GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More on the Nintendo situation (please re-post as you see fit)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/03/03 at 09:24
Regular
Nintendo finally admitting serious GC problems...

Seemingly, Nintendo has given up on its “all is well, honest” stance, admitting that the GameCube has some serious problems that need to be overcome, and fast.

Speaking yesterday, Nintendo of America’s George Harrison made the most candid comments to date regarding the plight Nintendo faces in an increasingly hostile three-way console race.

“The real question is, as we start ‘03, what are we going to do differently?" said Harrison, the senior vice president of marketing for Nintendo of America. "For us it’s about trying to get the GameCube business moving and restore the confidence of the licensees."

This follows practically all the industry’s key third party-publishers taking a tentative step away from GameCube support over the past few weeks.

THQ, Sega, Electronic Arts, Codemasters - the list goes on, and the problem, with snowball-like effect, will only get worse unless confidence, both at consumer and industry level, is restored. Nintendo’s problems in the UK have been compounded by rumour that key retail chains are considering reducing GameCube exposure, or removing the machine altogether, in what would undoubtedly prove a killer blow.

The upcoming Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, a hotly-anticipated game sure to be a massive hit, is expected to revive the GameCube’s sales and profile as a killer-app hosting machine. “It’s [Zelda] clearly what we need - to get the GameCube moving,” stated Harrison.
Wed 05/03/03 at 09:24
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Nintendo finally admitting serious GC problems...

Seemingly, Nintendo has given up on its “all is well, honest” stance, admitting that the GameCube has some serious problems that need to be overcome, and fast.

Speaking yesterday, Nintendo of America’s George Harrison made the most candid comments to date regarding the plight Nintendo faces in an increasingly hostile three-way console race.

“The real question is, as we start ‘03, what are we going to do differently?" said Harrison, the senior vice president of marketing for Nintendo of America. "For us it’s about trying to get the GameCube business moving and restore the confidence of the licensees."

This follows practically all the industry’s key third party-publishers taking a tentative step away from GameCube support over the past few weeks.

THQ, Sega, Electronic Arts, Codemasters - the list goes on, and the problem, with snowball-like effect, will only get worse unless confidence, both at consumer and industry level, is restored. Nintendo’s problems in the UK have been compounded by rumour that key retail chains are considering reducing GameCube exposure, or removing the machine altogether, in what would undoubtedly prove a killer blow.

The upcoming Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, a hotly-anticipated game sure to be a massive hit, is expected to revive the GameCube’s sales and profile as a killer-app hosting machine. “It’s [Zelda] clearly what we need - to get the GameCube moving,” stated Harrison.
Wed 05/03/03 at 09:51
"Darkness, always"
The only problem, as far as I can see, is the wonderful effect Sony fanboys have had on public confidence.

Owning a Nintendo is a social gaucherie of unnatural proportions because Sony owners say so.

It's actually quite sad. A lot of people are missing out die to peer pressure etc. You're only cool if you own a PS2, and you don't necessarily have to own any games for it.

Funny really. But like I say, the problem is the irreconcilable difference between reality, and the warped mind of the average, easily swayed consumer.
Wed 05/03/03 at 10:07
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Don't be ridiculous, Nintendo are not failing because of idiots posting on forums like this. They are screwing up the same way Sega screwed up. Bad marketing, plain and simple.
Wed 05/03/03 at 10:15
"Darkness, always"
I didn't mention forums. I was talking about society as a whole. Consoles have entered the "fashionable commodity" stage of product popularity.

Therefore, word of mouth, and not any level of genuine marketing, influences the fickle and flexible mind of the average mong on the street.

But if you want to go on believing that it has something to do with an advertising budget, then live on in blissful ignorance.
Wed 05/03/03 at 10:26
"For the horde!!!!"
You have to admit IB that the Gamecube dose have a kiddish style to it so many will be put off that and these days image is important just like the dress code at work.
Wed 05/03/03 at 10:54
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Marketing is responsible for word of mouth. Sony didn't get where they are in the console industry because they make good CD players.
Wed 05/03/03 at 10:56
"Darkness, always"
Shadow Knight wrote:
> You have to admit IB that the Gamecube dose have a kiddish style to it
> so many will be put off that and these days image is important just
> like the dress code at work.

I don't see how the Gamecube is any more "kiddish" than any other console. If you want to explain to me how it is, more than likely referring to Mario et al, then I can refute you with any number of infantile PS2 games.

What do I play on my Cube? Well, I don't play any kiddies games, I can say that much.

It's got a kiddies reputation because of all the people who have never played any games on one and slate it because "GTA£ is da best eva and i kil u wiv ma stik i roxor".

Repeat to fade.
Wed 05/03/03 at 10:57
"Darkness, always"
Darwock wrote:
> Marketing is responsible for word of mouth. Sony didn't get where they
> are in the console industry because they make good CD players.

So, Sony approached hundreds of thousands of kids and told them "Mario is for gay boys, here's a cookie, spread the word"?

I think not.
Wed 05/03/03 at 11:36
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
If that is general opinion then the onus was on Nintendo to respond to it and shift the focus... if they continued to push a franchise that was at odds with what consumers wanted then that is poor marketing. It's all about supply and demand.
Wed 05/03/03 at 11:44
"Darkness, always"
And what would you suggest they do about it?

Throw the values that have been the foundations of the company for decades out of the window and throw unintellectual pap out to the youthful masses so that they can shoot up digital shopping malls between head-banging sessions and cigarette breaks?

I can see you're a visionary.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.