GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"In defence of Pop"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/01/02 at 23:07
Regular
Why do you like a band and loathe another? What about music genres? Be honest now…

Some people make a fuss about really hating certain styles of music. Let’s look at Pop as an example of this, shall we. Why would anyone hate pop music? It does little harm and doesn’t offend anyone (at least, not lyrically) so why all the big fuss about it?

Well, there is a well used argument that all of pop is artificially created and that pop musicians have absolutely no talent themselves, they are merely puppets to corporate suits who stand behind them working the strings. This may be true for a few bands or singers, but the whole of pop music? Well, that’s going a bit too far. Lets look at the argument in more detail.

Pop music is only about ‘suits’ making money.

The business men behind music know that they can make a lot of money. Is it only pop music they focus on? No, of course it’s not, they are often in charge of a whole lot of bands, from rock to pop and even dance, as long as they get their money, most are happy to sign and support any new band.

When (or if) the band becomes famous, they will celebrate. Of course, they will, in the same way that people will celebrate winning the lottery or making money any other way. Does this make the musicians any less musical? No, they are creating music because they want to and not because they are told to. Ok, so some of them merely sing music that other people have written for them, but then this has also been going on for years and it’s simply entertainment, whether you like the music or not.

There is no talent in pop.

The musicians themselves actually believe they are making music that people like to listen to, and why should we doubt them? Millions of people buy their singles and albums every day and are happy to listen to the music that their favourite bands produce. The argument goes that the artists haven’t got any talent, well who has? Talent can be shown in live performances. Some bands can’t sing for toffee live, a lot of singers for dance bands, metal, rock, indie and pop can’t do the live thing and have to resort to studio effects on their voices, but not everyone. There are plenty of pop bands and singers that can actually sing, and sing well. They can produce moving Ballards or shiny pop that is as innocent looking as the young band members themselves.

The bands are manufactured

Yes, from the Monkees to Heresay, quite a few bands have been put together by the business themselves. Is this a bad thing? Get together a whole bunch of people who can sing and make them a group. Does this make them any worse than, say, 3 friends who met in a pub and decided to form a band? I think not. Ok, so if they can’t sing then that’s a valid point and just reflects badly on the people who put the band together in the first place, same as any other genre of music really.

It’s too popular.

Funny that, pop music being popular! Who’d have thought? But it’s not just popular because a load of people have been hypnotised by evil men in suits either, a lot of people who have sound judgement go out and buy a Steps album or something by the Corrs because they like it. Not because the band stands for something or doesn’t like cruelty to animals or something, merely because they like the sound of the music. What’s wrong with that? Surely the same argument can be used against the other types of music, perhaps you are listening to music because it’s cool and others that you want to be like are also listening to it? Perhaps you hate pop music mainly for the image it represents? So what do you think that says about you? That you follow the crowd (be it the minority or whatever)? That you are forcing yourself not to like something that secretly you could actually listen to quite happily?

I hate pop.

So you really hate all pop music. Fine. Just so long as you hate it because you really can’t stand to listen to it, not because your friends would ridicule you for singing to S Club 7 or listening to Kylie. Even so, it’s very hard to believe that anyone could hate the sound of all pop music, given the extent of style and the many bands to choose from.
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:07
"possibly impossible"
Why do you like a band and loathe another? What about music genres? Be honest now…

Some people make a fuss about really hating certain styles of music. Let’s look at Pop as an example of this, shall we. Why would anyone hate pop music? It does little harm and doesn’t offend anyone (at least, not lyrically) so why all the big fuss about it?

Well, there is a well used argument that all of pop is artificially created and that pop musicians have absolutely no talent themselves, they are merely puppets to corporate suits who stand behind them working the strings. This may be true for a few bands or singers, but the whole of pop music? Well, that’s going a bit too far. Lets look at the argument in more detail.

Pop music is only about ‘suits’ making money.

The business men behind music know that they can make a lot of money. Is it only pop music they focus on? No, of course it’s not, they are often in charge of a whole lot of bands, from rock to pop and even dance, as long as they get their money, most are happy to sign and support any new band.

When (or if) the band becomes famous, they will celebrate. Of course, they will, in the same way that people will celebrate winning the lottery or making money any other way. Does this make the musicians any less musical? No, they are creating music because they want to and not because they are told to. Ok, so some of them merely sing music that other people have written for them, but then this has also been going on for years and it’s simply entertainment, whether you like the music or not.

There is no talent in pop.

The musicians themselves actually believe they are making music that people like to listen to, and why should we doubt them? Millions of people buy their singles and albums every day and are happy to listen to the music that their favourite bands produce. The argument goes that the artists haven’t got any talent, well who has? Talent can be shown in live performances. Some bands can’t sing for toffee live, a lot of singers for dance bands, metal, rock, indie and pop can’t do the live thing and have to resort to studio effects on their voices, but not everyone. There are plenty of pop bands and singers that can actually sing, and sing well. They can produce moving Ballards or shiny pop that is as innocent looking as the young band members themselves.

The bands are manufactured

Yes, from the Monkees to Heresay, quite a few bands have been put together by the business themselves. Is this a bad thing? Get together a whole bunch of people who can sing and make them a group. Does this make them any worse than, say, 3 friends who met in a pub and decided to form a band? I think not. Ok, so if they can’t sing then that’s a valid point and just reflects badly on the people who put the band together in the first place, same as any other genre of music really.

