GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Erm. Trouble. With h/d's and stuff. Help please..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/12/01 at 21:21
Regular
This can only be probably sorted out by tech heads but if you know how could you please help.

Well the problem is. That I had to re-install windows. (98) Because everything had gone corrupt. So. I re-installed it. Using the floppy and after a lot of trouble I finally got it working.

But the problem now is that my Hard Disk has split into 2. C: and the host for C: which is H:.

Fine. But, I only have 4GB. So they are both around 2GB each. I really want them to go back to being one drive C: like it was before the install.

I distinctly remember an option saying something about if I wanted my h/d to split or not and I chose no. But it still split.

What the question is, can I put the drives back into being 1 without re-installing windows?

Any Help could you please post it in here.

It will be greatly appreciated

GasMask
Fri 28/12/01 at 19:53
Regular
"YTS Primate"
colbakes post
"or buy a new larger hard drive and get win xp"

Turbonutter reply
"Do you honestly think he can run WinXP on 4 gigs?"

Do colbakes the service of reading his posts before you reply.
Fri 28/12/01 at 20:49
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Hmm cheers lads. 2 h/d's is actually pretty cool. But damn Annoying sometimes. Meh, cheers anyway.

*Damn Computers ARGH!*

*Proceeds to mash up every electrical device that has Windows or Microsoft smell on it*

*Looks around*

*Find nothing*

*Walks away with an "I didn't do it" expression on his face*

;-)
Fri 28/12/01 at 22:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
But if GasMask had the money (which I know he doesn't) he wouldn't be asking us.
Fri 28/12/01 at 23:37
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Gasmask - I'm confused by your original message. If you've got a C drive and a "Host for C" at drive H, then it implies that you're using drive compression, and in that cae, drive H, as far as I understand things, isnt really available to you - its just where Windows keeps track of reality (ha! as if it ever did ...).

What's more, if you've got a 4Gb disk with compression on, then you should have far more than 4Gb available, but all in drive C.

Now I never tried using compression myself, but isnt it possible to adjust the settings through the Windows Start/Programs menu option for drive compression?
Fri 28/12/01 at 23:39
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
And yes, Fox, I know that "case" has an "s" in it ...
Sat 29/12/01 at 01:10
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I can only suggest re-installing windows and partitioning it properly. Partition magic *may* work, but a re-install would probably be better anyway.
Sat 29/12/01 at 21:58
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
More I look at this, the more its a drive compression thing.

See http://www.computersandinternet.com/july00-7.htm

The drive H you've got is the give away. If it was just a partitioning thing, then a second partition (on a single hard disk system) would be drive D. Your CD would then be drive E, by the way.

I assume therefore that the drive was recognised as compressed when you reinstalled Windows, and you're kinda back where you started.

It sounds like your actual hard disk might only be about 2.5Gb. So I'm of the view that you should seriously look at buying a larger disk (they're easy to fit and pretty cheap). Or you could start from scratch with your existing drive, use Fdisk to set it up, and then format it, and then reload Windows and everything else too.
Sun 30/12/01 at 16:13
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I better not mess around with this. I am, not to good as this sort of thing. I know my in's and out's but no Hardware. No way. I really want a bigger hd. I know they are cheap, but as TBN said I don't anywhere near that sort of cash.

And no, my parents would not buy me a bigger hd.

"If it works, don't mend it"

Sound advise. My comp is working (Just) so I won't mend it. Anyway, I have an older brother in the HardWare buisness. Maybe I should ask him if he could get me a bigger hard drive.
Sun 30/12/01 at 19:18
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Cheap?

You're looking at £30+
Tue 01/01/02 at 16:50
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Yes, I'm sad enough to want to know more about compression, so I've tried it. On the original HD that was in my PC when I bought it (cough) years ago, all of 340Mb.

So GasMask, what's happened on your machine is that your "real" drive C has been renamed as H. If you look at that drive, you'll see that it contains probably just one file called "drvspace.000". That file is what Win98 now uses as your drive C, and its got all your drive C files compressed inside it. H is therefore the "host" - i.e. its where the compressed version of drive C lives. Just don't delete that "drvspace" file .. !

If you open My Computer, then right click on drive C and click Properties, there'll be a "Compression" tab you can use to show the way the data has been squidged. The "Advanced" button takes you to a page where you can hide the host drive H, so you can't mess with it, and then it will look like you've only got drive C. Also you can choose to run DriveSpace if you really want to uncompress drive C, but you'd end up with a lot less space.

The main problems with compressed drives are that reading and writing will be a bit slower, and I've read that some people think that compressed data might be corrupted as its squished and unsquished. But then, it does save the £££.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.