GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So...who has a PS3 (now)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/06/07 at 09:11
"possibly impossible"
Just wondered if anyone has a PS3 (and has kept it).

What do you think of it?
How good is the Blu-ray playback and is it fully featured?
Does it Upscale DVDs or at least provide a slightly better picture through HDMI?
Is there anything good on the download service yet?
Thu 28/06/07 at 09:11
"possibly impossible"
Just wondered if anyone has a PS3 (and has kept it).

What do you think of it?
How good is the Blu-ray playback and is it fully featured?
Does it Upscale DVDs or at least provide a slightly better picture through HDMI?
Is there anything good on the download service yet?
Thu 28/06/07 at 12:31
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
pb wrote:
> Does it Upscale DVDs or at least provide a slightly better
> picture through HDMI?

Yes it does upscale.
Thu 28/06/07 at 13:49
"possibly impossible"
Garin wrote:
> pb wrote:
> Does it Upscale DVDs or at least provide a slightly better
> picture through HDMI?
>
> Yes it does upscale.

Thanks. Wasn't sure. So that would save me paying for an upscaling DVD player seperately then. Hm.

And, yes, I'm thinking of getting one. I've always had, or tried to get, all the current consoles, so this generation is the only one for a while where I've not managed it so far.

Probably get one with the HDTV then.
Thu 28/06/07 at 13:58
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Not without a couple more price drops and more exclusive J-RPG's on it. Haven't even thought about getting one really
Thu 28/06/07 at 14:44
Regular
I just want to play Tekken.
Thu 28/06/07 at 15:50
"possibly impossible"
Alfonse wrote:
> I just want to play Tekken.

PSP then?

Or PS2?

Or even PS1?
Thu 28/06/07 at 18:42
Regular
"lets go back"
I've started seeing some decent looking titles being advertised for the PS3 and one of my mates who tests games for Sony keeps trying to get me to buy one. He thinks they are great and always tells me about different games in production that I should look out for.

If you can afford one then I say you should get it. There will be loads of good titles out before Christmas. There always is. Plus its a cheap (relatively) and easy way of going Blu-ray.

I'm nearly convincing myself here. If I had the cash I'd be straight on to amazon.
Thu 28/06/07 at 23:09
Regular
pb wrote:
> Alfonse wrote:
> I just want to play Tekken.
>
> PSP then?
>
> Or PS2?
>
> Or even PS1?

No, it must be Tekken 6. DR is getting old now and I get tired with the online ranking system as everybody and their ghosts suck.
Fri 29/06/07 at 03:35
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
pb wrote:
> Just wondered if anyone has a PS3

Not me.

I'll expand on that a little to show my reasoning, but it's not compulsory to read as the meat of this post is summed up by its first two words and the full-stop anyway...

The only way I'll get one is if I win one and to be honest I'm not actively seeking out competitions that are offering them, such is the scope of my desire.

With the lack of exclusivity between Sony and Microsoft these days it seems pointless to buy another current gen console when I already have one that plays mostly the exact same titles. Same could probably be said by a PS3 owner thinking about buying a 360.

Back in the Megadrive/SNES days it was, I'd guess, 90% exclusives and 10% multiplatorm, these days it's 90% multiplatform so the only reason to buy a second platform is if those few exclusives are worth shelling out for or if there's a vast difference in the gaming experience, hence why most gamers starting looking at Console A or B plus Wii.

Just to see if my 90%/10% out-of-the-air figure was accurate, I did a little digging. As a total 'these are very rough figures' clincher, Amazon lists the following number of titles available:

PS3: 99
Wii: 125
360: 271

Of those 99 PS3 games listed on Amazon, 26 are exclusive to the console (ignoring PC versions), including:

Ridge Racer 7
Tekken 6
Driver 5
Gran Turismo 5
Metal Gear 4
Brothers in Arms 3

and so on.

So ignoring sequels, (to be fair I'll mention that the Final Fantasy, Killzone and the Metal Gear series can't really be counted as sequels as they are/should be vastly different from their predecessors), out of those 99 games the PS3 has, in effect, 10 new and exclusive properties, of which only 3 have actually been released. (Motorstorm, Resistance: Fall of Man and Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom). The other 7 are, again according to Amazon, in development, and they are:

Heavenly Sword
Eye of Judgement
Warhawk
Gradius
Golden Axe
Monkfut
Haze

The compelling argument here is that at an average of 40 hours per game, it's probably best to stick with just the one console to squeeze the most out of it, so if you're on the 360 now enjoy it, then if/when the PS4 gets released switch back to Sony and sample the delights of Heavenly Sword 3, Haze 2, Warhawk: Wings of Fancy and Golden Axe: Keep on Choppin'.

To make this discussion totally unbiased I'd have to do a similar rough analysis for the Amazon Wii and 360 numbers, but off the top of my head I can think of 10 or so new console-exclusive properties (ignoring PC versions) on the 360 that aren't sequels and are already out, e.g. Gears of War, Crackdown, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Condemned, Lost Planet, Prey, Chromehounds, Kameo, Test Drive Unlimited, with plenty more arriving soon like Mass Effect, Two Worlds, Bioshock, Overlord, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Eternal Sonata and so on.

I find it slightly surreal that Sony, who've always had massive game catalogues, let the ball slip in such a big way in Microsoft's favour. My only regret so far for doing the PS2 to XBox 360 switch a year or so ago is missing out on the Final Fantasy series. Chances are I might be able to catch up on what I've missed out on on the PS4, but until then there's really no reason whatsoever for me to shell out for a PS3, and if Microsoft keep on going as they are I might stick with them for the next generation after this one for lack of competition.
Fri 29/06/07 at 05:20
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Lair
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
L.A Noire
Afrika
Eight Days
Folklore
White Knight Story
The Agency

All PS3 exclusives I can name without even looking anywhere. Perhaps amazon isnt the best place to do research on this. :P

Anyway, the whole post was just silly in my opinion.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.