GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is PS2 dead already? to be honest, i wouldn't care"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/01/02 at 20:36
Regular
With the XBOX and the GAMECUBE coming to the market in Japan and America, could the PS2 be dying? This has probably been discussed before, but i don't care.

The biggest problem with the PS2 is graphics. When it was released we were promised graphics to wet our pants/knickers over. When i saw the opening video for Smackdwon 3, that was exactly what i did (only joking). But if any one has been bothered to watch the opening vid to Smackdown 3 they will know what i mean. The graphics are stunning! they look almost real. When i pressed start and was greated by a very tacky Michael Cole introduction i started to cry. The graphics in game where OK, but nothing compared to the video.

I know that game developers struggle to make the in game graphics as good as the opening and in game vids, but why bother? Why not just concentrate more on the in game graphics and less on the vids.

Don't get me wrong. I admire the great work that is involved in game making, and i feel that the PS2 has made a great improvement on game systems in the European market. With consoles such as N64 and Dreamcast leaving me lying awake at night wondering why anyone would release such...t**d consoles.

Max Payne is a game that i have played on the PC and loved. Now it is coming to the PS2 in a week. Hail to the lord!!! or should i? from what i've heard the PS2 version of Max Payne does the PC and XBOX versions great injustice. Obviously i will buy it any way (Nothing beats the Matrix/John Woo style game play. I get to be Chow Yun Fat and Neo at the same time, YIPPEE!!) but if the game is as bad as every one says, i will be very disheartened.

With games such as MGS2 and Stuntman making an apperance on the market soon, perhaps the PS2 still has chance. But if Sony don't pull their fingers out, then i can see a certain company having to re-think the whole console thing.

If any one has anything to say, good or bad, please feel free to reply to my post.

Tah! Brad
Mon 07/01/02 at 20:36
With the XBOX and the GAMECUBE coming to the market in Japan and America, could the PS2 be dying? This has probably been discussed before, but i don't care.

The biggest problem with the PS2 is graphics. When it was released we were promised graphics to wet our pants/knickers over. When i saw the opening video for Smackdwon 3, that was exactly what i did (only joking). But if any one has been bothered to watch the opening vid to Smackdown 3 they will know what i mean. The graphics are stunning! they look almost real. When i pressed start and was greated by a very tacky Michael Cole introduction i started to cry. The graphics in game where OK, but nothing compared to the video.

I know that game developers struggle to make the in game graphics as good as the opening and in game vids, but why bother? Why not just concentrate more on the in game graphics and less on the vids.

Don't get me wrong. I admire the great work that is involved in game making, and i feel that the PS2 has made a great improvement on game systems in the European market. With consoles such as N64 and Dreamcast leaving me lying awake at night wondering why anyone would release such...t**d consoles.

Max Payne is a game that i have played on the PC and loved. Now it is coming to the PS2 in a week. Hail to the lord!!! or should i? from what i've heard the PS2 version of Max Payne does the PC and XBOX versions great injustice. Obviously i will buy it any way (Nothing beats the Matrix/John Woo style game play. I get to be Chow Yun Fat and Neo at the same time, YIPPEE!!) but if the game is as bad as every one says, i will be very disheartened.

With games such as MGS2 and Stuntman making an apperance on the market soon, perhaps the PS2 still has chance. But if Sony don't pull their fingers out, then i can see a certain company having to re-think the whole console thing.

If any one has anything to say, good or bad, please feel free to reply to my post.

Tah! Brad
Mon 07/01/02 at 20:40
"High polygon count"
Hee hee! Have you considered a career in comedy?
Mon 07/01/02 at 20:42
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Yeah, awful graphics. Just look at Airblade and you see how poor they are (notice the sarcasm in my voice).
Mon 07/01/02 at 20:42
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Just think one day WWF games will probably look that good. It gives me hope for the future.
Mon 07/01/02 at 20:50
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
"With the XBOX and the GAMECUBE coming to the market in Japan and America, could the PS2 be dying?"

I have thought this for a while now, and I'm glad to see someone else, albeit a JAT, sharing my opinions :D You're on Salevaa's good list :D

"The biggest problem with the PS2 is graphics. When it was released we were promised graphics to wet our pants/knickers over."

Not many other people think this, but I do agree, in that I am far from impressive, as we were promised. Just look at that windsurfing game on the PS2 - the graphics are nearly identical to that of a PS1 game. Call me ignorant - go on!
Mon 07/01/02 at 20:58
"High polygon count"
Salevaa wrote:
> I am far from impressive

You said it! ;-p
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:00
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
GT3 graphics, were they poor?

MGS2 gameplay, is it looking shallow?

GTA3 fun, is it wearing off?

Pro Evolution greatness, is it ever going to quit?

Apart from the last one of these which is a maybe, the answer is NO! And a big one at that.

PS. Don't listen to Salevaa, he talks crap! :D
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:01
I am glad that i am not alone! :) we are the Internet generation. We need to be fed what we deserve...Great games with even better graphics. We will not be impressed with PONG graphics!!!

Oh my! i sound like i am starting a revolution!! :)
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:01
TBH IMO ATM there are no X Boxes in Japan, officially. PS2 sales figures will not be matched by Nintendo/Microsoft's offerings until 2004 if they ever do, which I doubt.

PS2 is not dead, it's just sold so well there ain't none left!!
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:02
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
in a summery of the entire life of PS2, the pros and cons etc, you can pretty much say. "dang i wish it woulda wrigled around a little but a least!"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.