GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"In defence of Pop"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/01/02 at 23:07
Regular
Why do you like a band and loathe another? What about music genres? Be honest now…

Some people make a fuss about really hating certain styles of music. Let’s look at Pop as an example of this, shall we. Why would anyone hate pop music? It does little harm and doesn’t offend anyone (at least, not lyrically) so why all the big fuss about it?

Well, there is a well used argument that all of pop is artificially created and that pop musicians have absolutely no talent themselves, they are merely puppets to corporate suits who stand behind them working the strings. This may be true for a few bands or singers, but the whole of pop music? Well, that’s going a bit too far. Lets look at the argument in more detail.

Pop music is only about ‘suits’ making money.

The business men behind music know that they can make a lot of money. Is it only pop music they focus on? No, of course it’s not, they are often in charge of a whole lot of bands, from rock to pop and even dance, as long as they get their money, most are happy to sign and support any new band.

When (or if) the band becomes famous, they will celebrate. Of course, they will, in the same way that people will celebrate winning the lottery or making money any other way. Does this make the musicians any less musical? No, they are creating music because they want to and not because they are told to. Ok, so some of them merely sing music that other people have written for them, but then this has also been going on for years and it’s simply entertainment, whether you like the music or not.

There is no talent in pop.

The musicians themselves actually believe they are making music that people like to listen to, and why should we doubt them? Millions of people buy their singles and albums every day and are happy to listen to the music that their favourite bands produce. The argument goes that the artists haven’t got any talent, well who has? Talent can be shown in live performances. Some bands can’t sing for toffee live, a lot of singers for dance bands, metal, rock, indie and pop can’t do the live thing and have to resort to studio effects on their voices, but not everyone. There are plenty of pop bands and singers that can actually sing, and sing well. They can produce moving Ballards or shiny pop that is as innocent looking as the young band members themselves.

The bands are manufactured

Yes, from the Monkees to Heresay, quite a few bands have been put together by the business themselves. Is this a bad thing? Get together a whole bunch of people who can sing and make them a group. Does this make them any worse than, say, 3 friends who met in a pub and decided to form a band? I think not. Ok, so if they can’t sing then that’s a valid point and just reflects badly on the people who put the band together in the first place, same as any other genre of music really.

It’s too popular.

Funny that, pop music being popular! Who’d have thought? But it’s not just popular because a load of people have been hypnotised by evil men in suits either, a lot of people who have sound judgement go out and buy a Steps album or something by the Corrs because they like it. Not because the band stands for something or doesn’t like cruelty to animals or something, merely because they like the sound of the music. What’s wrong with that? Surely the same argument can be used against the other types of music, perhaps you are listening to music because it’s cool and others that you want to be like are also listening to it? Perhaps you hate pop music mainly for the image it represents? So what do you think that says about you? That you follow the crowd (be it the minority or whatever)? That you are forcing yourself not to like something that secretly you could actually listen to quite happily?

I hate pop.

So you really hate all pop music. Fine. Just so long as you hate it because you really can’t stand to listen to it, not because your friends would ridicule you for singing to S Club 7 or listening to Kylie. Even so, it’s very hard to believe that anyone could hate the sound of all pop music, given the extent of style and the many bands to choose from.
Tue 03/09/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Why on earth has this been popped up the top ? Except because some "person" is trying to promote a band with a site that has a macromedia animation on the front end that takes a small eternity to load if you haven't got Broadband.........

~~Belldandy~~
Tue 03/09/02 at 18:06
I think the music biz is totally upside down....I am in a band and i think we should be signed and are much better than some of the things out at the Moment....infact you can listen to our CD online at www.soultrader.info, just click on the white CD cover with the old boots on it and listen...Tell me what you think and if you like us send the address to a friend....get us some coverage....sign our guest book and let me know what you think!!! Scotty
Wed 09/01/02 at 17:11
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> Hybrid Valves wrote:
It's because no talent losers
> who are asthetically
> pleasing get paid lots of money to stand in front of a
> camera and sing
> songs that they neither wrote the lyrics for or the music
> because they
> wouldn't know an instrument if it came up and bit them on the
>
> proverbial!
Real talent lies in bands that write their own music, play
> thier
> own instruments and although they get less exposure, they make a
> damn site more
> money.

What a load of rubbish. If someone is a member
> of a popular group then in no way are they losers. They quite clearly have
> talent - they can appeal to people and are easily liked and they sound good. So
> what if they did not write the lyrics. Who actually cares apart from the "I
> hate op" brigade ? Can anyone like a song just because someone certain
> wrote it ? No, I like any song that I like the sound of. Instruments ? Again who
> really cares if the song sounds good. If these rock bands are so talented then
> why aren't they popular ? But if they did become popular then all of a sudden it
> would be the "I hate pop brigade" who would be the one supporting
> popular music, because that is what rock would become if everyone liked
> it.

>Pop, is short for popular, it's only popular
> because that's
> all certain people play. Bands like Sum 41, Linkin Park, Slipknot
> are
> breaking in to the mainstream, take a look around you, there are skater
> kids
> everywhere these days and together we will crush the scurge of pop
> toss that is
> soooo easy to write that you can sit at home with a copy of
> Ejay and become
> famous overnight, as Daniel Beddingfield proved!

