GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I got Substance"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance'.
Sat 08/03/03 at 14:26
Regular
And it is very very good.

I've played the game solidly(:P) since last night and the majority of the time was spent on the 350+ VR missions, which are more enjoyable than the main game, not to mention challanging.

I havn't even had time to do the Alternate missions or Snakes tales yet. This game is value for money.

Buy it.
Sun 09/03/03 at 11:45
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> And it does seam the PS2 version is better(for once), no slowdown,
> although I have stressed there is barely any of it.

And it's cheaper, with better controls/controller - plus you get a Skateboarding mini game.
Sun 09/03/03 at 20:25
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Mav wrote:
> And it's cheaper, with better controls/controller - plus you get a Skateboarding mini game.

Cheaper? No, I paid 39.99.

Better controle? Not in my opinion, and ive played the game, you havn't.

Skateboarding? Not sure, there are alot of unlockable stuff in the Xbox version, skateboarding might be one.

Oh, anyone who has the game and is playing VR missions, tell your highest scores here if you're proud of em, or upload the code you are given to

http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs2_sub /missions/stage_list.php?pl=0&plat=1®=2&lang=0 (Remove space)

A few have appeared already, and its only been out 2 days.
Sun 09/03/03 at 21:20
Regular
How does the Sons of Libity game compare to the original on the PS2? Are the graphics any sharper? Has anyone played the game in 5.1? If so please would you comment on how good it is? Thanks!
Sun 09/03/03 at 21:44
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Mantis wrote:
> Cheaper? No, I paid 39.99.

PS2 games are cheaper than any other. Where it would cost you £39.99 on Xbox, it would be £29.99 on PS2.

> Better controle? Not in my opinion, and ive played the game, you
> havn't.

I have Sons Of Liberty, so that's a fair comparison and I just don't like the Xbox controller in general - too logical and uninspired for me. Poorly designed.

> Skateboarding? Not sure, there are alot of unlockable stuff in the
> Xbox version, skateboarding might be one.

All Xbox features are in the PS2 one, plus PS2 gets exclusives skateboarding from Konami's 'Evolution Skateboarding'.
Sun 09/03/03 at 21:47
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> How does the Sons of Libity game compare to the original on the PS2?
> Are the graphics any sharper? Has anyone played the game in 5.1? If so
> please would you comment on how good it is? Thanks!

Since the early rain effects were coded for PS2, the Xbox version slows down whenever these are used. Aside from that however, the graphics are exactly the same. 5.1, though nice, makes no noticeable difference, apparently.
Sun 09/03/03 at 21:53
Regular
Cheers J-42! I find it hard to believe that 5.1 won't make a difference as even the digital quality makes a huge difference to a game. With the excellent music and gun fights I have been told that the Dolby Digital 5.1 is nothing short of amazing. I will have to wait and see for myself as I have completed the PS2 version 3 times so I know what to expect.
Sun 09/03/03 at 21:59
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
I've no experience from playing the game - just from what I've read. The people who wrote it seemed to think the 5.1 option wasn't much to shout about it the game, seeing as it had fantastic sound regardless.

Rather redundant apparently. Anyway, who knows, decide for yourself :D.
Mon 10/03/03 at 10:00
Regular
"Less chat...More ha"
Having never played MGS in my life...how does it compare to splinter cell, and is it worth getting, if i already own the before mentioned SC?Ps Indiana Jones loks pretty good dont you think?
Mon 10/03/03 at 17:16
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Cheers J-42! I find it hard to believe that 5.1 won't make a
> difference

Ah, but you forget. J-42 is a annoying little chimp, who writes this sort of rubbish:

http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php? (SPACE) threadid=63881&forumid=130
Mon 10/03/03 at 18:46
Regular
"Unretired"
therage79 wrote:
> Having never played MGS in my life...how does it compare to splinter
> cell, and is it worth getting

Think of splinter cell in a more unbeilivable world, make that less complicated and add an annoying codec that interupts you constantly and you have MGS2. good game though.

And I have encountered tonnes of slowdowns on the game, quite a few times in the rain on the tanker chapter, and I got a lot of slowdown when you fight the harrier on the plant chapter.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.