GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo's future. Bleak?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/12/01 at 22:19
Regular
For the first time in years, there are more than two serious consoles hitting the market. Even more amazingly, two of these consoles are launching head-to-head, and the other is extremely well established... both with brand name and games.

So, not only has Nintendo got to compete with Sony (again!), but this time Microsoft have joined the scene. Add to that, the PS2 has had two Christmases worth of sales, and a huge repetoire of games, and the Xbox has a huge marketting budget (and a strong launch to go).

Clearly, Nintendo cannot compete with Microsoft on the TV screens- they simply don't ahve the money for that.

Oh no... Ninty have a far greater weapon at their disposly- games. And lots of them. With characters and franchises ranging from Mario and Zelda to Metroid and Kirby you wouldn't be suprised if Nintendo launched the Gamecube with the best line up of AAA titles seen...

In fact, I thought Nintendo had gone one better when they announced, a while back, that they had given the rights to many of their games away. Metroid, Smash Brothers and Starfox, amongst others, were to have sequals made by developers outside Nintendo. This would then enable Nintendo to concentrate on making some of the most spectacular games ever. Maybe a new Zelda for launch? Maybe something totally new!

But alas, things seem to be crumbling. First we hear news of Ninty's in house games. It turns out that Mario and Zelda will be absent from launch, to be replaced by a couple of weaker games. Ok, so the in house games are good fun, no doubt, BUT will these attract gamers to buy the Gamcube. Methinks not.

Nor will the news of a new Zelda wet gamers appetites- 90% of gamers are the casual sort who will buy a console on brandname alone, and don't read multiformat mags. How are Nintendo going to get these gamers to part with their PS2s, and buy a console that looks like a kids toy? (Sorry, but the console doesn't look "serious".)

OH! And things get worse!...

Those franchised games Ninty have given out aren't all they were promised to be.

At Spaceworld, there was a big absence of Metroid clips- only 8 seconds of the game were shown. Asked why this was, Mr. Miyamoto had to admit that he'd only got the code for the game just before the show, and he wasn't impressed by what he saw. The game had bad pop-up, no sound, was not interactive, and certainly wasn't worth the months of work that had been spent on it. (I believe the game was 8 months into developent at this time!). In fact, the whole future of the game looked on a knife edge.

The other games Ninty had handed out were all good, but many were so far from ready that you wonder why Nintendo didn't just make one of these games themselves to get it out at launch.

Before Nintendo fans throw a riot, let me just saya few things:

1) I am only talking about launch titles
2) I'm a huge Miyamoto fan and will be buying a GC myself
3) This topic is MEANT to cause discussion.

Oh, and remember, all the titles that miss release will come out eventually. So those Zeldas and Marios will certainly mean the console is a great piece of kit. That;s not what I'm arguing about.

I just want to know where all of Ninty's time has gone? They've given away many of their big games, has ages to make a killer titles, and instead they come out with Pikmin... fun, but not AAA by any means.

Sonic
Mon 24/12/01 at 22:19
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
For the first time in years, there are more than two serious consoles hitting the market. Even more amazingly, two of these consoles are launching head-to-head, and the other is extremely well established... both with brand name and games.

So, not only has Nintendo got to compete with Sony (again!), but this time Microsoft have joined the scene. Add to that, the PS2 has had two Christmases worth of sales, and a huge repetoire of games, and the Xbox has a huge marketting budget (and a strong launch to go).

Clearly, Nintendo cannot compete with Microsoft on the TV screens- they simply don't ahve the money for that.

Oh no... Ninty have a far greater weapon at their disposly- games. And lots of them. With characters and franchises ranging from Mario and Zelda to Metroid and Kirby you wouldn't be suprised if Nintendo launched the Gamecube with the best line up of AAA titles seen...

