GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Boycot Amazon.co.uk"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/03/03 at 20:14
Regular
Please.

I was one of the lucky ones who managed to orde a £500 Ipaq at the bargain price of £23 now the gits wont let me have it.

Ho hum.
Wed 19/03/03 at 20:45
what was it???
Thu 20/03/03 at 08:20
Regular
"Acid Casual"
A HP Ipaq H5450. Basically the best handheld PC money can buy. 400mhz processor, 64k tft screen, 64meg memory, integrated bluetooth and 8011.2b wireless.

Bah.

Order is stilll live on Amazon. Apparantly they pulled the site at 12:15 and my order was made at 12:17 on their http server (instead of the https that everyone else was using) so maybe there's a glimmer of hope.

But yeah there is no contract until money is paid, so as time goes on its highly unlikely. Shame, cos if they had been in stock I would have paid for it by now and it would be mine, oh yes.
Thu 20/03/03 at 10:16
"Darkness, always"
Surely the e-mail is a contract, as it fixes the price at time of order. They cannot then change the price without your approval.
Thu 20/03/03 at 10:25
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Dr Gonzo is right, I'm afraid. They can change the price at any time because the price is "an offer to treat" rather than a fixed contract price. Speaking as someone who studied law at Uni and comprehensively covered the Sale of Goods Act, I'm afraid the chances are you won't be getting the laptop for that bargain price.

Having said that, as Dr Gonzo said, if the confirmation e-mail can be held to be an acceptance of the contract offer, then Amazon is in the wrong and it shall be legally obliged to sell you the item at that price. The trouble is, e-mail/internet is a fiarly grey area of law.

Check out their terms and conditions and speak to your local Citizen's Advice Bereau concering it. Lay all the facts out before them and they should be able to help you. If their response if favourable, you should be able to fill in a small claims order and submit it to your local court.
Thu 20/03/03 at 11:39
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Bwahahahahahahaha

You tried to pull a fast one and they wont let you.

Bwahahahahahahaha
Thu 20/03/03 at 11:43
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Damn you Goatboy!

Go back to Life!

*point in the direction of Life*
Thu 20/03/03 at 12:59
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Yeah! Someone else has done Contract 101 :) Fisher v Bell, Boots Cash Chemist v British PS, Carhil v Carbolic Smoke Ball Compnay, can still ream off the relevant cases for this.

Pity I can't do that for the modules I'm doing now...
Thu 20/03/03 at 17:39
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Goatboy wrote:
> Bwahahahahahahaha
>
> You tried to pull a fast one and they wont let you.
>
> Bwahahahahahahaha

git
Thu 20/03/03 at 17:45
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I don't get what is so special about this particular deal, I've seen this type of thing happen loads of times. Even my lecturer this morning was foaming about it.

Check the t&c's. If they're anything like the company I tried to buy hard disks from for £4 each or something, they explicitly reserve the right to cancel in their we-are-processing-your-order email. You don't have a leg to stand on.
Thu 20/03/03 at 17:46
Regular
"everyone says it"
They have every right to stop the transaction.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.