GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jobs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/07/07 at 03:30
Regular
I've always had a problem when it comes to choosing a career. I lack so much motivation that it's hard to stick to something, and my inability to study as of recent is causing me to try and rethink myself.

I want something to do that I can be proud of, yet, at the same time, not push myself too far.

So at the moment I want to be a paramedic. I don't have the studying capability to be a doctor, but I love health and medicine and I need to be part of a team that can help save lives. I wonder how long it'll last.

Interestingly though, it's something I've wanted to be for years now. I imagine, give it a week, and I'll be bored of the idea, but I'm going to go for the meantime and have a look into it.

Here is what I'm interested in at the moment. Just felt like sharing.

So.. how about you? Do you have any careers in mind that you'd like to go into?
Tue 17/07/07 at 12:53
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Timmargh wrote:
> I went to the careers office and said I like eating and shagging
> -- they recommended 'deputy Prime Minister'.
>
> *da-dum-tisch*

"two shags"? :)
Tue 17/07/07 at 12:10
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I went to the careers office and said I like eating and shagging -- they recommended 'deputy Prime Minister'.

*da-dum-tisch*
Tue 17/07/07 at 05:17
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'm sorely tempted to get a little piece of metal engraved, drive down there, and nail it to one of the benches near the harbour just so you fall over next time you walk past it.

I can't advise you on schizophrenia, sorry, I don't know anything about it apart from the usual lame jokes :( However, I did just now take a very quick crash 'Google' course in the subject, and it basically says I should carry on supporting you whenever you need it, which ain't hard because I appear to have been doing that for years anyhow :)

Your change in sleeping pattern is a little worrying though, but then I look at myself getting up at 3am this morning...

Anyhow, you remember my hotmail addy so if you want to add me to your contacts feel free and I'll get around to turning MSN on for the first time in 5 years, that way if you need a chat and nobody is around etc.

However, I still reckon the careers office is a neat idea.
Tue 17/07/07 at 04:53
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> So that's it, nip off to the local careers office. Meryck
> Street in Pembroke has one I think. (I used to live in Burton
> just down the road, small world huh?)

Good Lord it's all coming out now. Haha

I've been to it actually, the job it recommended me was a 'surgeon'. Again, I think like you, they got a bit confused when I answered one of my hobbies as 'cutting people'

The problem I have is not just finding what might be right for me, but what I'm actually capable of when it comes to my illness. It's fairly common knowledge, if not on here, that I'm schizophrenic. I suffer in episodes, which -seem- to be bought on by stress, or recently, using language too much. I've been fired from seven jobs now, I'm hoping to get to ten by next year.

You're right though (other topic), I'm really quite lost to what to do with myself. It's quite important to me to find something I can do, especially when you feel so useless. Perhaps I put too much pressure on myself that way.. but I'm determined to act just like anyone else, and unfortunately that means I need a job.

But then again, perhaps I should be more aware that I'm, and this is embarrassing, officially disabled. Most people like me don't have jobs. Only a bare few manage a part time, no stress, job. And yet, hey, I thought paramedic would be perfect! Oh dear, I really need to consider my options a bit more.

I guess, like you said, I just need to find something I love doing and keep doing it. A part of the schizomess is a severe lack of enjoyment and motivation in anything. What glimpse I have of motivation and desire, fades very quickly. It's sad, and it's not just a low desire, it's a complete lack of.. anything. Most days I can't find a reason to get out of bed.

But then I did go to the gym today. Small victories!

Anyway. I guess to be honest I'm not completely aware of my limitations and I have to be careful on what I take on. I don't want to do absolutely nothing, and I've not reached the point where I'm willing to take on a McJob yet, but.. careful balance.

Next time I'm in Burton I'll look for one of those signs that say 'Fantasymeister sat in this bench. His cat was nearby.'
Tue 17/07/07 at 04:24
Regular
Script writing and journalism spring to mind. You could always fly over to a careers website (there are plenty), pop in the fact that you love writing and see what they come up with.

