GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Looking forward to playing online?? not if you have AOL"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/03/03 at 13:39
Regular
Looking forward to playing online?? not if you have AOL, yes neither xbox live or the gamecube modem adapters are compatible with the worlds no1 (apparently) ISP. AOL do not let other software access their internet connections, and so if you have AOL you cant use it to go online.
also the guy i spoke to at the tech centre informed me, off the record, that they wont allow it because the size of AOL, means that the ping rate is really high and so gaming would be too slow, becuae of this even if you have broadband they wont let the console modems connect to their service.

so do i get rid of AOL, which i think is great for regular internet stuff, just so i can play online????
Sun 09/03/03 at 13:20
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
this is strange, i was going to ask today about if I can use my gamecube with aol, and now i know! yippee, i dont get to play online!........(crap!)

From what I've seen my modem wont even be able to plug into the broadband adapter, cos its a usb, is this right?

oh well, this just further strengthens my belief that aol hates me!(and I guess also the other people on aol who want to go online with gc and xbox!)
Sun 09/03/03 at 11:33
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
I have NTL Broadband *kisses green box* i've never been happier...
Sat 08/03/03 at 21:20
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
AOL is kind of known for being so simple anyone could use it. Which is useful for less technological people, such as the older generation, who wouldn't want to set up online gaming anyway (well, most wouldn't).

Probably why on nearly all newsgroups I've been on, AOL users are discriminated against, on the grounds of being amazingly stupid.

The idea seems to work though. They're popular enough.
Sat 08/03/03 at 20:15
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Yeah, AOL has filtering crap, and everything eww.
Sat 08/03/03 at 19:44
Regular
It so simple why its so good, we are still in an age when computer are new to older generations, they see the ad on tv they think WOW thats so simple.

It isnt because the others are harder, its just i havent seen any ads showing ppl on BT or free serve how easy it is.

im on bt broadband now and im ok with it, its kinda like windows OS's i dont see the diffrence, as long as i can do what i want, school work games internet im happy.
Sat 08/03/03 at 19:33
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
It seems we have the same version, i am thick, i admit it.
Sat 08/03/03 at 19:24
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
J-42 wrote:
> No, it's just annoying, you've got to go to loads of links to get to
> your favourites, well, at least on my version.

What version have you got? i use 7, and for my favourites i just click on the favourite places tab.
Sat 08/03/03 at 19:18
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
cookie monster wrote:
> J-42 wrote:
> AOL suck, i've had them for about a year, and it's so annoying, and
> complex.
>
> AOL, complex? Are you 5 years old?
>
> :D
6 on Tuesday.
No, it's just annoying, you've got to go to loads of links to get to your favourites, well, at least on my version.
Sat 08/03/03 at 19:14
Regular
*MJ strokes his Blueyonder Cable*

Oh well, serves them right for using the devils child as an ISP
Sat 08/03/03 at 18:45
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
J-42 wrote:
> AOL suck, i've had them for about a year, and it's so annoying, and
> complex.

AOL, complex? Are you 5 years old?

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.