GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Looking forward to playing online?? not if you have AOL"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/03/03 at 13:39
Regular
Looking forward to playing online?? not if you have AOL, yes neither xbox live or the gamecube modem adapters are compatible with the worlds no1 (apparently) ISP. AOL do not let other software access their internet connections, and so if you have AOL you cant use it to go online.
also the guy i spoke to at the tech centre informed me, off the record, that they wont allow it because the size of AOL, means that the ping rate is really high and so gaming would be too slow, becuae of this even if you have broadband they wont let the console modems connect to their service.

so do i get rid of AOL, which i think is great for regular internet stuff, just so i can play online????
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:39
Regular
"aliens exist"
Looking forward to playing online?? not if you have AOL, yes neither xbox live or the gamecube modem adapters are compatible with the worlds no1 (apparently) ISP. AOL do not let other software access their internet connections, and so if you have AOL you cant use it to go online.
also the guy i spoke to at the tech centre informed me, off the record, that they wont allow it because the size of AOL, means that the ping rate is really high and so gaming would be too slow, becuae of this even if you have broadband they wont let the console modems connect to their service.

so do i get rid of AOL, which i think is great for regular internet stuff, just so i can play online????
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:42
Regular
AOL are crap. There are so many restrictions on AOL users, I don't know why anyone uses them.
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:47
Regular
"I ush!"
Whitestripes wrote:
> AOL are crap. There are so many restrictions on AOL users, I don't
> know why anyone uses them.

Because its easy for the less technically minded and the technophobes etc.
I recommended them to my mum because it means that I have to sort out less trivial problems for her.
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:50
Regular
There's nothing technical about BT or Freeserve or anyone else.
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:55
Regular
I've got AOL but I'm moving house soon and intend on getting a new ISP.

AOL's utter sh*t, it's slow and it always cuts off.
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:58
Regular
"I ush!"
Whitestripes wrote:
> There's nothing technical about BT or Freeserve or anyone else.

I know that, you know that.

She doesn't, she finds AOLs interfaces easy to understand and she can ring the lovely Irish young men up if she has any problems.
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:58
Regular
"gsybe you!"
AOL are rubbish. The limit you to their internet, which is pants anyway, and that broadband ad really annoyes me. 'Where else can you get all this?'

Er, try some other not so annoying ISP, and then the Internet. Mongs.

I have Freeserve Anytime on this connection, but my dad has AOL, and thats where the GC is. Damn it.
Sat 08/03/03 at 13:59
Regular
"gsybe you!"
All i do for Freeserve is double click on the IE icon.

Done.
Sat 08/03/03 at 16:36
Regular
"aliens exist"
apart from this AOL are great, its so easy to use, cheap, reliable and theres no limit on your useage like with BT, the key words and tobar which loads up are great, but its just the way they dont let other doftware use thier conenction which annoys me, just means i probably wont be using the cube online now/
Sat 08/03/03 at 16:46
Regular
"bit of a brain"
My AOL is faster than my freeserve connection, and faster than the ntl: connection people on my road have.
It's reliable and never cuts me off.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.