GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This is called overdoing it"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/03/03 at 16:20
Regular
Games consoles don't last forever, it's only a matter of years before they retire to the dusty pile in your loft. GameCube I'd say will last until late 2005 and then the successers will be coming in.

Its now 2003, that date is only about two years away.

Capcom, no matter how much I may love them for stuff like Street Fighter and MegaMan are, in my view, overdoing it with the Resident Evil releases. We already have Resident Evil and look whats coming in the future:

Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemisis
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
& Resident Evil Zero this week.

Excuse me, but I found the first one tremendously boring, tedious and dull. Now I know some of you love the Resident Evil series to bits but come on, six releases on the same console and it's a pretty long game in itself, surely you must say you'll get bored during Nemisis or hopefully before?

Enter dark, scary, low-lit room...cue the Thunder!...cue the Zombie!...Zombie dead...press A around room...find a rusty piece of metal...exit room and use the metal somewhere. Repeat.

*Snoreo*

Then I keep hearing that it's 'scary'. Well once you've played every single one of these releases it won't be.

Talk about killing off one of your biggest gaming names Capcom. Maybe if they were spaced out over a long period with fewer releases this would be fine. But no, instead they are going to rush them all out onto the GameCube before it dies and laugh because they are doing pretty much exactly the same coding as the previous version.

No doubt some of you will still go buy it even though it's pretty much the same thing as you already own. I've read countless times now "Oh I must get Phantasy Star this week and Zero".

Please tell me thats MegaMan Zero...no...IT'S ANOTHER RESIDENT EVIL!

Save your money.
Mon 10/03/03 at 19:54
Regular
helloooo... is anyone out there....
Sat 08/03/03 at 14:05
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Stop. Talking. About. How. Great. Zero. Is. :)
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:27
Regular
"Rendering Women."
They never do come around again...
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:24
Regular
"Rendering Women."
Resident Evil is superb.

Play it in the correct environment!

With a mate or a girl at 4:00 with speakers behind you.

Heavy. Best game of last year and Zero is the second best game of this year!
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:21
Regular
I did, I only completed Claire's story though, because then the DC fecked up.
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:13
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Whitestripes wrote:
> But the Ashford family were written in as important characters to the
> backstory, they had involvments with Umbrella from the very beginning.
>
>
> And the fact that Wesker shows up is a huge plot line, considering he
> was thought to be dead before.

The Ashford family were WRITTEN IN to the backstory. They weren't there before. And maybe not even after. I don't believe Wesker's appearance is a big plot line - for CV yes, but not in terms of the whole thing. He could have just appeared in the next game after CV.

I'm not trying to rubbish CV here, I'm a huge fan of RE, and have been since '96, and CV is still a great game. All I'm trying to say is that it doesn't really affect the storyline as much as the others. And I can totally understand why Capcom did that.

Just out of interest, do you two own this game?
Thu 06/03/03 at 17:35
Regular
Plus this RE adventure shows a lot more about the other team Wesker works for... HCF or something the evil company against umbrella.
Thu 06/03/03 at 17:32
Regular
Exactly what WS said, also Jill, Claire, Chris and Leon are all the main characters and RE4 stars Leon... which if you remember Claire has a LOT of connection with and in fact Claire contacted in RECV.

It develops the plot of RE believe it or not.
Thu 06/03/03 at 15:57
Regular
But the Ashford family were written in as important characters to the backstory, they had involvments with Umbrella from the very beginning.

And the fact that Wesker shows up is a huge plot line, considering he was thought to be dead before.
Thu 06/03/03 at 13:49
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Dringo wrote:
> And I mean yes it is... because it is. It is a vital part of the
> storyline. The Raccon city outbreak has ended and so begins the
> on-going war with umbrella.
>
> Resident Evil: Code Veronica is where the story starts again and is
> part of the main story.

It isn't part of the main story by any means. Think about it - Claire could have come back into the lives of Jill and Chris and it wouldn't really matter that we didn't know the exact details of the events. It would explain what had happened to her so we didn't just think "Where the hell did she go", but we don't need all the other information. They introduced a load of new characters rather than old ones - Steve Burnside and the entire Ashford family were created for that game. Now if they wanted they could never mention the Ashfords or Steve ever again and CV wouldn't make any difference to teh big picture. Sure, Wesker came in, but he hardly made a big appearance, did he? There was a tiny amount on him in CVX, which had extra scenes depicting Wesker.

I'm not saying it's bad, and they can (and probably will now CV has seen the light of day on PS2 and soon GC) work the info from that game into the following chapters. But you have to admit that they didn't want to put a lot on the line.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.