GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Discrimination against the Xbox: It has to stop"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/02/03 at 14:18
Regular
How many times has the Xbox been criticized as a computer? Many people say that the Xbox is an overrated fraud of a console. The other day my friend started to criticize the Xbox, comparing it to his Playstation 2 saying how much better it was. He plays on my Xbox and sure enough after an hour gaming on Halo he suddenly had some different opinions about the matter. After another hours gaming on Sega GT 2002 and Colin MacCrae Rally 3 he finally decided to renounce his earlier opinions of the Xbox and admit that it was a pretty good computer. Computer? COMPUTER!!! I was enraged. I nearly hit him over the head with his Playstation 2 he brought to "play on". It didn't even get out of his bag.

OK, the Xbox may have been made by Microsoft, who make computers and software by trade but that does not mean people can treat and dismiss the Xbox as a computer. Even now the Playstation 2 is having a desktop software being created for it. It is having keyboards and mouse’s being adapted to work with it. Now if you were to compare that to the Xbox, which ones a computer now.

People also discriminated against the Xbox because of its size. So it’s big, size doesn't always matter. How else was Microsoft going to fit everything inside it to make it as powerful as it is today. Consoles were built for playing games on, not for carrying around. People might want to take their Console to a friend’s house but what’s the point. If you want a friend to play with you, invite them over to your house and play there. This reduces theft and damages to any console anywhere.

The main proof that people use to discriminate against the Xbox is the fact that Bill Gates is a rich git who does not care at all about the Xbox project. So what! Bill gates did not design or come up with the idea of the Xbox. It is not his dream. He really has no part to play in it other than fund its beginning. What people forget are the people who
actually build and manufacture the Xbox. Most don’t even earn as much as 0.00005% of Bill gates fortune. They have to work and make sure the Xbox sells for their own individual profit. That’s where quality control and quality manufacture comes in. Bill owns the Microsoft name, which only means he gets some of the money. If people want any of it they have to work and make sure their division of the Microsoft Empire sells; otherwise they either do not get paid or/and are out of a job.

In conclusion I would like to add that one of the biggest reasons why people do not like the Xbox is because they are jealous, jealous because its better than any of their consoles.
Tue 04/03/03 at 21:50
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Just think of the children!

(and the monkeys)

Monkey Ball 2!

Yay!

10 days!

Wohooooooo!
Tue 04/03/03 at 21:49
Regular
"Far Beyond Metal"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Untitled wrote:
> right, good and were left with..... Halo 2
>
> wow great line up, truely breathtaking,
>
> You're an idiot.

I'll second that. He is truly an idiot.
Tue 04/03/03 at 21:34
Regular
Untitled wrote:
>

You're an idiot.
Tue 04/03/03 at 21:32
Regular
Star Fury wrote:
> Yes there is a monthly fee, no one is going to run the servers and
> maintain them out of charity ! Besides, Amazon and other sites all say
> there is a fee to pay, plus there is in America so why not over here ?
> Exactly. I don`t know where you have this idead of game + adaptor for
> 50 because again, I can`t find it online and SR do not have it. So
> that still sounds expensive to me.

Well as I said - I don't know. I was fairly sure Nintendo stated that there'd be no monthly fee - but we'll just have to wait and see. Oh, and that 50 pounds for broadband and the game is legit - it was in one of Nintendo's statements about their online service. I think I read it on this site, actually.

> The only Xbox games that will have them are the MMORPG's with
> persistent worlds, all the rest are Live!, and free once the yearly
> sub is paid. The point is that Xbox Live!, by having its own
> infrastructure, allows the choice. With Nintendo it's pay per game or
> not at all.

Indeed - and I expect the GameCube monthly fees will be only with the MMORPG's, such as Phantasy Star Online. As nothing's been said about any other games, no-one can say a thing. But seeing as Sony and Microsoft aren't charging for anything other than those MMORPG's - I very much doubt Nintendo will.

> Erm well I think anyone whose played Moto GP will tell you otherwise,
> fair play on Whacked, but it is still two more demos than Nintendo are
> giving away..... and rrp is 39.99 , check SR 's listing if you don't
> believe me.

I'm going by review here - MotoGP is supposed to be alright, whereas Whacked is alledgedly terrible. I can't speak from personal experience and yes, that is two more than Nintendo give away but bear in mind that PSO + Broadband deal for 50 pounds. A friend of mine enquired at GAME about the starter kit - they said the RRP was 45 pounds. I expect SR, being a discount network, would have it for cheaper.

> Nintendo will need a headset, and some games to support
> it, but how do you do reliable voice over 56k ? I fear that will take
> more than Nintendo's own brand magic...... Keyboard is okay, but for
> games where communication is essential it's too slow, no one can
> concentrage on the game and type that fast too keep up with the
> action. Take Ghost Recon, by the time I've typed "I've got one
> moving out of the tree line" I'm probably dead before I finished
> the sentence.

Yeah, you've got a point there. I'm not sure how it'll all work - perhaps the people with 56K will play with others using that speed, whereas Broadband users will play with the other BB players? I don't know - that would be the fairest, simplest and most effecient way to do things.
Tue 04/03/03 at 19:43
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Untitled - did it take a lot of practise to be such a mong or does it come naturally to people like you ?
You really are a clueless class A Kermit.
Tue 04/03/03 at 16:42
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Untitled wrote:
> ok, lets take out the pure crap of this line up, chall we,
>

You obviously have a very fine tuned sense of what games are good and what games aren't. I fear I am not worthy to stand in the presence of such a person.

So feck off.
Tue 04/03/03 at 13:46
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
> Untitled wrote:
> ok, lets take out the pure crap of this line up, chall we,
>
>

Ha ha ha.....you removed PSO from the list ! :D Truly a demonstration worthy of the mongoloid....
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:26
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I was just gonna point what Alistair said, you say that £10 a month isn't much because your parents pay it...

That's £120 a year and my Dad pays it, he wouldn't get the 600k version because it's so much more and 128k does all the jobs I need!

I'd also rather keep that £120 and buy 3/4 new offline games which will keep me far more entertained than just playing the same games online...

Remember, money doesn't grow on trees!
Tue 04/03/03 at 11:11
Regular
"aliens exist"
Savatt78 wrote:
> Untitled wrote:
> ho0w can u even compare the crap x box service
> to the gamecubes line up. gamecube will have

> Ahhhhhhhh, the noisey mating call of the clueless mongoid...
> 4 Games huh ? Wow, thats a really impressive line up there.
> So the likes of...
> Halo 2
> Project Gothem Racing 2
> Amped 2
> Steel Battalion 2
> PSO (which is in your meager list)
> Return To Castle Wolfenstein
> Star Wars Galaxies
> True Fantasy Live Online
> Moto GP 2
> Brute Force
> Counter Strike
> Dead Or Alive 4
> Midtown Madness 3
> Soldier Of Fortune 2
> Lamborghini
>
ok, lets take out the pure crap of this line up, chall we,

right, good and were left with..... Halo 2

wow great line up, truely breathtaking,
Tue 04/03/03 at 08:16
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I'm lucky. My dad loves new technology just as much as I do :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.