It’s too popular.

Funny that, pop music being popular! Who’d have thought? But it’s not just popular because a load of people have been hypnotised by evil men in suits either, a lot of people who have sound judgement go out and buy a Steps album or something by the Corrs because they like it. Not because the band stands for something or doesn’t like cruelty to animals or something, merely because they like the sound of the music. What’s wrong with that? Surely the same argument can be used against the other types of music, perhaps you are listening to music because it’s cool and others that you want to be like are also listening to it? Perhaps you hate pop music mainly for the image it represents? So what do you think that says about you? That you follow the crowd (be it the minority or whatever)? That you are forcing yourself not to like something that secretly you could actually listen to quite happily?

I hate pop.

So you really hate all pop music. Fine. Just so long as you hate it because you really can’t stand to listen to it, not because your friends would ridicule you for singing to S Club 7 or listening to Kylie. Even so, it’s very hard to believe that anyone could hate the sound of all pop music, given the extent of style and the many bands to choose from.
Thu 03/01/02 at 10:58
Regular
"You've upset me"
Good post with some good arguements there, Pb. well done. I'll comment later as I can't be bothered to now :-)
Thu 03/01/02 at 18:27
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I don't like pop...

so there...

It's not the fact that it is popular or anything. I would love if the music I liked was more popular. But to me it just seems so fake. These people up on stage, prancing around all smiles and shiny costumes... singing about how lovely and rosy life is... well maybe it is for them and their millions of pounds, but for the rest of the world living in reality, it is not all rosy. I'm not saying we should all be depressed and stuff, but I just don't like all this pretence and facade that pop music seems to use. It also has to have this clean cut image, but then bands (I think it was Staps or S club?Possibly both...) get caught doing drugs, and then still continue with this pretence of being all nice and clean cut and... GAH it just annoys me!

Anyway, I don't like pop music, and although I think you are right about the thing with 'the suits' controlling other genres than pop, pop music is the one that is controlled the most, just because of its easily packaged and promoted nature.

Anyway, end of rant.
Thu 03/01/02 at 19:43
I don't like most pop, not all , because not all of it is controlled by a "man in a suit" but a lot of it is. But thats not the biggest reason , its just when ever i hear a new pop single released it sounds so plain and un-original , and i get very bored listening to it. Pop seems very shallow. A lot of kids do like it , and thats their own choice, but personally i prefer something with a bit more depth , my favourite bands are Green Day, Blink 182 and Sum 41....few others but there the main bands i listen too =)
Thu 03/01/02 at 19:48
Regular
"Long time no see!"
LOL! Why would you wanna defend that Pop rubbish??? I can't stand it, and I can't stand how many decent bands become involved with it and are ruined! I have a bad feeling it'll happen to Sum 41, just like it has with Limp Bizkit!
Thu 03/01/02 at 20:01
Regular
ahh i can see my copy of MGS2 getting ever closer
wahoo!
Thu 03/01/02 at 20:49
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Solskjaer_24 wrote:
> LOL! Why would you wanna defend that Pop rubbish??? I can't stand it, and I
> can't stand how many decent bands become involved with it and are ruined! I have
> a bad feeling it'll happen to Sum 41, just like it has with Limp Bizkit!

You said I can't stand how many DECENT bands become involved with it and are ruined...

err... Sum41... Limp Bizkit...
Sum41 seem to me to be just jumping on a bandwagon started by Blink182 (get some Greenday, Descendents, or... um... Travis Cut for decent pop-punk mate!) and Limp Bizkit... don't get me started...!
Thu 03/01/02 at 20:57
"possibly impossible"
Solskjaer_24 wrote:
> LOL! Why would you wanna defend that Pop rubbish??? I can't stand it, and I
> can't stand how many decent bands become involved with it and are ruined! I have
> a bad feeling it'll happen to Sum 41, just like it has with Limp Bizkit!

Limb Bizkit didn't really have anything to do with pop music as such, they just became more popular and then let their fame get the better of them. Never liked their early stuff anyway.

Pop comes from the same influences as rock and classical music. It is not, as someone commented earlier, just a front controlled entirely by men in suits. There are genuine artists out there who care what they write and what their songs are saying.

So what if their songs are all happy and cheer people up? Some great comedy actors were notorious for having messed up social lives, does that make them any less a comedy actor? Pop singers and groups are acting, the same way that other bands are. Do you think that Radiohead or the Manics are eternally depressed? No, of course they're not! Pop music cheers people up, not everyone, obviously, but a great many people. There are some wonderful ballards and romantic pop that only people who were too young or immature to understand that they don't have to hide their feelings would not appreciate.

Some people live behind the fear that they will look uncool in front of their mates when they admit that they like certain music, other people don't give a toss and live their own lives rather than someone elses. Garage is pretty much people copying each other, indie music has gone stale, pop is one of those genres that stays the distance.

So take your cynical hats off. I bet that every last one of you likes at least one pop song, even if you won't admit it.
Thu 03/01/02 at 21:15
Regular
"Back in black"
So how is pop, popular music, if no body likes it?!?
Thu 03/01/02 at 23:57
pop is popular because it gets radio air time... well people do like it but I personally just don't. I don't buy into all that stuff. Far too samey for my liking, although is is easy to see how people can like it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.