GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Random Post Club Rules"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/02/03 at 23:14
Regular
Okay, just a few ideas for you lot to debate

Rules of the RPC

1 - All new members as of NOW have to sit an entrance 'exam' to get in. This exam will be on the subject of 'Resident Evil and how it affected the teletubbies'. It will then be decided on whether the member is good enough to enter by it's current members (i.e. a vote). Only the following Members don't have to take the mentioned 'exam':
Pliskin
Idlewild
Asher D
Kyz
J-42
Azul
Rickoss
Slaveunit
Dadio500
Wam-man
Parr
Tphi
Sfone
Latchford
Froots
FinalFantasyFanatic

2 - A Schedule will be set up to make 'matches' up between members of the RPC. Once this is done, members should then set it upon themselves to contact the opposing member and set up topics on which to post about. Members should post on the day the schedule says and none other. If, for some reason, the date cannot be met, contact me and ask for a change in date.

3 - If, at any time you wish to leave the club, please contact me and ask. You shall be removed from the schedule and will have to sit the exam too re-enter.

4 - Any member who fails to meet the deadlines set twice in a short peroid of time will be banished from the club. Be gone evil ones!

5 - If there is an odd number of members then one match shall be made into a 3 way battle.

6 - Winners of the matches shall be decided by a GAD win. If no contestant win GAD then nothing changes. If someone from the club does win GAD then they are awarded a point. The person with the most points is the greatest. This part has no point whatsoever and will probably be ignored.

7 - All matches must be accepted by all parties involved before getting the go-ahead.

For the moment, this is it. Feel free to debate over more, but i will just ignore you and pretend I thought up your ideas.
Sat 22/02/03 at 14:43
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I wrote this ages ago, so I guess it can count as an entry 'exam':

I sat looking at this screen for the last ten minutes, racking my brain for long-forgotten post ideas. Then I suddenly came up with an idea. All of my previous posts have been planned. I'd sit and jot a few ideas down, expand on the better ones and discard the rubbish ones. This post, however, is completely the opposite. Welcome to the random post.

Now, as I'm typing this very sentence, I have absolutely no idea where I'm going to go with this. Maybe I'll look into one aspect of gaming, maybe I'll talk about Iraq, who knows, heck, I don't even know! However, I can assure you it won't be ten minutes of waffle.

So, randomness then. How useful is this in the video game industry? (aha- a good idea here!). Well, it's obvious that randomness has sprouted some gems. Take, er, Animal crossing for example. Who would have imagined a game whereby you play the only human in a village of talking animals? Talking animals, now that's certainly random. Having said this, maybe that's why the game is such a success? Yes, possibly it's down to the fact that the simplicity over graphics idea is implemented here, or maybe it's the fact that it really only appeals to Die-hard gamers, who would lavish in the beauty and ingenuity of AC.

Maybe the fact that AC isn't going to be released over here is down to randomness. "Yes, we're nearly done with the translations now, erm, hang on, AC2 is nearly done… let's wait!" Yes, I know, it does seem strange that a release is scrapped because some dude decided out of the blue that it wouldn't be released over here. If anything, it just proves that once again, Europe should have less time between US launches and our own.

So then, now that I've distinguished that randomness can be good, using my random methods of explanation, I suppose we should look at the negative aspects of random decisions. Obviously, the previously mentioned cancelled release of Ac in Europe is negative, but what else is there? Are levels created as a spare of the moment thing? Or is there a lot of extensive planning? Who knows exactly. Maybe it's a mix of both, A kind of "I like this design, um, let's create another as we go along" system, with designed and random levels being implemented together. This would explain some of EA lesser aspects of their games then…

So far I make that 400 words. Out of nowhere. Complete randomness. I'm not even halfway yet. So I suppose this shows that if half a post can be written completely randomly, then maybe it *is* possible for games to be created using out of the blue designs and ideas.

Now, onto one of the finer points of randomness, then. Erm… exactly. At this very moment in time, I'm well and truly stumped on ideas. But that's what's great about randomness. Things will just hit you in the head (Sometimes literally!) and off you go, designing a level, writing a post or answering a Coursework question (Hopefully not he last one anyway…).

