GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So...who has a PS3 (now)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/06/07 at 09:11
"possibly impossible"
Just wondered if anyone has a PS3 (and has kept it).

What do you think of it?
How good is the Blu-ray playback and is it fully featured?
Does it Upscale DVDs or at least provide a slightly better picture through HDMI?
Is there anything good on the download service yet?
Sun 01/07/07 at 21:14
Regular
That's the problem, we dont all watch cartoons like you Garin. Surely you'd be able to notice a difference with movies like Lord of the Rings?
Sun 01/07/07 at 20:47
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
In my opinion the best way to see the difference between SD and HD is CGI as the images are usually far cleaner. Happy Feet looks stunning in HD for instance.
Sun 01/07/07 at 15:49
"possibly impossible"
But shops always seem to show them through composite on a split system, so the same picture is coming through to multiple TVs. There is a difference when they're set up properly.
Sun 01/07/07 at 11:13
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Chaos wrote:
> Still can't see the difference in HD from SD :)
>
> They showcase it in shops all the time, and it's only once I'm
> told I'm looking at something in HD do I realise. I'm happy with
> DVD and if I really require it, I'll get an upscalling player.

True - but HD TVs do look brilliant.

But I don't see a need for higher resolution - as long as I can see a picture I'm fine. Handy, as 99% of the time I'm not wearing my prescription glasses... :o
Sat 30/06/07 at 20:59
Regular
"Mooching around"
Still can't see the difference in HD from SD :)

They showcase it in shops all the time, and it's only once I'm told I'm looking at something in HD do I realise. I'm happy with DVD and if I really require it, I'll get an upscalling player.
Sat 30/06/07 at 17:26
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
THe HD DVD movie player for the 360 is only around £120 now (so grand cost being £400 for the lot) and if connected to Live, the unit will also receive updates via download - very much the same as the PS3.

In store discussions do appear that the PS3 has provided to little too late in the UK. elsewhere may hold a different story, but over here, 360 + Wii are coming out on top. with the release of the 360 elite, prices will drop significantly - I'm still sticking to 360 as the winner!
Sat 30/06/07 at 10:15
Regular
That's true, but Wal-Mart have other ideas.

Im one of those waiting for a clear winner before we invest in a machine.

By any chance are these HD-DVD and blu-ray recordable players? I don't believe when VHS came out that it was just playable and not recordable.

I'm guessing it'll be just like the DVD. =( The cheapest DVD player you can buy is £17.99 now. The cheapest recordable DVD player is just before £60.

As for digital video recorders the cheapest one is still over £100 at £119.99 for 80GB. (that I could find)
Sat 30/06/07 at 09:28
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think Blockbuster already killed off HD-DVD by announcing that they'll only do HD-DVD in 250 in its stores but Blu-ray from all of them. Blockbuster are huge, nearly 5000 outlets in the USA alone.

Kinda nice for Sony if they win that format war, and pretty much guarantees that the PS4 will operate on Blu-ray. Makes you wonder if Microsoft's next XBox will include a Blu-ray player...
Fri 29/06/07 at 17:59
Regular
To help kill HD-DVD, in American from July 1st if you buy a PS3 or other Blu-Ray machine. You will get 5 free movies.

Some of the 21 movies are;

# The Guardian
# Babel
# Invincible
# Chicken Little
# Corpse Bride
# Blazing Saddles
# Kiss of the Dragon
# The Phantom of the Opera
# The Devil's Rejects
# The Italian Job
# The Last Waltz
# The Omen (2006)
# Stealth
# Invincible
# Resident Evil: Apocalypse
# Species
# Hart's War
# Stir of Echoes
# Underworld: Evolution

Okay maybe not great movies, but then before July you were still paying the same price. Atleast you have a nice collection to start you off with =)
Fri 29/06/07 at 15:51
"possibly impossible"
heh. Nice analogy.

Yeah, it's a pain on the games front. Their online service looks to be creating more original and entertaining games than the retail market at the moment, and that can't be right.

My plan is to get one for Blu Ray and hope Sony get into gear on the games front. I very much doubt they'd abandon their games console at this stage, anyway, so they must be trying to do something about it...

...you'd hope!...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.