
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:43
Regular
"I like cheese"
Well, actually, in the past 2 months we have been lucky enough to recieve lots of brilliant games for the PS2, including Jak and Daxter, GTA 3, Smackdown JBI, Devil May Cry, SSX Tricky, Half-Life, Pro Evo, GT3, Time Crisis 2, and going back earlier than that Star Wars: Starfighter, Zone Of The Enders, Red Faction and TIF 2002.

And there's so much more to come! Max Payne, MGS2, StarFighter 2, Star Wars Racer 2, The Getaway, Run Like Hell, Return To Castle Wolfenstein-I could go on.

You talk about graphics?? MGS2 uses 66% of the PS2's graphical capability. Now, the MGS2 graphics are superb, and if there's more to come then you can't exactly say the graphics are disappointing. I think you're expecting too much, and the only reason the GameCube games look 'better' is because they're all cartoonie, animated ones.

The PS2 is far from dead, and it's becoming more alive by the second. They've were sold out all over the country for Christmas, and by the time the X-Box and GameCube come out people will be too busy playing their PS2s to even care about the GC or an X-Box, which will each have around 3 excellent games each compared to the PS2's 15+, and more when you take into account the fact that some people like some genres more than others.
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:43
There is no way that the PS2 is going to die. It just has two much going for it right now. With the release of FFX and the UK release of Metal Gear Solid 2:SOL it's far from dying out.
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:49
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Finally i have some back-up. Well said Ant and Berserker. ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.