In fact, I thought Nintendo had gone one better when they announced, a while back, that they had given the rights to many of their games away. Metroid, Smash Brothers and Starfox, amongst others, were to have sequals made by developers outside Nintendo. This would then enable Nintendo to concentrate on making some of the most spectacular games ever. Maybe a new Zelda for launch? Maybe something totally new!

But alas, things seem to be crumbling. First we hear news of Ninty's in house games. It turns out that Mario and Zelda will be absent from launch, to be replaced by a couple of weaker games. Ok, so the in house games are good fun, no doubt, BUT will these attract gamers to buy the Gamcube. Methinks not.

Nor will the news of a new Zelda wet gamers appetites- 90% of gamers are the casual sort who will buy a console on brandname alone, and don't read multiformat mags. How are Nintendo going to get these gamers to part with their PS2s, and buy a console that looks like a kids toy? (Sorry, but the console doesn't look "serious".)

OH! And things get worse!...

Those franchised games Ninty have given out aren't all they were promised to be.

At Spaceworld, there was a big absence of Metroid clips- only 8 seconds of the game were shown. Asked why this was, Mr. Miyamoto had to admit that he'd only got the code for the game just before the show, and he wasn't impressed by what he saw. The game had bad pop-up, no sound, was not interactive, and certainly wasn't worth the months of work that had been spent on it. (I believe the game was 8 months into developent at this time!). In fact, the whole future of the game looked on a knife edge.

The other games Ninty had handed out were all good, but many were so far from ready that you wonder why Nintendo didn't just make one of these games themselves to get it out at launch.

Before Nintendo fans throw a riot, let me just saya few things:

1) I am only talking about launch titles
2) I'm a huge Miyamoto fan and will be buying a GC myself
3) This topic is MEANT to cause discussion.

Oh, and remember, all the titles that miss release will come out eventually. So those Zeldas and Marios will certainly mean the console is a great piece of kit. That;s not what I'm arguing about.

I just want to know where all of Ninty's time has gone? They've given away many of their big games, has ages to make a killer titles, and instead they come out with Pikmin... fun, but not AAA by any means.

Sonic
Mon 24/12/01 at 22:36
Regular
I agree Ninty's Launch line up is pritty weak. But it still sold well in the US. But i doubt it will sell in the same way down here. The release date is a major flaw, we still havnt got an official date. Many people may just decide to sod it, go for the PS2 this christmas. PS2 will be miles ahead by the time Gamecube comes out.

GBA is still there main money maker. As long as Sony dont enter that market then Nintendo will always be in the console game.

I think Nintendo will always release a console in Japan and the US, as they are always succesful. But will they carry on selling them in Europe? N64 had a very average appeal accross europe, and sales were dwarfed by the playstation. Would another average performance by Gamecube in Europe see the end of us seeing Nintendo consoles In europe? Maybe not, but its a thought....
Mon 24/12/01 at 22:48
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Ah, but Nintendo do have Rogue Leader.
Although us 'hardcore' gamers will know Halo is getting better reviews, do the casual gamers know that? They are more likely to want Rogue Leader, because it is instantly recognizable as Star Wars, and Halo is 'just' a game, not a franchise.

But Nintendo may not have had the strongest launch, but Shigsy has said that Ninty are working on many projects that we don't yet know of. So maybe Ninty haven't been wasting time, but still I agree they should have got at least one AAA Ninty title out for launch. Hopefully Zelda, Mario, and some of the secret titles will break the 'Short and Sweet' Nintendo policy we are now seeing.
Tue 25/12/01 at 09:49
I agree with ===SONICRAV---> I don't see Nintendo keeping up with the PS2 or the Xbox but we all know how Nitendo is. They will still be around but won't end up as a big time console, I don't care if they do have Rogue Leader and the RE series isn't going to help them much.
Tue 25/12/01 at 21:03
Regular
"not dead"
Discussion on the forums? What is it, Christmas or something?

ANyway, I can see Nintendo making more profit with the Gamecube than they did with the N64. There will be more games that casual gamers will want, and it won't be priced so highly as to not be bought on a whim by those with plenty of disposable income.

