GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More on the Nintendo situation (please re-post as you see fit)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/03/03 at 09:24
Regular
Nintendo finally admitting serious GC problems...

Seemingly, Nintendo has given up on its “all is well, honest” stance, admitting that the GameCube has some serious problems that need to be overcome, and fast.

Speaking yesterday, Nintendo of America’s George Harrison made the most candid comments to date regarding the plight Nintendo faces in an increasingly hostile three-way console race.

“The real question is, as we start ‘03, what are we going to do differently?" said Harrison, the senior vice president of marketing for Nintendo of America. "For us it’s about trying to get the GameCube business moving and restore the confidence of the licensees."

This follows practically all the industry’s key third party-publishers taking a tentative step away from GameCube support over the past few weeks.

THQ, Sega, Electronic Arts, Codemasters - the list goes on, and the problem, with snowball-like effect, will only get worse unless confidence, both at consumer and industry level, is restored. Nintendo’s problems in the UK have been compounded by rumour that key retail chains are considering reducing GameCube exposure, or removing the machine altogether, in what would undoubtedly prove a killer blow.

The upcoming Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, a hotly-anticipated game sure to be a massive hit, is expected to revive the GameCube’s sales and profile as a killer-app hosting machine. “It’s [Zelda] clearly what we need - to get the GameCube moving,” stated Harrison.
Wed 05/03/03 at 13:22
"For the horde!!!!"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> I don't see how the Gamecube is any more "kiddish" than any
> other console. If you want to explain to me how it is, more than
> likely referring to Mario et al, then I can refute you with any number
> of infantile PS2 games.

because Nintendo are well know for making cartoony platformers or having other developers release cartoony games, i'm not attacking the Gamecube but pointing out the image problem Nintendo have.

> What do I play on my Cube? Well, I don't play any kiddies games, I can
> say that much.

not every game on the Gamecube is a kiddies game.

> It's got a kiddies reputation because of all the people who have never
> played any games on one and slate it because "GTA£ is da
> best eva and i kil u wiv ma stik i roxor".

I have never played GTA3 or Vice city so that dose not apply to me. I admit that I have never played on a Gamecube but I used to own an N64 and games like Banjo and Kazooie and Diddy Kong racing were around while the PSX add games like Metal gear solid, death trap dungion and GTA. Also don't forget Nintendo have Pokemon which is a kiddies game.
Wed 05/03/03 at 13:24
"Darkness, always"
Never played Pokemon then?
Wed 05/03/03 at 13:24
"For the horde!!!!"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> So, Sony approached hundreds of thousands of kids and told them
> "Mario is for gay boys, here's a cookie, spread the word"?
>
> I think not.

Mario is not gay. I loved playing Mario on my snes and Mario 64 was one of the best games I have played to date.
Wed 05/03/03 at 13:26
"For the horde!!!!"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Never played Pokemon then?

yep I used to own Pokemon blue a few years ago on my Gameboy pocket but found it naff and tedius so I gave it to my cousin (who was about 10 at the time).
Wed 05/03/03 at 13:27
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Shadow Knight wrote:
> I have never played GTA3 or Vice city so that dose not apply to me. I
> admit that I have never played on a Gamecube but I used to own an N64
> and games like Banjo and Kazooie and Diddy Kong racing were around
> while the PSX add games like Metal gear solid, death trap dungion and
> GTA. Also don't forget Nintendo have Pokemon which is a kiddies game.

But you can also write from a different perspectvie here.
I had an N64 when there were adult games like GoldenEye, Shadow Man, Perfect Dark and Turok while the PSOne had kiddie games like Croc, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.
Each console has their fair share of adult titles and their fair share of kiddie games. The N64, and ideed the GC had/have plenty of decent titles for older gamers, but some people wish to ignore that fact.
Wed 05/03/03 at 13:37
"For the horde!!!!"
Totoro wrote:
> But you can also write from a different perspectvie here.
> I had an N64 when there were adult games like GoldenEye, Shadow Man,
> Perfect Dark and Turok while the PSOne had kiddie games like Croc,
> Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.
> Each console has their fair share of adult titles and their fair share
> of kiddie games. The N64, and ideed the GC had/have plenty of decent
> titles for older gamers, but some people wish to ignore that fact.

yes I agree. Many still label Nintendo consoles as kiddies consoles.
Wed 05/03/03 at 13:38
"Darkness, always"
Because they're ignorant mongs...
Wed 05/03/03 at 14:17
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
You're all making an assumption about the lack of sales performance of the Gamecube. I think it's probably got more to do with the large gaps between AAA titles than the nature of those games. I don't know anyone who would refuse to play Mario or Zelda because they were 'kiddy'... but I do know people who wouldn't buy a console on the strength of two games. (This is just an example, before you all go off writing lists of how many games you have on the GC).

P.S. I bought a Dreamcast just for Soul Calibur, so I'm playing devils advocate here.
Wed 05/03/03 at 14:29
Regular
"Wants Superpowers!"
I heard they just needed to put the games on other platform because they were not making enough money on them, for example EA sports game are released on every format therefore 100% market while Nitendo games are only released on the GC which only holds about 10-15% of the market while PS2 holds 60-65% and X-box about 25%. They can sell many games if they only sell on their own format.

Willyum
Wed 05/03/03 at 14:42
"Darkness, always"
And here is where I have to inject, AGAIN, that Nintendo are profitting more than any of their competitors...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.