GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"In defence of Pop"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/01/02 at 23:07
Regular
Why do you like a band and loathe another? What about music genres? Be honest now…

Some people make a fuss about really hating certain styles of music. Let’s look at Pop as an example of this, shall we. Why would anyone hate pop music? It does little harm and doesn’t offend anyone (at least, not lyrically) so why all the big fuss about it?

Well, there is a well used argument that all of pop is artificially created and that pop musicians have absolutely no talent themselves, they are merely puppets to corporate suits who stand behind them working the strings. This may be true for a few bands or singers, but the whole of pop music? Well, that’s going a bit too far. Lets look at the argument in more detail.

Pop music is only about ‘suits’ making money.

The business men behind music know that they can make a lot of money. Is it only pop music they focus on? No, of course it’s not, they are often in charge of a whole lot of bands, from rock to pop and even dance, as long as they get their money, most are happy to sign and support any new band.

When (or if) the band becomes famous, they will celebrate. Of course, they will, in the same way that people will celebrate winning the lottery or making money any other way. Does this make the musicians any less musical? No, they are creating music because they want to and not because they are told to. Ok, so some of them merely sing music that other people have written for them, but then this has also been going on for years and it’s simply entertainment, whether you like the music or not.

There is no talent in pop.

The musicians themselves actually believe they are making music that people like to listen to, and why should we doubt them? Millions of people buy their singles and albums every day and are happy to listen to the music that their favourite bands produce. The argument goes that the artists haven’t got any talent, well who has? Talent can be shown in live performances. Some bands can’t sing for toffee live, a lot of singers for dance bands, metal, rock, indie and pop can’t do the live thing and have to resort to studio effects on their voices, but not everyone. There are plenty of pop bands and singers that can actually sing, and sing well. They can produce moving Ballards or shiny pop that is as innocent looking as the young band members themselves.

The bands are manufactured

Yes, from the Monkees to Heresay, quite a few bands have been put together by the business themselves. Is this a bad thing? Get together a whole bunch of people who can sing and make them a group. Does this make them any worse than, say, 3 friends who met in a pub and decided to form a band? I think not. Ok, so if they can’t sing then that’s a valid point and just reflects badly on the people who put the band together in the first place, same as any other genre of music really.

It’s too popular.

Funny that, pop music being popular! Who’d have thought? But it’s not just popular because a load of people have been hypnotised by evil men in suits either, a lot of people who have sound judgement go out and buy a Steps album or something by the Corrs because they like it. Not because the band stands for something or doesn’t like cruelty to animals or something, merely because they like the sound of the music. What’s wrong with that? Surely the same argument can be used against the other types of music, perhaps you are listening to music because it’s cool and others that you want to be like are also listening to it? Perhaps you hate pop music mainly for the image it represents? So what do you think that says about you? That you follow the crowd (be it the minority or whatever)? That you are forcing yourself not to like something that secretly you could actually listen to quite happily?

I hate pop.

So you really hate all pop music. Fine. Just so long as you hate it because you really can’t stand to listen to it, not because your friends would ridicule you for singing to S Club 7 or listening to Kylie. Even so, it’s very hard to believe that anyone could hate the sound of all pop music, given the extent of style and the many bands to choose from.
Tue 08/01/02 at 12:54
Regular
"WWJD"
I think that some pop music is catchy and some of the people maybe able to "sing" but still, it always comes down to, they didn't write it or the music the real talent is in Rock, doesn't have to be Rock but thats where the true talent lies.

They all deserve alot more money and respect for there work for writing the lyrics and the music, it's there song they did everything, they deserve all the credit, not these Pop singers who just sing other peoples words. They have no meaning for them because they didn't write it, it didn't come from them it's just not right.

Bands like Feeder deserve the money and fame and respect because they are the real musicians there the real music "buisness". The only reason the pop people make it is because it's all happy and people "like" that or there all beautiful, nice to look at, ill give them this they can sing, well some of them. Thats is all i have to say on the matter.
Tue 08/01/02 at 08:58
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
>I'd like to see Kylie to draw me a picture of an Asus7# chord!

You'll probably find that chord doesn't exist. If you mean an A suspended with a sharpened seventh, it would be written as Asus#7. Don't try and be smart unless you know what you're talking about.
Mon 07/01/02 at 17:07
Regular
"Tat Twam Asi"
I am fully aware that rock is not the only music out there but it is one of the purest forms of music, it takes a lot of talent as you do have to write your own songs, you have to write your own lyrics, you have to play your own instruments and you only get signed on your own merits. Where as in pop, it only matters if you have 'the look', they wouldn't put an cosmetically challenged person in front of a camera!