Nintendo have finally got the concept that marketing can sell the console better than specifications, fancy graphics, and intriguing titles. Look at the way that the GBA was promoted in this country. Plenty of cinema ads, a few on the TV, and since it's launch I've seen a number od games advertised on the TV too. This is pretty impressive for Nintendo, especially considering that it was so soon after opening Nintendo UK. They still don't have a decent UK website, but surely it will be on it's way in time for the Gamecube launch.

I've seen some of the ads that went out for launch in the USA. One of them in particular stood out for being quite similar in style to the types of ads that helped make the Playstation so popular. Nintendo certainly seem to be making the right moves in this department.

Also, Nintendo will continue to be successful, because they have such a firm grip on two huge markets. Kids and handhelds. I bought a Gameboy Advance mainly because I found the concept of it linking with Gamecube games to be fascinating, and different. How many of those millions that have already bought a GBA will buy a Gamecube, because they already have a GBA? Considering that the real power of this link is likely to be displayed with a Pokémon game, it could be very popular indeed.

Drawing comparisons between Sega and Nintendo doesn't make sense. I know you didn't do that as such, but many seem to think that Sega went down the pan, and Nintedno will be next to follow. The companies have had such different philosophies over the years though, that they won't share the same fate.

What annoyed me about Sega is that they didn't do enough sequels. Alex Kidd died after the Sega Master System. There was one Megadrive game, but it was naff. Shinobi could have continued, and I would have loved it, but no. Only Sonic has really remained constant throughout Sega's last 3 consoles, all of the other stars that could have shipped units for Sega were too rarely seen.

When it comes to Nintendo's launch games they may not be that strong, but neither are Microsoft's. Nintendo have some of the bigger developers signed up for games this time, and have many of the popular multiformat titles appearing on their systems. Extreme Sports games are on every system, so having them is no bonus, but not having these games would be a disaster.

What they're really competing against is the existing PS2 titles, some of which are of an extremely high standard. They (Nintendo and Microsoft) don't have this honeymoon period that Sony have enjoyed for so long. If they don't get a number of AAA titles on the shelves within the first year then surely they will have fallen to far behind to make any real impact with consumers.

Nobody expects launch games to be the best a system sees, so this time next year we'll see which of the main consoles will have made the biggest impact, and whether the future is looking bleak for any of them.
Tue 25/12/01 at 22:25
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I've gotta disagree when you say that MS doesn't hasn't got a strong line up- I think it's the best console launch line up ever! After all, it has excellent AAA fighting, driving and action games... better than eny other launch line up I've seen.

Oh, and one more thing Meka says that he sees Ninty making more money on the GC than the N64... I have to disagree...

NOT because the GC will have worse sales, but simply because Ninty got a huge profit by printing N64 games onto cart... something they can't do with the GC! (The fact that Ninty charged such high amounts for publishing N64 games dettered a lot of developers!)

Finally, I have to agree with you, Meka, about making comparisons with Sega. Nintendo won't go out of business any time soon- they are currently the worlds biggest games publishers, the GBA has no competition, and the GC will make enough sales to ensure a long life.

Sonic
Wed 26/12/01 at 12:08
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
errr... already reploed once, but the Xboxs great racer? What is that? Anyway, on launch in the UK GC will have Super Smash Bros (fighter) it has Rogue Leader (action/shooter and it'll sell. C'mon it's Star Wars!), It'll have Tony Hawks 3 (get the casual gamers interested) it has Wave Race (will be a very popular sequel with N64 fans) and it is the only console out there with a DECENT RTS game... Pikmin! Yes, it is short and supposedly easy, but at least GC has shown that these games CAN work on consoles! And Luigi's Mansion will help shift it with Mario fans, and the GBA will shift units...

