GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Super Strong Swearing Squirrel"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 23:09
Regular
Aha Conker the worlds most famous ginger swearing rat. It had to happen in nearly every post I write I can somehow stick this drunkard Squirrel in some where so I thought to myself why not write a post about this anything but innocent platform star. I could write all about Bad Fur Day but that is what Reviews are for, oh no I am going to write about why Conker is the future of the Platform genre.

If your looking for a bit of background on the character you'd have to look to where Banjo first appeared Diddy Kong Racing. Conker was a much more innocent squirrel back then something which he kept in Rare's very first Gameboy Colour title and Conker's very first outing. The destined game Twelve Tales Conker 64 disappeared in that time Conker had got drunk, got involved with the wrong croud and out pops Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Now I'm a platform fan it started on the SNES With Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. The N64's 3D platformers were just as good Mario 64 was out of this world and Banjo was absolutely brilliant. But after the initial excitement the platform genre got stale. Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Tooie are theoretically better than Mario and Donkey Kong but they were boring, to start with they were both ok but I quickly got fed up. A jab of excitement needed injecting into the Platform genre that injection came from Conker.

In brief the adult content, the various gameplay modes, the excellent multiplayer and the compelling storyline made Conker extra special. One moment you would trying to escape gun fire whilst running up a beach, another you would be throwing toilet rolls into a giant singing pile of erm poo. Every level was different, one level you had a shotgun blowing Zombies heads off, another you were in the Army armed with twin Uzi's, in one level you took the role of Neo from the Matrix and in one section you would find yourself whizzing through a dinosaur themed land on a jet board trying to knock cave men off of their jet boards.

I won't go any further if you want more information go and look at the various reviews in SR's database but I think you get the picture this game is different. Different is what the Platform genre needs and that is what Conker offers it. Mario is all well and good, Tomb raider is also an excellent example of a platform game meanwhile Conker has given the entire genre a fresh spring clean.

This is why there needs to be a sequel. After being left speechless by Conker's ending many gamers including myself crave a sequel as much as people do Zelda and Metal Gear Solid. Many clues have lead us to believe Rare are currently beavering away (or squirreling away... sorry) on a sequel.

The game ended in a similar way to how the game started this time with Conker wondering in the other direction giving us the impression that the adventure isn't quite over. Rare have purchased two web domains, Conker's Other Bad Day and Grabbed by the goolies, another big clue. Also after the shock ending of Conker's Bad Day a magazine interviewed a RARE developer he said "originally we were going to have Conker walk in to the bar and pull a gun to his head but this doesn't leave much scope for a sequel" HINT HINT...

NGC Magazine asked Rare for more information on their BIG NAME titles. NGC magazine asked them if any of the following were to appear on the Gamecube:

Banjo 3, Conker 2, Perfect Dark 0, Killer Instinct 4 and Gran Turismo style driving game.

Rare replied with only 2 are in development for Gamecube and Perfect Dark 0 is one of them. So is Conker still likely? Well Killer Instinct is rumored to appear on the GBA and Banjo Kazooie: Gruntilda's Revenge is also in development for the GBA so these 2 titles may not be on Gamecube yet. So is Conker still likely, I damn well hope so for Platforming sake as well as mine.

Here's to swearing Squirrels with helicoptary tales.

Dringo.
Mon 24/12/01 at 11:46
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Dringo wrote:
> Oh and is £34.99 really that much for the best game ever?

Of course not...

Though...

Isnt it also the same price as Conker at SR?
Mon 24/12/01 at 01:18
Regular
Oh and is £34.99 really that much for the best game ever?
Mon 24/12/01 at 01:15
Regular
Strafex wrote:

Make that 6 months, and besides, it started at
> 50 quid...

Actually the game arrived early march or was it february something like that but it still makes it abou 10 months strafex and all Conker nuts know that THQ published the game in this country forcing the launch price as £60... now come on i didn't even buy the game and i know that :D
Mon 24/12/01 at 01:11
Regular
I wish to be a critic yes but be aware i adore Conker, even more than Mario even more than Zelda its a game that appealed to me greatly!

And it was the gameplay, if it had the same graphics as Paper Mario or Zelda Gamecube i would love it in the same way.

Graphically conker was amazing for a cute game because lets face it cute games aren't always that attractive beautiful yes but it lacks the realism and depth the graphics Perfect Dark has to offer.

