GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So...who has a PS3 (now)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/06/07 at 09:11
"possibly impossible"
Just wondered if anyone has a PS3 (and has kept it).

What do you think of it?
How good is the Blu-ray playback and is it fully featured?
Does it Upscale DVDs or at least provide a slightly better picture through HDMI?
Is there anything good on the download service yet?
Fri 29/06/07 at 06:15
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'd respectfully suggest that Afrika is a PS3 exclusive because Microsoft would want to shoot everything and Nintendo couldn't figure out to make a nunchuck control a hippo. Those 5 screenshots and 2 videos released in 2006 have really got me hyped up for it though, so it surprises me that nothing has been released since and the gaming community hasn't gone hyper about this thrilling title.

I mean, look at this screenshot:

Afrika Screenshot

How can you fail to be excited? Where can I buy a PS3 at 6:20am?
Fri 29/06/07 at 10:04
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Well, as you may know, I work for a well-known Games company and although it's good for me to make a sale with a PS3 (=lots of money) I do prefer to see somebody walk out with a 360, a selection of games and spend about £100 less with us, than sell a PS3.

For starters - 360 offers a lot more titles. Ok, Ps3 is still young here, but it's kind of the the third child in a family - born a little too late to be fashionable holding todays releases.

The graphics aren't spectacular - they run on par with the 360. Although a biased magazine, the X360 magazine ran the two consoles side by side and they reviewed them to be equal in graphical capacity.

In our store, all but one member of staff owns an Xbox 360. The other owns a Wii. One member of staff who owns a 360, also owns a PS3. He despises it - 360 is more captivating. I can tell he prefers the 360 as he is online with the 360 ALL THE TIME!

Which leads to another point - the online side of things. Xbox Live, although costs £4.99 a month - is an EXCELLENT service. You certainly get your money's worth. And the dashboard interfaceis much better and more eye catching that the sony equivalent.

So, unfortunately the PS3 hit the market about a year too late with an unreasonable priceline (laughed out loud when heard that the PS3 was marketed with "HD Gaming is finally here". Believe it or not... it was here nearly 2 years ago).
So if you want to buy a glorified doorstop with DVD playback for your £425, then go ahead.

Probably not the best time to tell you that some of the coating on blu-ray discs have actually started to decompose...

I recommend 360 all the way - I don't need to push the Wii, it pushes itself.
Fri 29/06/07 at 10:20
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I bet my copy of Afrika that pb won't be swayed and will get one anyway.
Fri 29/06/07 at 12:16
"possibly impossible"
Heh. So cynical, FM.

I weighed it all up and as I do want to get into the HD media market I wanted something that would play the discs.

I'm not overly convinced my 360 can cope with being on all the time with films as well as games, though that would be the cheaper option, and buying a seperate Blu-ray player seems wasteful when the PS3 can be updated (like the 360) to include new features when needed. In fact, the latest update has already provided some more features for the Blu-ray playback.

Ok, so the format war rages on, though it looks like 2 solutions may find a happy medium; the dual format player is ok, though has problems, but the dual format discs look like a winner.

Now I know it also has upscaling for DVD, which means another box I don't have to buy and find a place for under my TV, it seems even better.

And it seems Sony have realised that their problem is lack of decent games, so hopefully they're bringing releases forward and making some more announcements soon.
Fri 29/06/07 at 12:35
Regular
I wish they would hurry up and decide a winner.

What I'm worried about pb, is buying lots of cheap DVDs now and find that in 10+ years I wont be able to play them on the current machines. It would be like having a 1000 movie VHS collection now. =/
Fri 29/06/07 at 12:49
Regular
I wish the PS3 didn't have Blu-ray so I could actually afford one =(
Fri 29/06/07 at 12:53
Regular
I wish the Wii was £100 cheaper.

I'm sure the Megadrive and SNES didn't use to cost almost £200, did they? *shrugs*
Fri 29/06/07 at 13:05
"possibly impossible"
All consoles have been pretty expensive at launch, SNES and Megadrive were between £160-£200 at launch (depending on packages), remembering that £200 was more money back then.

N64 was £199, Gamecube was only £130, while the PS1, PS2 and Xbox were each £299.
Fri 29/06/07 at 13:09
"possibly impossible"
Machie wrote:
> I wish they would hurry up and decide a winner.
>
> What I'm worried about pb, is buying lots of cheap DVDs now and
> find that in 10+ years I wont be able to play them on the
> current machines. It would be like having a 1000 movie VHS
> collection now. =/

If the current generation HD players last for 6-10 years you'll be ok till then at least. And even after that, if a new format comes out, most people take years to get into it, so they'll still be plenty of HD players that are backward compatible.

The new DVD players with Upscaling are also popular, making more out of the DVD format for HD Televisions for those not wanting to fork out for HD players yet.

If another format comes along before 5 years and actually becomes more succesful that Blu Ray and HDDVD then it'll more than likely include DVD playback anyway, being as it's still going to be the popular format for late adopters for a few years yet.
Fri 29/06/07 at 14:11
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> How can you fail to be excited? Where can I buy a PS3 at
> 6:20am?

If you dont fancy the games, why not just say so in the first place. Its certainly better than providing some disingenuous analysis that tries to prove that your dislike is really quite logical.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.