The only great Xbox title in MY opinion is Halo, which will be out on PC sometime anyway, so why buy a Ł300 console for a game you'll be able to play on PC a few months later. It'd be like buying a PS2 JUST for GTA3 which is coming to the PC soon anyway.
Wed 26/12/01 at 18:01
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> I've gotta disagree when you say that MS doesn't hasn't got a strong line up- I
> think it's the best console launch line up ever! After all, it has excellent AAA
> fighting, driving and action games... better than eny other launch line up I've
> seen.

Halo was wicked DoA3 was dissapointing as was Project Gotham i've been keeping up to date with teh X-box.

Oh, and one more thing Meka says that he sees Ninty making more money
> on the GC than the N64... I have to disagree...

NOT because the GC will have
> worse sales, but simply because Ninty got a huge profit by printing N64 games
> onto cart... something they can't do with the GC! (The fact that Ninty charged
> such high amounts for publishing N64 games dettered a lot of
> developers!)

Wrong, Carts are more expensive to make which is why they charged more, they would of charged less if they could. As for the new format the same applys it is Nintendo's own optical disc just a lot cheaper. As for developers thats the point Nintendo have tonnes more, the Gamecube is cheaper, the games will be cheaper, the game catalogue will be 10 time bigger than the N64 probably even bigger than the PS1 with most major third parties signing with Nintendo.

Finally, I have to agree with you, Meka, about making
> comparisons with Sega. Nintendo won't go out of business any time soon- they are
> currently the worlds biggest games publishers, the GBA has no competition, and
> the GC will make enough sales to ensure a long life.

Exactly so why do we care, why do Nintendo care, saying the PS2 outsells the Gamecube is pointless. the Game industry during the SNES era was small compared to today very small. the SNES was the biggest ever then came the PS1 and the game industry got bigger and bigger yes more people bought the PS1 but because of this increase in public interest, the N64 sold more than the SNES as the industry was larger! There was more people to buy Nintendo's goods when the industry grew, this means Nintendo made more money because of Sony not less!
Wed 26/12/01 at 19:18
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Dringo wrote:
"Halo was wicked DoA3 was dissapointing as was Project Gotham i've been keeping up to date with teh X-box"

Ummmm...Project Gotham got brilliant reviews, saying it was an excellent sequal to MSR, and that it was easily amble to comete with GT3... as for DOA3, the game is said to be great, although I haven't seen any full reviews yet.

"Wrong, Carts are more expensive to make which is why they charged more, they would of charged less if they could. As for the new format the same applys it is Nintendo's own optical disc just a lot cheaper."

On the contrary! Carts ARE more expansive, as you say, however, Nintendo charged HUGE premiums for having the pleasure of getting games on a Ninty branded console. The reason being Ninty assummed that the N64 would be a huge success, and that people would flock to them. The company even said that only Ninty's own games would be sold on the console at first, with more coming out later... how arrogant is that for you!

The overpricing of carts was certainly one things that deterred developers.

As for "the same applying to Optical discs", this is just not true. The Sega Dreamcast had its own format, that Sega created- The "GD"- which was very cheap to print. Likewise, the optical discs will also be cheap to make, especially seeing as they are created by Panasonic who want to make them a mass maedi format storage.

"As for developers thats the point Nintendo have tonnes more, the Gamecube is cheaper, the games will be cheaper, the game catalogue will be 10 time bigger than the N64 probably even bigger than the PS1 with most major third parties signing with Nintendo."

Errrr.... a MAJORITY signed to Ninty... simply not true at all! Most are going with the PS2 simply because it already has a huge userbase, and looks likely to continue enlarging this all the time... thus this is the most safe market. Where on Earth did you hear this???!??!?

"Exactly so why do we care, why do Nintendo care, saying the PS2 outsells the Gamecube is pointless. the Game industry during the SNES era was small compared to today very small. the SNES was the biggest ever then came the PS1 and the game industry got bigger and bigger yes more people bought the PS1 but because of this increase in public interest, the N64 sold more than the SNES as the industry was larger! There was more people to buy Nintendo's goods when the industry grew, this means Nintendo made more money because of Sony not less!"

