GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Have you ever done anything illegal?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/07/07 at 14:43
Regular
So far in your life, have you ever broken the law? You can answer with a simple yes or no, or go into more detail.

I'm thinking a high percentage of people have done something illegal. I'm not talking about murder or rape (though I wouldnt be suprised if some of you have committed arson) but small, petty crimes.

Perhaps you werent even aware you were committing a crime or you feel what you've done shouldnt be illegal in the first place.

Lets have a quick run down to confirm whether some things you might have done, are actually illegal or not. And no this is not a list of things I've done. (well not all of them)

Is it illegal to download copyrighted songs, movies and TV shows?
Is it illegal to park in a disabled space?
Is it illegal to steal traffic cones and wear them as a hat?
Is it illegal to prank call the emergency numbers?
Is it illegal to have sexual intercourse with livestock?
Is it illegal to park infront of somebodys driveway?
Is it illegal to film your sister in the shower?
Is it considered rape if you have sex with a drunk woman?
Is it illegal to pay someone 'cash in hand' to avoid taxes?
Is it illegal to litter?
Is it illegal for women to walk around topless in town?
Is it illegal to use someone elses WIFI connection?
Is it illegal to burn flags?

I think that'll do for now =/
Tue 17/07/07 at 16:20
Regular
"Laughingstock"
What on earth is the UK Men's Movement?!
Tue 17/07/07 at 16:34
Regular
I love the way biggie suggests that illegally downloading and pirate DVDs are a very minor crime. Compaired to murder and rape of course but if you work out how much money the programmes you have stolen and DVDs you got on pirate would have cost in a shop and thats how much you have stolen!!!
An amount which, I am sure if you stole in merchandise, would send you to jail for. If you get caught for piracy or illegal downloads the consequences can be huge depending how much they want to make an example of you.

Its seriously illegal stuff......ask chippxero:)
Tue 17/07/07 at 16:37
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I always smile when people class downloading movies and music as a minor offence. Yes: no one's getting killed and lots of people do it, but you're obtaining something illegally and it can be considered akin to stealing the DVD or CD from a shop. And personally I see buying a pirate DVD as a worse crime than downloading it because someone other than the creators of the film or music is profiting from it.

I have downloaded video myself so I can't claim any moral high ground, but in my defence it was a well established TV series that I'd not managed to watch and wanted to sample before buying the DVDs (it was Battlestar Galactica).

I despair when I see my carer's nephews and nieces with their iPods filled with hundreds if not thousands of songs when they actually only own about three or four CDs. And before you ask: no, they don't buy them from iTunes or anywhere else.

I don't judge people who do it as it's entirely their choice and I don't expect anyone but myself to live by my standards.
Tue 17/07/07 at 16:38
Regular
"Twenty quid."
DoomBaboon1982 wrote:
> (stuff)

Ah, "great minds think alike" ... or "fools seldom differ"?

:^D
Tue 17/07/07 at 16:38
"LOLLERSKATES!"
Compared to murder or something like that was exactly what I meant. I would classify buying a pirate DVD as a minor crime. I would say the illegal part of pirate DVD's is those selling them, not buying them, although obviously it is logically a crime to buy a pirate DVD, but a very minor one at that. I wouldn't say downloading music from a website is the same as stealing the CD directly from a store, I can see were you're coming from, but I just don't agree. My ipod is cluttered with thousands of songs I downloaded, I own about 20 CD's. The reality is there are things i'd rather spend my money on, and downloading music from my perspective is cheaper, easier, quicker, and there's a lot more on offer. As for movies, well, i've never downloaded a movie before.
Tue 17/07/07 at 16:43
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Biggie Little Jr wrote:
> I wouldn't say downloading music from a website is the
> same as stealing the CD directly from a store.

Form a group. Record, print, package, distribute and market your future number 1 single. At great expense to yourself.

When it suddenly dawns on you that you're only selling 5 copies per day in each store instead of 50, you're really not going to care how people are stealing the other 45. You're just going to hate them all equally.

Don't even get me started on pirated software.
Tue 17/07/07 at 16:47
Regular
I've downloaded Pirated music and Films, but then, it's almost human nature to choose not to pay for something when it's easily available for free.

I've been in trouble for more serious things, such as putting dirt up a motorbike engine.

Other than it's been more like technicalities, such as under age drinking, public exposure etc that I haven't been caught for.
Tue 17/07/07 at 16:47
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Biggie Little Jr wrote:
> I would say the illegal part of pirate DVD's is those selling
> them, not buying them, although obviously it is logically a
> crime to buy a pirate DVD, but a very minor one at that.

Is buying a stolen car any less illegal than stealing it in the first place?

> I wouldn't say downloading music from a website is the same as
> stealing the CD directly from a store, I can see were you're
> coming from, but I just don't agree.

The only real difference is the lack of the physical CD, case and insert -- you''re still getting something for free which would usually cost you £10 or whatever.

> ... The reality is there are things i'd rather spend my money
> on, and downloading music from my perspective is cheaper,
> easier, quicker, and there's a lot more on offer. As for movies,
> well, i've never downloaded a movie before.

Just because you'd rather spend your money on those other things, doesn't make downloading any less illegal. It's not a consumer choice, it's an illegal shortcut.
Tue 17/07/07 at 16:48
"LOLLERSKATES!"
tnc wrote:
> I've downloaded Pirated music and Films, but then, it's almost
> human nature to choose not to pay for something when it's easily
> available freely and easily.

That's exactly why I do it.

It may be an illegal shortcut, you could call me morally corrupt for downloading music and buying pirate DVD's but the reality is I just don't care and I shall continue to do it.
Tue 17/07/07 at 16:48
Regular
Ah yes pirated Software :) The most expensive software I know of is Quark Express which'll cost you £1000+ or free if you know how.

Some people who argue that it's okay for them to download movies and songs is because "it's something I would never purchase anyway". So I guess they feel it's not actually robbing the creators of any money.

I'm not a fan of the RIAA or MPAA and their tactics. Soon they'll earn more money from suing people than the actual media they sell.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.