GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
" What price do you put on joy?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/12/01 at 20:51
Regular
Video games. Funny things ain't they. They are played all across the globe and bring joy to men, women and children of all ages, beliefs and social standings. But what price can you put on this joy. £10. £50. £100!!! After all, you're only getting a small disk/catridge for your dosh aren't you. People often moan at the high prices of the latest releases. But do we really pay to much for our games? In my opinion, no, not at all. £50 may seem a little costly but think about it. How long has it taken to develop that game, to create that game. The effort put in by Programmers, Artists and god knows who else is unprecedented. Even simple, or just plain crap games can take months to complete. I'm thinking on my feet when writing this topic so I'm not sure where I want to take it. All I know is, this idea could have a lot of potential, so please, expand on this framework.
Mon 24/12/01 at 20:30
Regular
uksgamer2002 wrote:
blah blah blah expand on this framework.

you are boring and quit it with starting a new thread every god damn second
Mon 24/12/01 at 19:41
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
½pint wrote:
> The_Vottanator wrote:
> Well I paid 70 quid for the original Turok on the
> N64.

How's that?

Why, why oh why. What a crap game.

Ahem. "You are on thin ice my pedigree chum and I will be under it when it breaks!"

Turok is not crap!!

Dated now, yes. But still better than every other Turok game.

Plus, it was 6 years ago now. At the time it was absolutely amazing.
Mon 24/12/01 at 19:20
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Everyone, even SR makes a profit. Otherwise, they wouldn't be here.
Mon 24/12/01 at 19:04
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
TomUK wrote:

Just the
> other day, I went out to buy SSX Tricky from WHsmiths. The original game was
> £45. I had a £10 off voucher (from official playstation 2 magazine)
> and a student card. With these combined I got SSX Tricky for £31. A
> BARGAIN.

errrr... but ignoring the money u saved with the student card, WH Smith still got a huge profit out of you (that £10 came from someone!). In fact, from their point of view, they got £41!

Sonic
Mon 24/12/01 at 19:01
Regular
"¬_¬"
The_Vottanator wrote:
> Well I paid 70 quid for the original Turok on the N64.

How's that?

Why, why oh why. What a crap game.
Mon 24/12/01 at 19:00
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Well I paid 70 quid for the original Turok on the N64.

How's that?
Mon 24/12/01 at 18:59
Regular
"¬_¬"
I don't think that £60 for Conker's Bad Fur day is justified. Games here are more expensive that elsewhere because of the shockingly high value of the pound. Even for games that are already out here, it's worth importing them from Australia because even with postage its much cheaper.
Mon 24/12/01 at 18:49
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Games are overpriced.

I know someone will say that "games can cost
> millions to develop, so it's worth it," but to those people, I give just
> one counter argument:

A majority of the profir made from games goes to the
> retailer. Out of the reamining profit, most goes to the publisher. The developer
> keeps the rest...

I suppose I agree with this. But I haven't actually ever gone out and bought a full price game from a big retailer such as EB, Game or even SR (with the exception of Gameplay). I have never paid anywhere near £40 for a game.

Just the other day, I went out to buy SSX Tricky from WHsmiths. The original game was £45. I had a £10 off voucher (from official playstation 2 magazine) and a student card. With these combined I got SSX Tricky for £31. A BARGAIN.

Another place I go to is carboot sales. I got GT3 for £30 and Escape from Monkey island for £22 (I don't think the person knew the value of these games).

The reason I am telling you this is that, some people (such as pirates)may even say that £20 is too much for a game. But I am prepared to spend up to £70 for a game that I really want. Games are overpriced (at the retailers/publishers fault as proven by the above examples) but are still worth it. Imagine a sunday afternoon without a games console.
Mon 24/12/01 at 11:56
Regular
Games are well overpriced i mean it does take the developers and stuff a while to think about but they know what there doing. I reckon games should be £30 max and i dont know how people would pay £40 for games like AQUA AQUA the cheek of it that is why i would only ever buy games from SR as they at least cut some money off other shops but it still is expensive.
Mon 24/12/01 at 08:08
That's where they get is with the controllers and memory cards. I think that the games are well priced for the work that has to go into them. I can remember with the NES you got 2 controlers, a light gun, and 2 games.(Well, Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros.) Now what do you get with these next gen. consoles? The system and one controler and don't forget no games. (Might get a demo if your lucky.)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.