GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
" What price do you put on joy?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/12/01 at 20:51
Regular
Video games. Funny things ain't they. They are played all across the globe and bring joy to men, women and children of all ages, beliefs and social standings. But what price can you put on this joy. £10. £50. £100!!! After all, you're only getting a small disk/catridge for your dosh aren't you. People often moan at the high prices of the latest releases. But do we really pay to much for our games? In my opinion, no, not at all. £50 may seem a little costly but think about it. How long has it taken to develop that game, to create that game. The effort put in by Programmers, Artists and god knows who else is unprecedented. Even simple, or just plain crap games can take months to complete. I'm thinking on my feet when writing this topic so I'm not sure where I want to take it. All I know is, this idea could have a lot of potential, so please, expand on this framework.
Mon 24/12/01 at 03:42
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
it's not the game prices that get to me. i mean #40 is probably the max i'd pay for a game but what really grabs me by the nipples is the cost of joypads, memory cards ect.

i mean i can remember when you could get a joystick for the amiga for a tenner. and even snes pads where about 15 quid. which wasn't to bad as there wasn't a need for memory cards.

now sony want's to charge us 27 quid for a memory card (25 at SR) and nintendo where bad about making a memory card for the N64 when it could of just been saved to the cartrage the money grabbing.....

anyone else annoyed about the price of the mem card?

Oh and there are no pound signs as my comp won't let me change my keyboard language to british so i can't find the pound sign and it took me ages to find the @ sign (it's on the number one button)
Mon 24/12/01 at 00:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Games are overpriced.

I know someone will say that "games can cost millions to develop, so it's worth it," but to those people, I give just one counter argument:

A majority of the profir made from games goes to the retailer. Out of the reamining profit, most goes to the publisher. The developer keeps the rest...

So, the people who actually make the game get nothing anyway! If you could cut the profit the retailers made by games (say by removing lockouts: see "99% coluion to piracy" topic in PRIME), then games would be cheaper, and no one would lose out!

Sonic
Sun 23/12/01 at 23:01
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
When I first got my N64, I bought an Official Mem. Card for £15. My mate looked at it and said "it's a bit small". Some people! He didn't realise I'd bought it to do a job, not sit there and look big.
Sun 23/12/01 at 22:25
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
I would say that games are overpriced but before you slam your fists down in anger, please here me out, as there are, believe it or not, two sides to the story, so to speak.

I think that games used to be more overpriced than they are now, with N64 games at £60-70! Nintendo have improved slightly, but not much, with games at £50, where you can get a better game on the PS2 or PC for over £20 cheaper.

PC games are more sensible in price, normally priced at £29.99, but £34.99 at the most. £29.99 is really the most I'm ever willing to shell out for a game, and even then I'm still very apprehensive. Call me a cheap-skate, but I don't get cash as easily as I expect you lot do.

PS2 games are £39.99, which is starting to push it a bit and games that are £44.99 are a rip-off, however good the game is.

Dreamcast games are basically the same as PC games, priced at £29.99, but Dreamcast games are guaranteed to not go any higher than that.

I appreciate that developers need their cut, but there are many like me who think that £39.99 per game is a rip-off.
Sun 23/12/01 at 22:07
Regular
Price on joy? Bout 50 quid, but she doesn't do Sunday's, so no joy for me today.
Sun 23/12/01 at 22:05
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
It probably cost these programmers millions to develop a good game, so they have to charge this much to get their money back.

Some people say that paying £40 pounds for a piece of plastic (CD or Cartridge) is too much, but I couldn't dissagree more. You're not paying for the actual item, its whats on it that you're paying for.
Sun 23/12/01 at 21:56
I'll have to agree I think that the companies work hard to give use quality games and I think that they charge us fair.
Sun 23/12/01 at 21:55
"Uzi Lover"
I hate it when people don't use paragraphs........
Sun 23/12/01 at 21:49
Regular
I hate it when my mum says were having 'company'
Sun 23/12/01 at 21:10
Regular
"the burning sky"
Its cos its Christmas. I ave just had 'company' and I was wishing they would go, it was so boring. As written in my other topic, I am excitedly awaiting opening my two new GBA games, Warioland 4 and Golden Sun.

uksgamer2002 wrote:
> Is it normally this quiet on a Sunday? Or is it 'cos it's Christmas?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.