GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Unreal 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Unreal 2'.
Tue 04/03/03 at 19:17
Regular
Coolest game for ages or what?

I mean yeah, maybe the gameplay is too slow, and maybe it needs one hell of a PC to get going, but this game kicks some serious butt. Superb graphics and some great music too.

Shame about the length though. I finished it on hard in 3 days. Oh well, back to waiting for Doom 3.
Fri 07/03/03 at 09:19
"Darkness, always"
Dunno about the developers of Deus Ex, but it is possible to plagerise your own work.

Michael Crichton does it all the time...
Thu 06/03/03 at 18:47
You could do that cipro, but you can also sell it to me.
Thu 06/03/03 at 18:36
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
I'd like to apologise for my behaviour. It was unneccessary and unfair to you, Mr Bartender. Your point is a fair one. The game is relatively dull and formulaic, and my rash response was unjustified.

Same to you, Mr Grix.

Out of interest, wasn't System Shock designed by Ion Storm Austin, the same guys that made Deus Ex? That would have made Deus Ex more of an attempt to expand upon established ideas, rather than plagarism. Oh well...
Thu 06/03/03 at 15:57
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Back to the subject in hande, I just un-installed my copy of Unreal 2. It's a god game and all that, but there isn't anything to go back for once you've completed it, I actually may have left it on if it didn't require 3gig of my HD to stay on my computer.

I might put it back on in a few months time when I'm in the mood to play it again.
Thu 06/03/03 at 14:24
"Darkness, always"
Pah. The more I read that back, the more it irritates me.

Does Small Frog honestly believe that I would have said anything different had my name been purple?

I'm not a cynical and sarcastic rapscallion because I'm a notable. I'm a cynical and sarcastic rapscallion because it's in my nature.

If 24 people want to popularise me for being so, then I say let them. But when you attack my notability, you attack the people who voted me into the role in the first place, and neither I nor they will be particularly pleased about that.

Notability = nothing.
Thu 06/03/03 at 14:16
Regular
Small Frog wrote:
"First words spoken to me by a Notable for ages, and they are the typical superior sarcastic nonsense I expected."

Insult Insane Bartender all you wish, but please, try thinking somewhat before insulting a group of people on the behaviour of one member.

I came in here to read opinions on Unreal 2, nothing else. I didn't expect I'd reply.
Thu 06/03/03 at 10:00
"Darkness, always"
Small Frog wrote:
> I only do it for attention. I'm sure you have a higher purpose.

Yes, I come here for spiritual enlightenment, sexual gratification and the wistful notion that I might discover a cure for aids.

That's why I'm here, Yup.
Thu 06/03/03 at 09:58
"Darkness, always"
Small Frog wrote:
> Give me a well-known first-person shooter *without* pretty graphics,
> Mr Bartender (considering release dates). I enjoyed Unreal 2. It was
> slow, dull and too short. But I still enjoyed it. Metal Gear Solid 2
> was repetitive and slow. But I enjoyed that. Most beat-'em-ups are
> highly repetitive button-bashers. I love those. Sorry if you don't
> like me.

My point is, first person shooters have become massively formulaic, and with exception of slowly improving graphics, rapidly increasing minimum specs, and some new levels, there is very little to choose between most of them.

Revolutionary FPS games:

Doom
Half-Life
System Shock II
No-one Lives forever

And that's it. The latter because it actually delves into the shooter taboo of humour, the one before because of its frankly superb mix of FPS and RPG that Deus Ex tried and failed to plagerise. Half-Life because it single handedly revived the genre and Doom for pretty much single-handedly creating it (although it wasn't the first game in the genre, it was the more influencial).

I was almost tempted to put Halo on there as well, since it is, in fact, quite well removed from the norm. For a start, you're not "one of the grunts" only inexplicably harder, it has the balls to make out from the beginning that you're already "the man" and far superior to all the grunts who look up to you with dreamy eyes once they've removed you from your cryogenic hybernation thingy.

And I never said I didn't like you. I hurl abuse at everyone. In time you'll realise that the majority of it is the result of an overly cynical mind, and not to be taken to heart.
Wed 05/03/03 at 21:52
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
And, incidentally, this thread was an experiment for me. Whenever I spend time bothering to write an 'intelligent' (by my standards, not yours) thread, nobody ever replies. I spend thirty seconds writing this, and I get 6 replies.

I only do it for attention. I'm sure you have a higher purpose.
Wed 05/03/03 at 21:51
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Yay, celebrate the formulaic first person shooter with pretty
> graphics.
>
> You will of course excuse me if I don't start jumping up and down
> waving "UNREAL 4EVA" banners, won't you.

*Sigh*

First words spoken to me by a Notable for ages, and they are the typical superior sarcastic nonsense I expected.

Give me a well-known first-person shooter *without* pretty graphics, Mr Bartender (considering release dates). I enjoyed Unreal 2. It was slow, dull and too short. But I still enjoyed it. Metal Gear Solid 2 was repetitive and slow. But I enjoyed that. Most beat-'em-ups are highly repetitive button-bashers. I love those. Sorry if you don't like me.

And as for the banner - you're excused.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.