GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dolby Digital Sound - I don't think so somehow!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 15:20
Regular
I'm now the VERY fortunate owner of a Yamaha DSP AX620 (Dolby Digital/DTS) Amplifier.

So of course I just had to get an optical cable for the PS2.

Fortunately I had also noticed that a few games had been released with the Dolby Digital tag on - '5.1 surround sound' I thought, lovely jubbly.

Oh how wrong I was - it's not 5.1 Dolby Digital at all!!!!!
Not impressed, it's actually only Dolby Pro Logic (Dolby Surround) so I seriously hope that someone somewhere gets a slap for it. Burnout is just one title that has the incorrect name on the case.

I'm fairly sure I'm right with my understanding of the Dolby Digital/Dolby Surround thing being 5.1/Pro Logic respectively.

I know that SSX Tricky definitely has 5.1 (and I think there is a DTS relation in there somewhere too) so I'll be dying to get that cranked up when it arrives - GAD prize! :)

Anyway - anyone else noticed this sound scandal or is it just me being a smug git with my amp? I'm sure I'm not.....
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:04
WHAT?!
Fri 21/12/01 at 21:33
Get your self a new TV!!!!!
Fri 21/12/01 at 21:16
Also (on the Burnout issue) how on earth have Acclaim not instantly said "The DD soundtrack never made it and we left the test option in"?!!!!

Their first query was ensuring that I was using an optical cable and a proper amp!!!!
So either they have no idea what they're talking about (possible) or the code is screwed.
Fri 21/12/01 at 21:13
SkythePig wrote:
> I'm glad this topic started as I'm just considering the purchase of a Yamaha
> DSP420 or 620 in Jan Sales to get surround sound from games and DVD's. Mr Coates
> do you think the DSP620 is worth the extra £100.
What sound tracks has
> Silent Hill 2 got? (Xmas pressy hopefully!!)

I've only had it a week but I'm sooo impressed.

Had a Pioneer Pro-Logic amp before which was great but this wipes the floor with it.

It's won a few awards too and it's not hard to see why. So far I can't think of anything major that I'd change.
4 optical inputs, 1 coaxial one, and about 6 normal red/white inputs, 90watts per channel....I love it.

BTW, I got mine for £299 at Richer Sounds (£399 in Dixons!).

Silent Hill 2 doesn't have a surround or digital soundtrack but it does sound superb without it.
Fri 21/12/01 at 12:47
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
SkythePig wrote:
> What sound tracks has
> Silent Hill 2 got? (Xmas pressy hopefully!!)

Silent Hill 2 uses a new technology developed by Kanomi which emulates 3D surround from stereo speakers, and it's quite convincing, especially at high volumes!;).
Fri 21/12/01 at 12:41
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Only the normal set up for SH2. No DTS or 5.1.
Fri 21/12/01 at 12:34
I'm glad this topic started as I'm just considering the purchase of a Yamaha DSP420 or 620 in Jan Sales to get surround sound from games and DVD's. Mr Coates do you think the DSP620 is worth the extra £100.
What sound tracks has Silent Hill 2 got? (Xmas pressy hopefully!!)
Fri 21/12/01 at 12:23
"High polygon count"
True enough, but then how long does it take to remove one piece of non-essential code? There's apparently no connection between it and any other part of the existing code as they didn't have time to implement it, so it wouldn't have left other bugs.

Even if they'd just taken it off the menu so it couldn't be selected and left the bulk of the code in, it wouldn't be any more than a 5-minute job in programming terms - they could have done it during a coffee break or something! :-)
Fri 21/12/01 at 12:14
Regular
Why bother if you don't have enough time?? Christmas deadline looming, advertising campaign set-up, paid for and about to run, and a game with so many bugs, you may not even have enough time to iron them out.

What would you concentrate on, an aspect of sound which isn't realy essential to the core of gameplay (even though it will let many rich people down), or the main game nt crashing out or doing funny things, i.e. problems which will effect 100% of people who buy the game. The developer and the publisher would have their name dragged through the mud by such a scandle on a console format.
Fri 21/12/01 at 12:06
"High polygon count"
Ah, now you mention it... I recall reading something about that in PSM2. I just took it as some kind of joke article though.

However, if it's true then surely they could at least have removed the code for the DD5.1 sound test?!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.