GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Flashpoint save ability"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Operation Flashpoint'.
Sat 22/03/03 at 15:17
Regular
I love Flashpoint and the expansion packs.
The only downside to it, and it's not even that much of a pain, is the one-save-per-level chance which can lead to ages and ages of gameplay only to be stopped with 1 bullet.

If you want to save whenever you want to instead of just the once?

Left Shift + numberpad minus key

Then type savegame

Voila, instant save.
Hurrah.
Mon 31/03/03 at 16:28
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Ahhh, you have the static problem.

This is a well documented issue with OFP, I suggest you try looking at the link I've put in and search using the term 'The Crackling'. No, not a meat fat relation to the Shining, but a sound problem in OFP.

Go to the link 'The Cracking or Static Sound bug; You'll find a lot of good tips on how to get rid of this problem.

The link is

http://www.theavonlady.org (space)/theofpfaq/

Good luck!!

:0)
Mon 31/03/03 at 14:22
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Hooplah wrote:
>
> I've heard that the XP/Soundblaster Live! combo can cause this problem
> with OFP, and the only way round it is to replace your Soundcard - so
> hopfully it won't be that...
>

Cheers mate.

I did a complete format. Bought the full XP home O/S (£40 off ebay - genuine product, unregistered etc) and so just decided to start again.

98Se had decided it didnt want to recognise my hard disk, and kept freezing hence the total format of 98 and reinstallation of XP. Generally the cleanest way to do it! If only it were as stable as Linux ;-)

Obviously, this lead to a total reinstallation of Op Flash. I think the most likely cause is the SBLive conflict you mention above (which I wasn't aware of).
Which is gay.

I do have a SBLive, and the sound does occasionally turn into static - I have to turn it off or reset the game. Maybe it randoms between this and a full resetting of the computer. I'll try the enabling of the blue screen, and see if it sheds any light on the situation.

Cheers for the help, mate.
Mon 31/03/03 at 14:18
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Alternatively - taking lots of screenshots WITH a commode.
Mon 31/03/03 at 14:17
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Taking lots of screenshots whilst on a commode.
Mon 31/03/03 at 14:13
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Goatboy wrote:
> I did a wee

Gerrid wrote:
> Mere words cannot display the emotion and feeling of the scene. If sending missions by email worked, I would do that.
Unless you have all of the upgrades and patches, I fear it would not work.

Can we find a compromise between the two?
Mon 31/03/03 at 14:01
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Gangsta Hamsta wrote:
> Quick question.
>
Anyone using XP having any problems?
Worked great on my 98SE system, but I got XP over the weekend.
It plays fine, but occassionally, it bombs out and seems to reset the
entire system. Which is gay.
Especially when I am about to deliver an attack I spent the last 35
minutes setting up. Yes, I should use the save thingy Goaty mentioned, but thats not the point. Just wondering if anyone knew of any XP patches?

Did you update to XP or did you start from the top, so to speak, and re-format?

Depending on what you did here, will effect what the possible problem is. If you simply updated, then it is probably worth re-installing the whole OFP series, complete with patches. (no XP specific patches that I'm aware of. Make sure you completely remove any lurking OFP files.

When you overwrite an O/S, even with another Microsoft product, you can get loads of residual files hanging about in the areas that are key to your game running. Some people are having to go through their PC, reinstalling programmes one at a time until they find the problematic software.

If that doesn't work, try looking at the 'Blue Screen of Death' after the crash. XP does have one, you hust have to enable it. To do so, go to Control Panel - > System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recover and turn off the automatic restart when a Blue Screen occurs, then the next time OFP crashes you should get a pretty good handle on what's causing the crash.It will probably be a device conflict, sound card is usually the culprit, though it can be bad Ram appatently, but I've never heard of that...

I've heard that the XP/Soundblaster Live! combo can cause this problem with OFP, and the only way round it is to replace your Soundcard - so hopfully it won't be that...

Hope this helps you out.
Mon 31/03/03 at 13:53
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Mere words cannot display the emotion and feeling of the scene. If sending missions by email worked, I would do that.
Unless you have all of the upgrades and patches, I fear it would not work.
Mon 31/03/03 at 13:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I did a wee
Mon 31/03/03 at 13:50
"Darth Vader 3442321"
gerrid wrote:

> I like creating cutscenes.
> My best one was on a long bridge. A troupe of motorbike civilians
> drive across the bridge, with some lovely tracking shots and
> atmospheric music.
> "The moomins are coming!" is emblazoned across the screen,
> as we cut to a Shilka driving towards the end of the bridge. As it
> faces off against the oncoming suicide motorcyclists, hundreds of
> parachutists fall from the sky, before planes start crashing to the
> ground like a fiery rain, all over the shop. Then the camera tracks
> one lone motorcyclist driving off into the distance to the cry of
> "vodka?".
>
> It makes me weep.

I'm crying as I write, your words have moomined me to tears like no other could.
Mon 31/03/03 at 13:20
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Resistance is ridicukously difficult. And you have to constantly steal weapons as well, and kep your whole team alive. Sometimes I just get really angry and create a mission where I'm in a Vulcan and everybody else is just standing around.
Voila - liquid cooled anti aircraft death, and a new, less angry, gerrid.

I like creating cutscenes.
My best one was on a long bridge. A troupe of motorbike civilians drive across the bridge, with some lovely tracking shots and atmospheric music.
"The moomins are coming!" is emblazoned across the screen, as we cut to a Shilka driving towards the end of the bridge. As it faces off against the oncoming suicide motorcyclists, hundreds of parachutists fall from the sky, before planes start crashing to the ground like a fiery rain, all over the shop. Then the camera tracks one lone motorcyclist driving off into the distance to the cry of "vodka?".

It makes me weep.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.