GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is PS2 dead already? to be honest, i wouldn't care"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/01/02 at 20:36
Regular
With the XBOX and the GAMECUBE coming to the market in Japan and America, could the PS2 be dying? This has probably been discussed before, but i don't care.

The biggest problem with the PS2 is graphics. When it was released we were promised graphics to wet our pants/knickers over. When i saw the opening video for Smackdwon 3, that was exactly what i did (only joking). But if any one has been bothered to watch the opening vid to Smackdown 3 they will know what i mean. The graphics are stunning! they look almost real. When i pressed start and was greated by a very tacky Michael Cole introduction i started to cry. The graphics in game where OK, but nothing compared to the video.

I know that game developers struggle to make the in game graphics as good as the opening and in game vids, but why bother? Why not just concentrate more on the in game graphics and less on the vids.

Don't get me wrong. I admire the great work that is involved in game making, and i feel that the PS2 has made a great improvement on game systems in the European market. With consoles such as N64 and Dreamcast leaving me lying awake at night wondering why anyone would release such...t**d consoles.

Max Payne is a game that i have played on the PC and loved. Now it is coming to the PS2 in a week. Hail to the lord!!! or should i? from what i've heard the PS2 version of Max Payne does the PC and XBOX versions great injustice. Obviously i will buy it any way (Nothing beats the Matrix/John Woo style game play. I get to be Chow Yun Fat and Neo at the same time, YIPPEE!!) but if the game is as bad as every one says, i will be very disheartened.

With games such as MGS2 and Stuntman making an apperance on the market soon, perhaps the PS2 still has chance. But if Sony don't pull their fingers out, then i can see a certain company having to re-think the whole console thing.

If any one has anything to say, good or bad, please feel free to reply to my post.

Tah! Brad
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:29
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
BradW wrote:
> Gotta go now, im watchin JACKASS. but one last thing.
If Sony are serious about
> keeping their audience, then they should pressure games companies to improve
> their games to optimise the PS2s performance.

Definately, and i'm sure it's something they'll be doing in their own way. But again, they can't watch over all companies. It's not even as if companies should need encouragement. They know what makes a good game and they should be acting upon this knowledge.

Sony have provided some serious hardware to be worked with, and thus far no-one's been able to deliver. Look back at early PS1 games and see how they improved with some of the last PS1 games. There's a massive difference there and it's very likely that within this year the same sort of development will be made with the PS2. Things can only get better right?
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:25
Gotta go now, im watchin JACKASS. but one last thing.
If Sony are serious about keeping their audience, then they should pressure games companies to improve their games to optimise the PS2s performance.
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:23
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Personally, I cannot help but be very dissapointed with the current status of the PS2. Having spent £300+ to purchase a console, games, and various accessories I expected a little more value for money right now.

However, i'm not writing Sony off at this point, because after all they're a massive company and it would be stupid for them not to aim at correcting the issues with the console which is STILL in it's infant life.

Things will undoubtedly improve if Sony want to keep their customers happy, and I feel that the arrival of the GC and Xbox will simply force more quality games from developers.

Anyhow, it's not down to Sony if developers don't use their console properly is it? The hardware just takes some getting used to. Same situation is currently happening with XP which is an absoloute disaster for anyone with any serious use of it (people in the computer industry or those who have explored it beneath the surface)
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:21
You put ADH to everything!! even your coursework!!!
Your name sticks out like a sore thumb when i read the replys.

SO you saying that i don't know a bloody thing about computers?? I was speaking to you today about the PS2 and you agreed with me!!!:(

YEAH, ADH WAS ONLY MESSING IN HIS LAST REPLY. HIS VERBAL ABUSE IS TO BE TAKEN WITH A PINCH OF SALT
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:19
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Perfect Dark Zero should rule! Hopefully. I want to play it anyway.
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:17
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
BradW wrote:
> I agree that Nintendo is a dying breed. They have yet to get their next
> Goldeneye. But the worry for me is that PS2 has made a promise that they have
> yet to keep; great graphics

Oh and your an authority on games huh? As if you know ANYTHING about Sony's promises.

No-one guarenteed the very best from the console immediately, now get lost and go back to your bloody films!

(ps, how the hell'd ya' know that was me?)

[no-one flame me for this, it's not meant to be taken seriously!]
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:14
I agree that Nintendo is a dying breed. They have yet to get their next Goldeneye. But the worry for me is that PS2 has made a promise that they have yet to keep; great graphics
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:10
Regular
"I like cheese"
BradW wrote:
GTA3 was a step in the right
> direction, but like many PS2 games at the moment. It only has a life of about 2
> months for most people.

Personally, 2 months is long enough for me. I'll have a new game by then (hopefully) which I'll want to play.

Although, games like Red Faction and Smackdown JBI I keep coming back to, mainly because of the mutliplayer. Surely that means Red Faction has lasted months?

And to be honest, I fail to see much that Nintendo can offer that will last for over 2 months. I wouldn't touch Star Fox with a barge pole, Luigi's Mansion is suposedly repetitive and...well, there's not all that much else at the moment.
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:10
I think that XBOX will make an impact cos it is microsoft. And Bill Gates seems to always make a business out of nothing. After all Windows is only a collection of programmes.

GAMECUBE have to prove themselves, but i think that this might be the next N64 i.e. last for a while then die.
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:07
hi ad! its Brad from college!

so are you for or against the PS2 graphics at the mo?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.