Yeah
> all these kids look alike, far worse than most pop fans. Anyone notice the
> identically designed black hooded sweaters with different transfers on ? They
> are sooooo extreme and individual.... :P And the examples used here are, with
> exception of Slipknot, both Pop bands ! Still its always entertaining seeing the
> skateboard kiddies come flying off their boards outside the store I work, and
> the way they all try to act tough is pretty funny as well...as for the makeup...
> well so many people have it on that they just look like some kinda extra off
> Buffy.

What you just said was just wrong. People in pop groups are only chosen because they are aesthetically pleasing, usually only one person in the group can sing - you can tell because they aren't as nice looking as the other people. Oh, and they dance too. Woo hoo.

And yes, many of the people who like rock and metal music do look alike, but these are usually the people who have just got into the music or want to look cool/hard. There are many people who like the music and wear completely different attire. And I don't see you saying anything about the way pop fans look...identical! Pot kettle black.
Wed 09/01/02 at 09:39
Regular
"Tat Twam Asi"
Stranger In Paradise wrote:

> why aren't they popular ? But if they did become popular then all of a sudden it
> would be the "I hate pop brigade" who would be the one supporting
> popular music, because that is what rock would become if everyone liked
> it.

Prime example: Limp Bizkit. They suddenly became popular with the Pop music/teeny bopper culture, got high up in the charts with several songs and now the metal and rock world pretty much hate them. It's cool to hate them. Fred Durst says himself "We are the worlds most hated band!"
Wed 09/01/02 at 09:35
Regular
"Tat Twam Asi"
Small_Frog wrote:
> I agree that rock musicians tend to write more of their music (although pop
> bands like Travis, Coldplay and Stereophonics write their own) but all the
> aggressive images that groups like SOAD and Soulfly tends to come from their
> advertising record companies. (However, I admit that this is not the case for
> all rock bands)

Yeah i would say that coldplay, Stereophonics etc are rock bands. In fact i was getting my guitar fixed in London a few weeks back and the Coldplay singer was dropping his guitar off at the same shop for a set-up as they started to record their new album!
Tue 08/01/02 at 21:16
pop SUCKS!!! rock music RULES!!!!!!!!!!
Tue 08/01/02 at 20:23
pop,including the boy/girl bands, and the manufactured nu-metal lacks any kind of emotion.westlife etc teach 11 year old girls about love, and linkin park etc try to teach 11 year old boys about anger, but all they do in reality is cloud thier minds.
i dont care what people listen too, but id rather not see and hear these "artists" whenever i turn on the tv, or look out the window.
Tue 08/01/02 at 19:57
Hybrid Valves wrote:
It's because no talent losers
> who are asthetically pleasing get paid lots of money to stand in front of a
> camera and sing songs that they neither wrote the lyrics for or the music
> because they wouldn't know an instrument if it came up and bit them on the
> proverbial!
Real talent lies in bands that write their own music, play thier
> own instruments and although they get less exposure, they make a damn site more
> money.

What a load of rubbish. If someone is a member of a popular group then in no way are they losers. They quite clearly have talent - they can appeal to people and are easily liked and they sound good. So what if they did not write the lyrics. Who actually cares apart from the "I hate op" brigade ? Can anyone like a song just because someone certain wrote it ? No, I like any song that I like the sound of. Instruments ? Again who really cares if the song sounds good. If these rock bands are so talented then why aren't they popular ? But if they did become popular then all of a sudden it would be the "I hate pop brigade" who would be the one supporting popular music, because that is what rock would become if everyone liked it.

>Pop, is short for popular, it's only popular
> because that's all certain people play. Bands like Sum 41, Linkin Park, Slipknot
> are breaking in to the mainstream, take a look around you, there are skater kids
> everywhere these days and together we will crush the scurge of pop toss that is
> soooo easy to write that you can sit at home with a copy of Ejay and become
> famous overnight, as Daniel Beddingfield proved!

Yeah all these kids look alike, far worse than most pop fans. Anyone notice the identically designed black hooded sweaters with different transfers on ? They are sooooo extreme and individual.... :P And the examples used here are, with exception of Slipknot, both Pop bands ! Still its always entertaining seeing the skateboard kiddies come flying off their boards outside the store I work, and the way they all try to act tough is pretty funny as well...as for the makeup... well so many people have it on that they just look like some kinda extra off Buffy.
Tue 08/01/02 at 18:06
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Hybrid Valves wrote:
> I am fully aware that rock is not the only music out there but it is one of the
> purest forms of music, it takes a lot of talent as you do have to write your own
> songs, you have to write your own lyrics, you have to play your own instruments
> and you only get signed on your own merits. Where as in pop, it only matters if
> you have 'the look', they wouldn't put an cosmetically challenged person in
> front of a camera!

Classical is probably where the most talent lies, it is
> pure in the sense that it initially only exists in someones head and they will
> write the parts for some 30 instruments before an instrument is even picked
> up!

I mostly agree with you, although it isn't always true. Take The Hives for example, great band in my opinion, and yet THEY were picked to be in a band by one man, and he writes all their stuff I think. By the way, it wasn't at auditions or anything like a pop group, so before any of the pop people have a go at me he wrote to them by letter because of their legendary skills. Well not legendary, but you get the point.
Tue 08/01/02 at 14:48
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
I agree that rock musicians tend to write more of their music (although pop bands like Travis, Coldplay and Stereophonics write their own) but all the aggressive images that groups like SOAD and Soulfly tends to come from their advertising record companies. (However, I admit that this is not the case for all rock bands)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.