GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dolby Digital Sound - I don't think so somehow!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 15:20
Regular
I'm now the VERY fortunate owner of a Yamaha DSP AX620 (Dolby Digital/DTS) Amplifier.

So of course I just had to get an optical cable for the PS2.

Fortunately I had also noticed that a few games had been released with the Dolby Digital tag on - '5.1 surround sound' I thought, lovely jubbly.

Oh how wrong I was - it's not 5.1 Dolby Digital at all!!!!!
Not impressed, it's actually only Dolby Pro Logic (Dolby Surround) so I seriously hope that someone somewhere gets a slap for it. Burnout is just one title that has the incorrect name on the case.

I'm fairly sure I'm right with my understanding of the Dolby Digital/Dolby Surround thing being 5.1/Pro Logic respectively.

I know that SSX Tricky definitely has 5.1 (and I think there is a DTS relation in there somewhere too) so I'll be dying to get that cranked up when it arrives - GAD prize! :)

Anyway - anyone else noticed this sound scandal or is it just me being a smug git with my amp? I'm sure I'm not.....
Fri 21/12/01 at 12:04
Regular
Burnout was rushed and only actually finished 5 hours before the publishers deadline, don't be too surprised when they tell you that it isn't actually supported in the game, because they didn't have the time to develop it fully.
Fri 21/12/01 at 08:55
I have to say that I'm doing my best to be helpful and sympathetic so that I can get an answer.

I'm fairly sure that the answer lies within that 'special' menu where you can test the Dolby Digital soundtrack, I've got a feeling you're supposed to activate it there but I can't see anything that would do that.

We'll see when they call back (Xmas eve apparently).
Thu 20/12/01 at 21:55
"High polygon count"
MR.COATES wrote:
> So they're getting themselves an optical cable etc to
> see if they can work out the problem.

Ha ha!

I'm sorry, but that's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. Surely these things are supposed to be tested during development?!

Very, very poor, Acclaim. Go and sit at the back of the class and face the wall.
Thu 20/12/01 at 20:00
The mystery continues....

Acclaim called back (good on them) but without a real answer.
Their usual checks first (ie using optical cable with Dolby Digital Amp) but also checking that I'm not using an optical cable longer than 2 feet long.

2 FEET? I don't even believe that there is a cable less than 1 metre (3 feet) in length!!

Anyway, we agreed that wasn't the likely reason as SSX and all DVD's work without any Dolby Digital/DTS problems.

So they're getting themselves an optical cable etc to see if they can work out the problem.

My issue remains this though - on Burnout I do not have a Dolby Digital soundtrack option via the sound setup menu.

The ONLY place that I can find anything to do with Dolby Digital (and therefore suggesting that DD IS supposed to be an option) is via the 'special' menu but no options to activate the soundtrack seem to be there - just test options.

Anyone else got Burnout and a Dolby Dig amp?!
Wed 19/12/01 at 21:55
Yeah, very odd.

It's as if you can test that you can hear it but then that's it.
You press x to continue and all it does is bring up a Dolb Digital info screen (saying you need to have the optical port active and use a DD amp etc). Then you can press x again that takes you to the music tracks but that is it.

You back up all the way out, and either go to the sound setup (where DD still isn't an option) or start a race (where DD sound has not been magically activated).

I'll let you know what they say in that case!
Wed 19/12/01 at 21:49
"High polygon count"
I knew I'd seen it somewhere!

So what happens in the game if you choose DD5.1 there?

Seems odd to have music in DD5.1 and sound in stereo... if that's what happens.

Don't know what else to suggest as I don't have a DD5.1 amp myself - sorry!

Let us know what Acclaim say when they get back to you - I'm interested to hear.
Wed 19/12/01 at 21:45
Right Wookiee.

The ONLY place I can find anything to do with Dolby Digital (but it's a start) is via the 'special' menu and then choosing music player.

There I see Mono, Stereo, Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital.
I can run the test and my amp does indeed detect the Dolby Digital signal during that test (so we're getting somewhere at least).

I still can't select Dolby Digital via the audio setup only Mono, Stereo and Dolby Surround appear as options.

I've given Acclaim a bell and they're getting back to me in the next day or so.

If you can help in the mean time then please do!!
Wed 19/12/01 at 10:51
You've got a Dolby Digital option too?

I'm absolutely positive that I only had Mono, Stereo and Dolby Surround.

Mmm, I MAY have missed it (although I'm presuming that it's in the same sound options section).

I'll check when I get home tonight Wookiee - I know I can trust you. Can't see it being a disc issue, I certainly haven't heard anything about copies not having the DD.5.1 soundtrack on it.

Cheers matey in any case.
Wed 19/12/01 at 10:43
"High polygon count"
MR.COATES wrote:
> Yes, you do have to select the type of sound and I think on Burnout the options
> are Mono/Stereo/Dolby Surround.

My copy of Burnout definitely has options for Mono, Stereo, Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital.

However I don't have a 5.1 amp, so I couldn't tell you whether it actually outputs 5.1 or not.
Tue 18/12/01 at 23:12
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
you need some dolby digital pc speakers make sure it's dolby digital not pro logic. or you can have a seperate hi-fi type amp and speakers and you'll also need an audio optical cable to go from you PS2 optical out to the amp (the optical out on the PS2 is near the power lead socket if i remember correctly)

hope that helps also you could also try asking in your local SR shop they *should* know

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.