AH! But companies need more money to stay om the business these days too! Sega got 10 million DCs sold, and even they couldn't keep safe- even though the number is larger than the combined worldwide sales of every other Sega console! (Well, that's a guess.... but it's probably right?)

And anyway, more gamers on your console means more customers, means more third parties, means a bigger range of games! How can that be a bad thing???

Sonic
Wed 26/12/01 at 22:19
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
"Halo was wicked DoA3 was dissapointing as was Project
> Gotham i've been keeping up to date with teh X-box"

Ummmm...Project
> Gotham got brilliant reviews, saying it was an excellent sequal to MSR, and that
> it was easily amble to comete with GT3... as for DOA3, the game is said to be
> great, although I haven't seen any full reviews yet.

Project gotham didn't really sell though and go to Gamespot to see DoA3 as a runner up for the most dissapointing game of the year.

On the contrary! Carts ARE more
> expansive, as you say, however, Nintendo charged HUGE premiums for having the
> pleasure of getting games on a Ninty branded console. The reason being Ninty
> assummed that the N64 would be a huge success, and that people would flock to
> them. The company even said that only Ninty's own games would be sold on the
> console at first, with more coming out later... how arrogant is that for
> you!

It was the attractivity of the Playstation if it wasn't around then Nintendo would of been damn right. At least they've got it sorted now and optical discs are mini DVD's only used for the Gamecube's format. Therefore harder to copy.

"As for developers thats
> the point Nintendo have tonnes more, the Gamecube is cheaper, the games will be
> cheaper, the game catalogue will be 10 time bigger than the N64 probably even
> bigger than the PS1 with most major third parties signing with
> Nintendo."

Errrr.... a MAJORITY signed to Ninty... simply not true at
> all! Most are going with the PS2 simply because it already has a huge userbase,
> and looks likely to continue enlarging this all the time... thus this is the
> most safe market. Where on Earth did you hear this???!??!?

I am referring to Gamecube and they are 3rd party so im meaning both systems, Namco took ages to do anything on the N64 releasing 2 games only one being of any quality, on the gamecube they have 8 planned including Kolano 2, Soul Calibur2 and Rideg Racer 5. Capcom have Mickey Mouse and Resident Evil Gamecube exclusive with many others still announced, infogrammes have 20 titles in the works, THq have also 20 titles in the works, Acclaim have 15, Sega have 22, EA have 12, They are the major third party support and theya re much much much much much much much more than the N64 had Gamecube looks to have around 60+ third party titles by the end of next year and the N64 had 1.

I never said majority i said tonnes more more developers for nintendo not more compared with Sony.

"Exactly so
> why do we care, why do Nintendo care, saying the PS2 outsells the Gamecube is
> pointless. the Game industry during the SNES era was small compared to today
> very small. the SNES was the biggest ever then came the PS1 and the game
> industry got bigger and bigger yes more people bought the PS1 but because of
> this increase in public interest, the N64 sold more than the SNES as the
> industry was larger! There was more people to buy Nintendo's goods when the
> industry grew, this means Nintendo made more money because of Sony not
> less!"

AH! But companies need more money to stay om the business these
> days too! Sega got 10 million DCs sold, and even they couldn't keep safe- even
> though the number is larger than the combined worldwide sales of every other
> Sega console! (Well, that's a guess.... but it's probably right?)

And anyway,
> more gamers on your console means more customers, means more third parties,
> means a bigger range of games! How can that be a bad thing???

Nintendo have the major third parties there is only one third party i want to develop for Gamecube who don't and thats Squaresoft and they are now Sony shared owned. The major parties are gamecube round the rest are not worth having and Nintendo are offering money to younger developers we are getting them and as for Nintendo themselves there is about 30 being worked on by shigsy alone and then there is Retro studios, left field, Rare, Silicon Knights,HAL, Camelot etc... all mega second parties.

Dronic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.