Classical is probably where the most talent lies, it is pure in the sense that it initially only exists in someones head and they will write the parts for some 30 instruments before an instrument is even picked up!

I'd like to see Kylie to draw me a picture of an Asus7# chord!
Mon 07/01/02 at 15:02
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Rock isn't the only sort of music out there, you know.

Ok, so maybe Bennington can hit the high notes, but they still cheated on the album - it's very obvious on "Myself".
Mon 07/01/02 at 10:40
Regular
"Tat Twam Asi"
A quick note about why pop music sucks so much.

It's because no talent losers who are asthetically pleasing get paid lots of money to stand in front of a camera and sing songs that they neither wrote the lyrics for or the music because they wouldn't know an instrument if it came up and bit them on the proverbial!

Real talent lies in bands that write their own music, play thier own instruments and although they get less exposure, they make a damn site more money. Example; The White Stripes. Two people, very talented, signed a contract for $20 million! Well deserved!

Pop, is short for popular, it's only popular because that's all certain people play. Bands like Sum 41, Linkin Park, Slipknot are breaking in to the mainstream, take a look around you, there are skater kids everywhere these days and together we will crush the scurge of pop toss that is soooo easy to write that you can sit at home with a copy of Ejay and become famous overnight, as Daniel Beddingfield proved!

Rock is real, rock is emotive, rock is GOD!
Sun 06/01/02 at 22:13
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Small Frog - Chester can hit the high notes, I've seen him do it.
Sun 06/01/02 at 19:20
what annoys me is when people say that "pop is better than depressing stuff like radiohead etc". does this mean that pop fans listen to westlife etc because it isnt depressing? well i dont need music to make me "feel happy", so i'll stick to radiohead thanks
Sun 06/01/02 at 18:26
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I hate pop music...

Well, teenybopper music anyway...

let's face it... it's s**té!

I mean it's all too happy... there's no emotion in it (No Destinys Child jokes please)

It's all wishy-washy crap - just like Goatboy said...

Bob Dylan is good. Muse are good. Beatles. Stones. All good.

Westlife: Suck!
Sun 06/01/02 at 15:47
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Personally, I believe that the 'pop' genre is too wide to be covered with the sweeping statement of "I hate pop music". Obviously, most people assume that pop music is the stuff like Hear'say and Westlife. But other pop artists like David Gray write unbelieveably successful music - his White Ladder album hasn't left the album charts since it was released over 80 weeks ago.

People who accuse pop artists of having no talent often ignore the other genres that also involve having no talent. Dance music, for example. As an experiment, I wrote a dance track in 15 minutes on my keyboard (a good keyboard, mind, not a crummy casio one), and sent it to a record company. I won't name them. Two weeks later I got a letter from them saying they would like to hear more of what I've written. I'm still deciding whether or not to write some more. But rap music. This requires less talent than people like Hear'say. The backing to a rap track is generally a looped 4-bar phrase, or it is simply ripped out from another artist's work. Eminem's Stan was such a hit because of the haunting Dido verse between Mr Mathers spitting in to a mike. And I am getting very sick of hearing that Missy Elliot riff played everywhere.

'Nu' metal is produced well, but the music itself is very simple. Groups like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit use very cliched lyrics and chord sequences, but have nifty effects put on the vocals, and use other samples to fill out the music. They also can not perform live. Chester Bennington can't get anywhere near as high on stage as he does on the album, and regardless of any other opinions, while Fred Durst can rap whilst sounding like someone has just kicked him where it hurts, HE CAN NOT SING. Faith was murdered by him and his band. HE IS NOT IN TUNE. HE NEVER HAS BEEN AND NEVER WILL BE.HE SHOULD STOP. Ahem.

Groups like Sum41, Blink 182 and AndrewWK are all pop groups. Their music is popular, and most of it is justifiable. They have good advertising on MTV and Kerrang!, they are all young(ish) males, and their music is predictable and repetitive, but it strikes a chord (so to speak) with teenagers all over the country. Therefore the music doesn't have to be good, just fast and with a catchy tune in the chorus. You are also able to jump around to it.

Music is something enjoyed by everyone, yet everyone has different tastes. Regardless of whether or not bands are manufactured, if they sell well, it implies the music is good, and appeals to a major audience.

Apart from Hear'say, who should be shot.
Sun 06/01/02 at 01:19
Regular
Have S Club 2 with Rachel and Hannah, the rest can bog off, and instead of singing their teeny bopper stuff, they can Lap Dance.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.