GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dolby Digital Sound - I don't think so somehow!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/12/01 at 15:20
Regular
I'm now the VERY fortunate owner of a Yamaha DSP AX620 (Dolby Digital/DTS) Amplifier.

So of course I just had to get an optical cable for the PS2.

Fortunately I had also noticed that a few games had been released with the Dolby Digital tag on - '5.1 surround sound' I thought, lovely jubbly.

Oh how wrong I was - it's not 5.1 Dolby Digital at all!!!!!
Not impressed, it's actually only Dolby Pro Logic (Dolby Surround) so I seriously hope that someone somewhere gets a slap for it. Burnout is just one title that has the incorrect name on the case.

I'm fairly sure I'm right with my understanding of the Dolby Digital/Dolby Surround thing being 5.1/Pro Logic respectively.

I know that SSX Tricky definitely has 5.1 (and I think there is a DTS relation in there somewhere too) so I'll be dying to get that cranked up when it arrives - GAD prize! :)

Anyway - anyone else noticed this sound scandal or is it just me being a smug git with my amp? I'm sure I'm not.....
Mon 17/12/01 at 15:20
I'm now the VERY fortunate owner of a Yamaha DSP AX620 (Dolby Digital/DTS) Amplifier.

So of course I just had to get an optical cable for the PS2.

Fortunately I had also noticed that a few games had been released with the Dolby Digital tag on - '5.1 surround sound' I thought, lovely jubbly.

Oh how wrong I was - it's not 5.1 Dolby Digital at all!!!!!
Not impressed, it's actually only Dolby Pro Logic (Dolby Surround) so I seriously hope that someone somewhere gets a slap for it. Burnout is just one title that has the incorrect name on the case.

I'm fairly sure I'm right with my understanding of the Dolby Digital/Dolby Surround thing being 5.1/Pro Logic respectively.

I know that SSX Tricky definitely has 5.1 (and I think there is a DTS relation in there somewhere too) so I'll be dying to get that cranked up when it arrives - GAD prize! :)

Anyway - anyone else noticed this sound scandal or is it just me being a smug git with my amp? I'm sure I'm not.....
Mon 17/12/01 at 15:36
Regular
"Tag as above"
I know on DVD Films you need to select Dolby Digital option in the film menu otherwise it plays using Dolby Prologic. I know this is the case with Gladiator.

Maybe theres an option within the game to do the same?

I can't try this out on my setup as I haven't got my PS2 connected to my DTS Amp via Optical.

Soz :?
Mon 17/12/01 at 15:46
Yes, you do have to select the type of sound and I think on Burnout the options are Mono/Stereo/Dolby Surround.

Now Dolby Surround (Pro Logic) is fine but not when it says Dolby Digital (which to me suggests 5.1) on the box.
Mon 17/12/01 at 16:35
Regular
"Tag as above"
Heres some thing I blatently niked from cnet's glossary.

After looking at this I remeber that Gladiator had to be switched specicaly to use DTS but as standard it ran in Dolby Digital.

My Amp displays what source the audio is coming from, weather it be Dolby Pro Logic (for most normal stuff), Dolby Digital or DTS, I asume yours does the same.

Dolby Pro Logic
The analog version of surround sound for home video, Dolby Pro Logic splits a regular stereo signal into front and back components, then usually puts a slight delay on the rear speakers to create an illusion of 3D audio depth. A mono center speaker is usually added to reduce disorientation caused by hearing stereo sound from the sides while watching video in the center.

Digital surround sound is recorded on six separate tracks: front left, front right, front center, rear left, and rear right, with an extra track reserved for very low bass. Although analog surround sound (Dolby Pro Logic) also often uses six speakers, the analog format simply splits a traditional stereo signal into front and rear components.

AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
This digital surround-sound format for home audio is called Dolby Digital in theaters. It is a 5.1 format, with six separate audio tracks. AC-3 has been chosen as the official sound format for digital TV, and is already encoded on many DVDs and Laserdiscs.

DTS
A digital surround-sound format used both in home audio and movie theaters. This 5.1 format is not as common as AC-3, but some adherents claim it offers better sound quality.
Mon 17/12/01 at 18:37
Regular
just one thing,

your amp may not light up the 'dts 5.1' light unless you have a subwoofer and 5 speakers attached. I've got a yamaha dts5.1 amp too, and it wouldn't play anything in dts 5.1 untill I added a the centre and subwoofer
Mon 17/12/01 at 21:10
Nope, all speakers connected and the amp performs correctly with my seperate DVD player.

It also works when playing films via the PS2 (DTS and 5.1 soundtracks).
Mon 17/12/01 at 21:12
Regular
in that case its a right jip
Tue 18/12/01 at 21:46
Wahey, SSX Tricky has arrived (thanks SR!) and it has DTS soundtrack (wooo) and it works no problems.

So that's that then.
Tue 18/12/01 at 22:18
"MMMMM, Chicken"
Since you all seem to understand the whole audio thing, could you help me with my questions in my topic Digital Surround Sound, its driving me nuts trying to figure out exactly what Id need to have Digital Surround sound from my PS2. Please read whats already in the topic before replying, all help will be greatly appreciated.
Tue 18/12/01 at 23:12
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
you need some dolby digital pc speakers make sure it's dolby digital not pro logic. or you can have a seperate hi-fi type amp and speakers and you'll also need an audio optical cable to go from you PS2 optical out to the amp (the optical out on the PS2 is near the power lead socket if i remember correctly)

hope that helps also you could also try asking in your local SR shop they *should* know

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.