Conker's gameplay suited me perfect, when i read Geraint's review of Conker in N64 magazine he claimed the game was extremley hard and frustrating the two examples he presented us with were The countdown section and the underwater blade section. Yes i died 3 times at the blade bit but it was very short and didn't frustrate me as it did Geraint and the Countdown bit was damn hard but i found it fun i died but working out how to get past those beams were thought provoking and made me use the handful of moves i had to full effect i found it brilliant.

Why do we find it different? because we are different people, Geraint is obviously not good at precision (although not really precision) jumping i am it didn't ruin the game for me. You claim Conker is sluggish.

Sluggish? explain please i found Conker a joy to play, the bat bit was very funny and enjoyable, killing the zombies felt very rewarding, mowing down Tediz was so much fun and being Neo was the icing on the cake. Every last bit was brilliant with only one annoyance that damn undead level where you try and escape the mansion that was big and annoying as it was ages until we could save. It was generally scary and detailed which is why i found it brilliant.

Admittedly the graphics do add to the overall feel to the game as how disturbing would the mansion level be if it was cell shaded? But i am not about to call Conker the best game ever going on that am I?
Sun 23/12/01 at 23:31
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Maybe i should of said i hated the graphics?

You'd be lying

I thought the characters were
> great but i hated the look of the surrounding areas i thought they could of been
> done differently. Conker's Bad Fur Day is in my mind the best game ever and i
> never judge on graphics or award games high scores judging on graphics they are
> never a factor in my mind.

Not consiously, but subconsiously, the graphics and animation were what made it special. like no other game you'd played before. The gameplay was good enough but it was the way the characters and worlds were brought to life that made it amazing.

The raptor bit wasn't too good but that jet board
> race was brilliant such a great lurning vurve i was playing that in multiplayer
> for hours, the war level etc was all perfect i am standing my ground Conker's
> Bad Fur Day was brilliant because of its Gameplay and originality from start to
> finish no other reason.

The war games were sluggish to control, and you'd be much better off with Perfect Dark or Jet Force Gemini IF you just want gameplay.
But the characters and theme made up for the slightly sluggish play and made it fun in terms of humour.
Yes, the Gameplay was pretty good, but nowhere hear good enough on it's own to make the game great.

Say all Gamecube's were pink and you bought them.

Would you say that they're great because of their colour?

I'm not insulting Conker's game in anyway.
It's a simple fact, that's all.
And if you want to become a games designer then you have to recognise a game's strengths and weaknesses.
Sun 23/12/01 at 23:26
Regular
Salevaa wrote:
Meh, only £34.99? The game has been out for near to a year and
> it is £34.99!?

Make that 6 months, and besides, it started at 50 quid...
Sun 23/12/01 at 22:35
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
Or†ega wrote:
> Salevaa wrote:
> but I am definately going to buy it in the
> future,
> when it comes down in price from the rediculous price.

It has come down from
> the £60 price tag. I seen it in the shops for £40. I'm sure you can
> get it cheaper on the net though.

Yes, try any good auction site for a really good bargain.

"Like from Special Reserve for only £34.99 :D"

Meh, only £34.99? The game has been out for near to a year and it is £34.99!? It should be at the highest £24.99. Ok, now I'm really starting to sound like a cheap skate!
Sun 23/12/01 at 12:24
Regular
Or†ega wrote:

It has come down from
> the £60 price tag. I seen it in the shops for £40. I'm sure you can
> get it cheaper on the net though.

Like from Special Reserve for only £34.99 :D
Sun 23/12/01 at 12:09
Regular
Salevaa wrote:
> but I am definately going to buy it in the
> future, when it comes down in price from the rediculous price.

It has come down from the £60 price tag. I seen it in the shops for £40. I'm sure you can get it cheaper on the net though.
Sun 23/12/01 at 10:23
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
At first glance, CBFD looks like another re-incarnation of Banjo Kazooie. Parents, who are not normally up on games, take 1 look and say "Oh, he'll like that", just because it's cute.

Oh, but they were wrong!

I didn't actually know that Conker had much of a background, so thanks for that. I am unlucky enough to not have CBFD yet, but I am definately going to buy it in the future, when it comes down in price from the rediculous price.

I wish there were more games out there with the comedic value of CBFD - you don't need to play it to know how funny it is! The market for games that are primarily intended to be funny is very small, even when compared with the smallest of genres. Let's hope that CBFD pushes the envelope that bit further to what is sufficient to get this great genre really going.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.