GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best recent (and all time) Anime Movies"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/06/11 at 13:49
"possibly impossible"
No, I won't tell you, you tell me!

I'm getting back into Anime after having no time to really watch them for ages. I've obviously got all bar the most recent Ghibli stuff (though only Ponyo on Blu-ray, not sure if the others are worth upgrading to HD for, probably = yes!).

I've just got myself Summer Wars and I've got Evangelion 1.11 (with 2.22 being sent soon). which are amazing versions of the old Anime classic series turned into movies and changed quite a bit in places.

Also collected some older Asian live action stuff like Ichi and Monkey Magic (the remake of Monkey).

What else should I get? Thinking Blu-ray takes precedence over DVD though.
Tue 28/06/11 at 08:25
"possibly impossible"
spoonbeast wrote:
Since we're on the topic of anime. Let me reiterate a single point:

WATCH PLANETES. PLANETES IS BRILLIANT. WHY HAVE YOU NOT SEEN PLANETES?

So what,exactly, are you trying to say? ;)

Added.
Mon 27/06/11 at 22:59
Regular
"eat toast!"
I loved planetes for several reasons:

1. it was drama that dealt with down to earth issues. Ironic considering its about space. Most notable are:

-equality. What happens in space tech race? Who really benefits when we colonise in space?

-What price will you pay for your dreams and ambitions to be first, to be the best and could you pay for it? and how far do your dreams go and the consequences of them?

-environmental issues both on earth and space?

2. Speaking of space, its one of the few realistic sci fi settings. All the stuff was researched very well. Like for example, food would in theory grow better on the moon as theres no ozone to filter the the sunlight. But it also means that you'll get a greater chance of skin cancer. Alternate issues include the issue of giving birth to children in space.

3.The characters are all great. They are clearly very taleented individuals, so why have they've CHOSEN the job of garbage men in space? Each character is deeply flawed in some way that makes them highly interesting especially their motivations in their goals and in life. Its almost touching to see even the most virtuous person have one of the biggest flaws that defines them to be both believable characters and also damn interesting.

4. It had a lovely ending. Made me smile and ended things nicely.

Planetes is EASILY one of my all time fav anime series along with the legendary cowboy bebop (it was what got me into anime in the first place)
Mon 27/06/11 at 20:32
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
spoonbeast wrote:

Oooh...Looks quite good! It's now added to my "want to watch" list. Always fun to see what other people recomend, you get to see anime' you may not have considered watching before.
Mon 27/06/11 at 17:36
Regular
"eat toast!"

Mon 27/06/11 at 09:54
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
pb wrote:
I I haven't got time for Anime series at the moment, just movies.

Know how that feels. I have lots of anime DVD's of movies and the series. Just haven't got round to watching them yet. May need a few off-days dedicated to watching them all.
Sun 26/06/11 at 23:27
"possibly impossible"
I loved FLCL and ROD as well. Shadow Skill was good too if we are talking older stuff.

I haven't got time for Anime series at the moment, just movies.
Sat 25/06/11 at 17:29
Regular
"eat toast!"
Anime? ANIME!!!??

*Crashes through window*

Ah yes anime! i can recommend one anime movie that i saw recently which was the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya. If like me, you're a fan of the series, despite endless 8, then you'll enjoy this one. It was pretty entertaining and had some moments that were quite heart felt. Especially when Kyon was asked, do you want to live in a normal world as a opposed to the orginal world he came from.

Cue plenty of time travelling and adventure.

As for other movies? Hmm... well there was Eden of the east: the king of eden. that was pretty good and continues on from just after the original series (which was also good). waiting for someone to dub the second movie please!

Oh and i watched GITS the solid state society and the dark knight anime.

Other then that, i've been watching anime. You know the usual stuff, Area 88, Visions of escaflowne, kelidostar and recently Black butler which is proving not too bad, despite the english accents slightly grating at times. Not as bad as helsing's dubb (the series was absolutely HORRENDOUS compared to the OVA) and to BB credit, its suits the period and i suppose i'll get use to it, but thats going to take some time.

edit: incidentally i've got millennium actress and tokyo godfathers on dvd, but i haven't had time to watch it. I know that millenium actress was created by the same guy who made FLCL, paprika and a paranoia Agent (the guy died of cancer i believe last year) so i've got to find some time to watch that.
Mon 20/06/11 at 11:40
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
Alfonse wrote:
Anyone got something with similar themes and setting to Akira?

Ghost in the Shell
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Spriggan (Made by same author as Akira)
Metropolis
Paprika
Perfect Blue
Sky Blue

The above are mostly set in the (possibly doomed) future. They have elements of sci-fi, action, complex storylines and characters with some sort of powers. Plus even more themes...
Hope this helps!
Sun 19/06/11 at 20:08
Regular
Anyone got something with similar themes and setting to Akira?
Fri 17/06/11 at 23:39
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
pb wrote:
Got Girl Who Leapt Trough Time and Tokyo Godfathers.

Heard of Sky Crawlers but haven't seen it. Will look out for that.

The Time Traveller - isn't that a live version (of sorts) of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time?

You may need some patience with Sky Crawlers, but it's still quite good and has a interesting concept.
Yep, both The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and The Time Traveller are adaptations of the manga/novel. So they are different in the way they interpret the storyline. Haven't got The Time Traveller myself yet, but it still looks like a good live action adaptation. Hope you enjoy the movie(s) once you get them!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.