Alternatively, there's probably a careers office near you. I've used one before, you go in, say you're not sure what career you want, then they ask a whole bunch of questions concentrating on where your interests lie, and then, best of all, they'll start firing all sorts of careers at you that you'd never even considered before. I highly recommend it.

I found it quite funny that the first job they came up with for me was 'carpet fitter'. I guess when I said I like travelling and getting laid the software didn't quite get it. The second job they came up with was 'van driver', and that was one of my favourite all-time jobs.

So that's it, nip off to the local careers office. Meryck Street in Pembroke has one I think. (I used to live in Burton just down the road, small world huh?)
Tue 17/07/07 at 04:14
Regular
Good advice. Read it all, never knew you had a daughter.

It's torn for me really. I'm a story teller at heart but I really can't find the right story to tell. I'd love to write, draw, paint comics. I do that, but naturally, not to a decent standard.

And that's torn between having a job I can be proud of, something to do properly, that will get me money. Somewhere I can be part of a team, a family. And still have rewards more than the pay.

One day I'm going to write a story I can be proud of. I keep trying, but I never seem to really get there.

I think I'd like to be part of a team though. Like.. a team that creates something. Maybe someone who can add their own touch to my writing, add to it, someone who can do the art better than I can.

Just do what you love and everything will fall into place, I do suppose.
Tue 17/07/07 at 04:06
Regular
If you cba to read, just skip to the * at the end.

My step brother is a casualty nurse, and whilst I wouldn't recommend the shift pattern or pay or the fact that the novelty or saving lives on a daily basis wears off pretty quickly, it's the sort of job you can be very proud of, yes.

Personally I never had a career in mind when I left skool, so bounced from job to job: van driving, warehouse work, factory work, telesales, office management, sales management. Was never really happy in any of them because my hobbies (like videogaming, computers and music) always seemed more fun.

Surprisingly, it was during a stint of agency work as a postie that the Royal Mail taught me how to touch type, this was around the time the internet was really starting to explode, and I discovered I could write about my hobbies in great length and spread the word very fast, something that had never been possible previously.

This is something I love doing, and I figure we're only here once, why not spend that time doing something we love doing? I look around me and I see people slaving away at jobs they hate for most of their lives, but they have nice houses, cars, 2.4 children. I see others that, like me, worked out they're only here once and want to milk it for all they're worth, but looking for a quick and adrenaline-pumped way to do so and getting banged up for a bit of bird because of it.

I discovered years ago that I'm not quite like that, I'm happy with my own company, I don't need a nice house, a car, and 2.4 children (although I do have a daughter from my disastrous experimental phase of trying to fit in by getting married). I don't believe in afterlife, but then I do believe in leading behaving to others in a Christian manner (do unto others as you'd have done unto yourself etc).

So I jacked in the working life and now scrape an absolute pittance of a living on the web by writing articles and entering competitions, earning the odd freebie here and there. I may be poor as a churchmouse, but I'm the happiest man alive, guaranteed.

*So my advice is... find out what you love doing, then find a way of doing it full-time.
Tue 17/07/07 at 03:30
Regular
I've always had a problem when it comes to choosing a career. I lack so much motivation that it's hard to stick to something, and my inability to study as of recent is causing me to try and rethink myself.

I want something to do that I can be proud of, yet, at the same time, not push myself too far.

So at the moment I want to be a paramedic. I don't have the studying capability to be a doctor, but I love health and medicine and I need to be part of a team that can help save lives. I wonder how long it'll last.

Interestingly though, it's something I've wanted to be for years now. I imagine, give it a week, and I'll be bored of the idea, but I'm going to go for the meantime and have a look into it.

Here is what I'm interested in at the moment. Just felt like sharing.

So.. how about you? Do you have any careers in mind that you'd like to go into?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.