GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 vs Gamecube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/03/03 at 10:10
Regular
what do you think
Mon 03/03/03 at 16:02
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
*Unbeliever produce a whip from his deep pocket. He walks to the nearest horse and starts flogging it rapidly*

That old chestnut again?
Mon 03/03/03 at 15:51
"Darkness, always"
Besides which, you haven't answered my question, as usual.
Mon 03/03/03 at 15:51
"Darkness, always"
Why would I want to settle?

Because it's effectively exactly the same and costs less?

Why would anyone with a modicum of sense pay more for a product which does not deliver in terms of performance the difference in price?
Mon 03/03/03 at 15:43
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Can I just ask a serious question.
>
> Can anyone here listen to sound on Dolby 5.1, and then listen to the
> same sound on something slightly less, and then genuinely say that
> there is an impressionable difference in sound quality?

DD5.1 and DTS are the latest and best audio systems. Why would you want to settle for cr@ppy Pro-Logic 2, when both DD5.1 and DTS are more popular, and better. There are loads of this equipment around now, and falling in price fast. Can't see any reason to "make do" with Pro-Logic2.
Mon 03/03/03 at 15:14
"Darkness, always"
Can I just ask a serious question.

Can anyone here listen to sound on Dolby 5.1, and then listen to the same sound on something slightly less, and then genuinely say that there is an impressionable difference in sound quality?
Mon 03/03/03 at 14:29
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Updated wrote:
> It's got to be PS2 for me. Here's why,...
>
> The Getaway is impressive (although, possibly not 100% perfect)
> Absoloute tosh
> GTA-VC is great fun: Good game and all that if a likkle boring IMO
> Red Faction 2: Upgraded version of this coming out on Cube in April
> Burnout 2 : Same as Red Faction 2
> Need for Speed : Come on, is this really a reason why PS2's better
> than Cube?
> MotoGP 3 due soon.: Oh yay
> And you can play the Sims game on it : Better version coming out on
> CUbe in May
> Doubles up as a DVD player.: But not a very good one
> Even has Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS digital surround sound. : WOW
> Broadband compatible with "slot in" adaptor.: Same as Cube
>
> Come on mate you can do better than that. You could at least have
> listed some good games, where's Ratchet and Clank etc etc
>
> Naming Need for Speed 2 as a reason why PS2's better than Cube is just
> retarded.

Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS (more so) are very high quality. Sounds out of this world through a Technics Digital surround amp and 6 speaker set up. Please do not mock such quality! Even if you can't take advantage of this now, at lease you can upgrade to it, whereas GC can not.

The PS2 "slot in" BB/Hard disk unit is not as per any GC options. On the PS2, the adaptor goes inside the PS2 and connects directly with the motherboard (very high speed). GC has no such option. Instead, GC has 2 custom serial ports with so called "burst mode". What this means is that "peek" or absolute maximum bus speed can not be maintained. The speed of which can be supported through this system bus consistently will be lower. Needless to say that this is less than the PS2 internal slot.

I didn't list Ratchet and Clank (and Jack & Daxter) since I don't tend to go for that sort of game my self. But I do like NFS on PS2.

My PS2 DVD-Video mode looked almost identical to my old Pioneer DVD drive. Even my new Sony DVD/SACD drive is not that much of an upgrade. The improvements seem to be things like better colour reproduction, less obvious "blocky" area's, and so on. It's not like one is poor and the other fantastic.
Mon 03/03/03 at 13:02
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Gamecube - Best offline multiplayer madness ever known to man!

After the N64!

the only games that really appeal to me on the PS2 are GTA3 which I have on my PC and Burnout 2 which is coming out on other platforms later...
Mon 03/03/03 at 12:35
Regular
Updated wrote:
> It's got to be PS2 for me. Here's why,...
>
> The Getaway is impressive (although, possibly not 100% perfect) Absoloute tosh
> GTA-VC is great fun: Good game and all that if a likkle boring IMO
> Red Faction 2: Upgraded version of this coming out on Cube in April
> Burnout 2 : Same as Red Faction 2
> Need for Speed : Come on, is this really a reason why PS2's better than Cube?
> MotoGP 3 due soon.: Oh yay
> And you can play the Sims game on it : Better version coming out on CUbe in May
> Doubles up as a DVD player.: But not a very good one
> Even has Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS digital surround sound. : WOW
> Broadband compatible with "slot in" adaptor.: Same as Cube

Come on mate you can do better than that. You could at least have listed some good games, where's Ratchet and Clank etc etc

Naming Need for Speed 2 as a reason why PS2's better than Cube is just retarded.
Mon 03/03/03 at 12:27
"Uzi Lover"
I've got a PS2, I've got a GameCube.

My little Sister now owns more games on the PS2 then me, so technically it's hers.

I prefer the Cube throughout although some games have slowdown which can be annoying. Still, the titles available appeal to me on the GameCube.

For power:
Xbox
GameCube
Playstation 2

For Games:
GameCube
Playstation 2
Xbox

If you look at that all are pretty equal. Yet the Cube takes the sligh edge.
Mon 03/03/03 at 11:33
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I have both, and the PS2 is the better IMO.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.