So where does that leave gaming? Well, if it was possible to create a game based upon complete randomness, not even contemplating a storyline or other such complicated matters, and then it becomes a hit instantly, where would that leave the rest of the industry? Would whole design teams be sacked? Would the artists be kicked out of the office? Will we ever land on Mars (talk about random!)? Who knows. And maybe, just maybe, it'd be better to leave it that way.

Which brings me to my next sudden flash of inspirational randomness. What would happen if the whole industry were based purely upon randomness? Would rare jump to and from companies? Would SEGA design more consoles? Would Japan get games released there last? Imagine how interesting it would be. Not knowing whether or not a game would be pushed back (You could even say it's like that now…) or completely cancelled altogether. Imagine never having magazines such as XBM, NGC or OPM, as information sources would still exist; yet their 'information' would be completely random.

Just how more exciting would the video games industry be? Maybe it would be that spark, that one little flash of hope that would start the new age of gaming. One full of uncertainties, one that sends us on a rollercoaster ride of randomness. One that was truly perfect.
Sat 22/02/03 at 14:25
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Hmmm... I guess I'm too late to enter. Ah well.
Sat 22/02/03 at 14:07
Regular
"Festivus!"
Muddatrucker wrote:
> So what date is that?

I shall check for you now...

This shall be fun
Sat 22/02/03 at 12:54
Regular
"Mudda owns BEARDS :"
idlewild wrote:
> Cubist is in as is Muddatrucka - You 2 can face each other the day
> after the last date scheduled.

So what date is that?#

And Azul, never underestimate the power of Muddatrucker :D
Sat 22/02/03 at 12:50
Regular
"Brrrrr."
How exactly has resident evil effected the Teletubbies?
Sat 22/02/03 at 12:26
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Hmmm, I wonder who will win...
[\sarcasm]
*ahem*
Sat 22/02/03 at 11:43
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
It shall be done
Sat 22/02/03 at 11:41
Regular
"Festivus!"
Cubist is in as is Muddatrucka - You 2 can face each other the day after the last date scheduled.
Sat 22/02/03 at 11:18
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Fine I will do the entrance exam :-

Resident Evil wether you're talking about the film or games is a story of death,gore and pretty much everything sinister you can imagine. But the Teletubbies whoever are midgets dressed in colourfull costumes, who can't speak English and look rather tubby. How has Resident Evil effected the teletubbies? The answer is...more than you could possibly imagine.

When you think of all the evils on the earth you think of Suddame Hussein and Osama Bin Laden but what you don't think of is the puffy little creatures that are the Telletubbies. At first they were just a cheap way to get babys to sit in front of the tv for hours while parents do something totally un-related. They were a sort of TV babysitter but then they went to the cinema on one of their nigts off and saw "Resident Evil".

The Telletubbies got crazed ideas from this movie about world domination and no matter how many times they were told they couldn't "Kill people and bring them back to life!" They just tilted there head and laughed in a girlish tone.

They set about creating the deadly toxin in Resident evil but to avoid Copyright infrindgement they named it "Chemical Tubbie". House by house the Teletubbies gained the trust of the public all the while anylasing every aspect of the Resident Evil story.

This was a crisis...everyone knew there was something not right about these creatures but whith no evidence to get them commited to some kind of Asylum they continued with their evil plots.

After they finished construction of their "Tele Hive" (once again to avoid copyright infrindgement). They manufactured the deadly toxin "Chemical Tubbie". Their only problem was how to distribute it? They couldn't just realease it into the atmosphere or they'd be effected too...it was truly a predicament until inspiration came to one of the fat little fur balls.

The Teletubbies started a trend called "Tubbie Toast" each slice laden with this chemical formula to make all humans their army of the undead.

Now I know you must be thinking "What happened next?" "Should I finish this slice of toast?" and other topical questions but I am afraid you are most likely already infected. The only advice I can give is to hire a Dumb Blonde with a Black belt in most martial arts and a love of guns. She may have to kill you but better that than serving a spherical creature with few literary skills. God speed...god speed...

-------------

There that is my ehem entry. Hope it's good enough :D
Sat 22/02/03 at 10:47
Regular
"Ye a know"
i think muddatracker should be aloud in,his story is totally true and i agree totally

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.